• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should i take them both to vets ?

emmaclaire

Warren Scout
Hi all
Just wondering im taking Maisey to the vets later only to have her nails clipped, i normally do it myself but she is a big rabbit only i handle her and the rest of the family wont cut them anyway i wont be gone long i was wondering if i should take Alan her parntner, they are not together all the time anyway so i think they will be ok with this but i just wanted to check its not going to upset the apple cart xxx thanx xxx

Only you can judge from seeing their bond how strong it is and how likely it may be broken by one coming back smelling of something different.

I would take them both...I dont plan to ever seperate them even for a short time unless it was absolutly necessary as they rely on each other when they get worried/anxious...

Only you can judge from seeing their bond how strong it is and how likely it may be broken by one coming back smelling of something different.

This :thumb:

I could never take only one of my two for a trip to the vets. They rely on each other quite heavily and become very agitated and upset if they can't get to the other. It was bad enough having to keep Ginger in a small pen next to Biscuit when we were trying to get her out of stasis a few weeks ago, removing them completely could really upset things.

Again, you need to know your bunnies - only you would know if its advisable or not due to the strength of their bond.

Depends on the bond, some rabbits would split if one went away for a while and came back stinking of vet, others wouldn't care, mine are used to spending time apart (which came very useful when Nami was spayed and had to be seperated from the boys for a few weeks) and went back together with no issues or re-bonding

So I'd go on that, and also on which rabbit gets more stressed. A partner can be comforting but if it's partner gets really stressed out at the vets you're better leaving them at home

We always take our two pairs together. Its such a frightening experience, being taken from your home, let alone your partner. They comfort each other in a way Rich or me could never do. They are in it together, and come home together. It strengthens the bond they have so much.

I used to take both bunnies when I had Ellie to the vets, even if it was just a checkup. I used to take Fiver when Ellie was going in for a dental but not leave him with her because I thought it was unfair on Fiver to be somewhere he hated all day for no reason. I never had an issue with their bond and only took them both to vet trips so that they felt comforted.

Hope this helps :)

I agree with the others. I always take my two everywhere together. They have never been apart since they were born and again they have a strong bond and calm each other.

I am slightly different to the others in the fact that I sometimes will separate to take them to the vets. I will always take both if they have to be there for a long time, e.g a dental, and I've found since I've gotten Annabella that Barney's recovery from a dental is much quicker and he starts eating properly sooner. I will also always take Barney along if Annabelle needs to see the vet, as she is nervy and I want to avoid any extra stress for her. However Annabelle is a right pain to catch, particularly if we go to the vet frequently, and it stresses her out so much, that I have once taken Barney on his own, as he really doesnt care if he's on his own there (I open the carrier and stroke him whilst we are waiting anyway), and he isnt bothered by the vets. But tbh I like to take them both anyway as I like to have them weighed regularly on the vets scales, and I like to get their teeth checked at least every couple of months.

Back