• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The story of the stray rabbit..

Hammy

Young Bun
So yesterday I was walking my dogs around 5pm & was walking along the main road cuz it was dark, as I passed a pub car park I noticed a white thing run, I thought it was a kitten so went after it as they shouldn't be out when they are that small but when I got there it was a rabbit, strangely enough I managed to tie my dogs up & corner the bunny & throw my jacket over it as it was obviously not a wild one. Any how the lovely little bun, I checked & she was a girl, sat on my knee in the car the whole way home without being bothered bless her, when I got home I put her in a cage in the living room (its a big one, well long & thin). She wasn't eating & I was really worried about her so today I took her to work with me (I work at the vets) & had our rabbit savvy vet check her out, he gave her metaclop & had me syringe feed her recovery food. Also, he checked she was definitely a girl about a year old. Also, she is a dental bun, that isn't why she wasn't eating, her teeth are okay-ish atm, but they will need clipping or something along those lines soon, her incisors don't line up properly, he bottom ones are too long & her top too short.

Any how the reason I am telling you this lovely story is what am I to expect from a dental bun? As I have only had my first two rabbits about 2 months now so kinda being thrown in at the deep end here.

This is a picture of her, I have named her Rogue for the time being, if I don't find her owner I am going to keep her as I have a sneaky suspicion that she has been dumped.
Rogue.jpg

Aw she is lovely!! :love::love: So lucky that you found her and managed to catch her.

I have two dental bunnies, their problems are different and the frequency at which they need dentals doing is different too. Some buns may find it difficult to eat hay, but it should be encouraged as much as possible because this should be the bulk of their diet, to help wear the teeth down and keep their tummies ticking over healthily. But with dental bunnies it can be difficult to eat hay - one of mine eats it like its going out of fashion and the other will pick at it. It may take some experimenting with different hays or grasses over time.

The signs to look out for are dribbling, odd chewing motion, taking longer than usual to eat pellets, losing weight, poos going a bit funny, going off certain foods, like hay or pellets, and the major one that you say is stopping eating altogether which is an emergency as you know. I'm sure I have left some symptoms off as I am tired.

What a stunning girl! She is lucky that you found her I'd dread to think what may have happened to her otherwise. It makes me really sad and mad when people just dump their rabbits :evil: I don't have any experience with dental buns so can't help with that but I really hope she is OK, she sounds like she's in good hands with you. I think the name Rogue is fab :) x

She's lovely, well done for catching her :) Her dental problems may well be partly down to bad diet so until you've had her on a good diet it will be hard to predict what they will be like long term.

Hi. She is gorgeous.

I have several dental rabbits and have had a whole heep more of them in the past in the rescue here and everyone is different.

If I am honest, when you have her settled I'd speak to your vet about cutting to the chase and getting a full head xray done and that way you know exactly what you are up against. I've had a number of rabbits that we started off by treating the least invasive way possible and in the end found out that it was only the tip of the iceberg dealing with malaligned incisors and spurring - because the roots were so awful that more radical dental work may have been more appropriate earlier.

Obviously every bunny is different and it may not be prudent to xray bunnies with any other obvious health issues due to sedation, but I now do this as a matter of course with rabbits showing clear signs of bad dental issues. Saves them deteriorating and saves money in the long term too.

Awww poor girly...well done for rescuing her, she is very pretty :love:

I hope her dental issue it only minor

Shes such a lovely little thing, very friendly considering what shes been through. I thought the name rogue suited her as she is a little rogue :) I hope her dental problems are due to bad diet, I'm not bothered about vet bills it will just be better for her if shes not.

Also how long should I keep her quarantined from my other two for?

She's beautiful & so lucky that you found her :love::) I hope her teeth aren't too bad, sorry I have no experience with dental buns so can't advise there.xoxox

She's gorgeous. My dental bun had to have his incisors out but copes fine without them. He has his back ones burred down whenever they cause his trouble but he has a normal and happy life. Good luck for Rogue. :wave:

Is she spayed? :) I think she needs to be spayed before bonding, or it makes it easier anyway. Good luck! :) xoxox

At the moment I have one spayed girl & an entire male...he is being done asap, booking him in tomorrow then its her turn

Awww...! She's so lucky she found you. What a beautiful bun! I suspect she was dumped because of her teeth. Bless her...:(

Back