• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reading stories about how rabbits are being given up around Christmas...

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
...amongst other threads has made me really angry this morning.

I physically can't do anything to help anyone/anybun and that makes me sad. I don't have the resources, the rescues don't have the resources, and it makes me want to strangle someone.

How on earth do you guys (rescues/sanctuaries) carry on?

It's sad, but it depends on the reasons. I had to rehome my beautiful Zeke and I get so depressed over it 10months later. I was so ill after having George, I couldn't cope. I was also having panic attacks everytime I went outside after finding my beloved Ruby pig had died. I just couldn't cope and nor could Andy.

You learn to live with it, unfortunately we can't do anything about the uneducated and irresponsible people that are around and the ones that are really damaging are those who get a rabbit or two and think they know all there is to know about rabbits and won't be told anything

We do try educating people but it's a very hard task and very time consuming, so we just get on with doing what we do best and that is helping the bunnies that we can help

Alice at Windwhistle once said and I quote "It's like walking in a blizzard"

Meaning that you can't see any end in sight, but you just keep going and doing your very best.:thumb:

I think its the case in every rescue no matter what animal and sadly the human race on a whole have no recognition that animals are living breathing things too and need happiness, love and attention just like the rest of us. They have needs and wants, many humans see a pet as just that - an object and willingly discard of 'object' when bordom makes an appearance or health issues arise.

It's a sad sad world and there is no end in site, but without rescues imagine where these bunnies would be, they're a saviour! :)

As a sanctuary we are not inundated in the same way as rescues, but it is very heartbreaking to have old or not prefect animals being discarded because they are less easy to keep.

I try to remember a quote someone once told me, and it does help, although seeing so many animal being PTS for some pretty pathetic excuses is hard.

The quote is- ' Grieve not for those you have lost, but rejoice in those you have saved.'

Just to add, until you've actually been involved in rescue you have no idea how hard it is and it becomes hard to give up, even if you want to. I know if we stopped we would still be asked to take in animals, and how do you say 'no'if they are going to be killed. Often you just need a kind word, a pat in the back for helping an animal in need, to remind yourself it's worth it, it's easy to become blinded to the difference you are making because there are so many you can't save!
I know of 3 dogs being PTS today, all healthy as far as I know, possible behavioural problems but cannot help as we are full.... All the rescues are- now that breaks my heart!

Last edited:
Everyone can help by raising awareness - posting links on FB, asking vets to put up info about rescues etc - it doesn't have to cost money, or loads of time :)

Good idea Blackers.

Plain old moral support is also good, having been official for just over a year now, I've seen how quickly people judge how you do things, when they have no idea about rescue. I certainly know we can be better, and will be.... But negative judgements won't help, only volunteers, and there are lots of ways to do that.

Good idea Blackers.

Plain old moral support is also good, having been official for just over a year now, I've seen how quickly people judge how you do things, when they have no idea about rescue. I certainly know we can be better, and will be.... But negative judgements won't help, only volunteers, and there are lots of ways to do that.

Totally agree with this, there are always those ready to throw negative comments at you when all you are asking for is a bit of moral support, but then they haven't got a clue what rescuing or being a sanctuary is all about

Education and spreading the message - rescues are people too so listening to their concerns, sharing their sadness and joys and letting them know what a great job they are doing

...amongst other threads has made me really angry this morning.

I physically can't do anything to help anyone/anybun and that makes me sad. I don't have the resources, the rescues don't have the resources, and it makes me want to strangle someone.

How on earth do you guys (rescues/sanctuaries) carry on?

But you can do your bit without heavy financial resources. Us lot all know that rabbits are really misunderstood - getting the message out there is key. I 'campaign' to my friends and family - sharing what rescues do, what rabbits need, posting links on FB and generally talking about it. Raising awareness is fantastic - my mums told me of convos in work she's had about rabbits and their needs and what i support (rescue wise and PaP etc) this is 'spreading the word'.

You can put PaP or RWAF posters up at your vets. The 'Make Mine Chocolate' and 'A hutch is not enough' campaigns are made for people like us! We know these things and we have access to the very tools to get the message out there.

Pap is a great one because for just a £1 a month, you can support so many rescues. I also thank the organisers of Pap every single time i donate because i am so grateful they've helped me help so many deserving rescues. On it's own, my £1 is just a £1 - put together, as a collective with other supporters, my £1 goes far.

I personally feel like i do a lot for rabbit welfare and that isnt by way of donating (i think we wish we can all do more on that score tbh).

I take my hat off to anyone who runs/works in a sanctuary/rescue. They must see some blimmin sights - and i'd not be surprised if they've given up on the human race completely - especially when they are mopping up the mess of unwanted Christmas pets. But i also think they know there are people like me who care and want to help as much as i can.

So lighten up Graham, grab a more positive outlook and let's help get the message out there. :thumb:

You could do plenty and it doesn't cost anything. I have put up a poster in my office to ask for used newspapers for donate to a local rescue. You could do the same. You can put up a poster in your car for make mine chocolate or rabbit welfare and write emails or letters to petshops who stock too small hutches. It all helps. :D

Every little helps.
You dont have to spend loads of money or even take on more buns - why not offer to help at your local rescue? I am sure they would be very glad of any help you can give :)

Every little helps.
You dont have to spend loads of money or even take on more buns - why not offer to help at your local rescue? I am sure they would be very glad of any help you can give :)

Thats a great idea. I bet voluntary work at a local rescue would go really far in helping them. I really would like to do more on that score. It's difficult as i will be working full time and i dont drive - my nearest rescue is 1.5 hours away from me - but i will find a way to do this! Donating time can be very valuable. Not to mention the moral support given to those who run the rescue/sanctuary.

Back