• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RESCUES PLEASE - have you had any bunnies dumped or given up this Christmas?

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
If you have, what was the story?

I've had requests to take in a number over the holidays, including strays and possible PTS candidates and wondered who else was asked and if so, do you think any were Easter bunnies given up in time for the new puppy or Xbox?

I'll find out on Friday for you. We had spaces ready to take in the dumpees (sad, sorry state of affairs when that's the case) but I have no idea if they have been filled or not. I'll let you know.

I'll find out on Friday for you. We had spaces ready to take in the dumpees (sad, sorry state of affairs when that's the case) but I have no idea if they have been filled or not. I'll let you know.

Thanks Tracy. Just interested and might use the info in future.

I've got 2 due in on Saturday.
1 due to a marriage breakdown and no-one wants custody of the rabbit, and the other is a lady who tells me she found a stray a few months ago and it's been living in a pet carrier and exercising in her kitchen.
These are the only calls I've had up to now, thank goodness.

I've got 2 due in on Saturday.
1 due to a marriage breakdown and no-one wants custody of the rabbit, and the other is a lady who tells me she found a stray a few months ago and it's been living in a pet carrier and exercising in her kitchen.
These are the only calls I've had up to now, thank goodness.

Thank you for that Tracy.

Do you wonder about strays when people hand them in? I have gotten quite cynical in my old age. I have had a few now and sometimes it's genuine but the hander in (bad English I know) has thought they'd have a go at keeping them and then the novelty wears off of they realise it's not easy having rabbits and then hand them in as a stray when of course by that time they aren't actually stray, but unwanteds.

Mine have been assorted reasons in this last week not just stray or unwanted but also a rabbit taken from an unexpected litter and reared for a year, but bonding not working with owners original rabbit.

FYI folks, you don't have to be called Tracy to reply to this thread :) :lol:

As I haven't been answeing many calls and no one has left messages re the rescue , I can't say Helen. I ma meant to be taking in 2 next week..reason..no time for them, they are not young bunnies...and I did take a call to hand in a pair but said we had no room..that was a couple of days ago.

Thank you for that Tracy.

Do you wonder about strays when people hand them in? I have gotten quite cynical in my old age. I have had a few now and sometimes it's genuine but the hander in (bad English I know) has thought they'd have a go at keeping them and then the novelty wears off of they realise it's not easy having rabbits and then hand them in as a stray when of course by that time they aren't actually stray, but unwanteds.

Mine have been assorted reasons in this last week not just stray or unwanted but also a rabbit taken from an unexpected litter and reared for a year, but bonding not working with owners original rabbit.

FYI folks, you don't have to be called Tracy to reply to this thread :) :lol:

I am not a rescue [and not called Tracy lol] but am also quite dubious about 'strays'. I have taken in a couple of 'strays' that on actually coming round with them the supposed discoverer has let slip things which suggest a rather longer acquaintance with the bun then just 'found it a few days ago'.

Its also quite hard to catch a stray bun!

As I haven't been answeing many calls and no one has left messages re the rescue , I can't say Helen. I ma meant to be taking in 2 next week..reason..no time for them, they are not young bunnies...and I did take a call to hand in a pair but said we had no room..that was a couple of days ago.

I am sorry you've not been well Jill; I do hope that you are getting some rest and recuperation.

Thanks for responding anyway, and if you do get any info/requests in the coming weeks, maybe you could let me know?

x

I am not a rescue [and not called Tracy lol] but am also quite dubious about 'strays'. I have taken in a couple of 'strays' that on actually coming round with them the supposed discoverer has let slip things which suggest a rather longer acquaintance with the bun then just 'found it a few days ago'.

Its also quite hard to catch a stray bun!

This, and even harder to catch two that look like siblings I reckon, but there you go - that was the two handed over at my work on Christmas Eve. Not impossible obviously, but always funny when people hand in rabbit food and had a pet shop cardboard carrier too. (not these bunnies I have to add).

altho having said that . . our Parsley was originally a stray. He was spotted several times running on the allotments while we were away for a few days - No-one else had managed to catch him. When we got back and heard about him my OH went down to the allotments (a 16 acre site) straight away - he was back FIVE MINS later - with Parsley in his arms . . who had just run straight up to him!!

However on the whole I deeply mistrust the 'stray' version.

Yes I too deeply mistrust the stray story, I think people think its an easy way not to feel guilty, to not give a donation and to skip the waiting list.

Having said that, the 3 I've taken are all babies, and knowing the woman who knows the woman who found them, I'm sure she is telling the truth...she saw a bunny hopping about by the side of the road, stopped, manage to catch it, saw another, caught that, saw 2 more but couldn't catch them so ent back with her son and managed to get them too. All boys it seems, which made me wonder if a breeder dumped an unsold litter but kept the girls for further breeding?

19th Dec ... turned away 2 via rspca and 2 direct phone call to us ..

20th Dec ...took in 2 via rspca ...these 2 were given away on the street to some young boys (later turned out to be stolen)

24th Dec ...took call about stray ...couldnt catch it

31st Dec ..took in 1 bunny ...stray (but they had had it 2 weeks trying to find owner )
same day turned away 5 others . (1 diect call to us others via rspca)

we are full so only rabbits considered in dire risk being taken in at the moment ...which is why so many are being turned away .

19th Dec ... turned away 2 via rspca and 2 direct phone call to us ..

20th Dec ...took in 2 via rspca ...these 2 were given away on the street to some young boys (later turned out to be stolen)

24th Dec ...took call about stray ...couldnt catch it

31st Dec ..took in 1 bunny ...stray (but they had had it 2 weeks trying to find owner )
same day turned away 5 others . (1 diect call to us others via rspca)

we are full so only rabbits considered in dire risk being taken in at the moment ...which is why so many are being turned away .

Oh - Beth! How's she doing?

Camp Nibble got Betty on new years eve, Big Betty is a gorgeous black conti :love::love: I can't believe it, it's ludicrous. Betty will be snapped up I'm sure, but besides the point it's not right :cry:

I collected Noel, on behalf on Bunny Burrows, from a vets in Leeds the day before Xmas eve. He'd been taken there to be PTS as the owners are moving abroad. They'd only had him for a month :( He's 7 months old.

We also had a call about a pair of buns that need a home as the owners are moving and they can't have rabbits. We offered them a place after Xmas, but they haven't got back to us :?

I only hear about the buns in need that are local to me, so just a tiny fraction of the buns that Bunny Burrows deals with.

Not a rescue but I would also be dubious about some 'strays', having said that me and my sister caught Boris but he was clearly very hungry and came for pellets, he also seems to have a very trusting/friendly personality and thankfully didn't run although was very cautious of us and watched what we were doing very closely.

I collected Noel, on behalf on Bunny Burrows, from a vets in Leeds the day before Xmas eve. He'd been taken there to be PTS as the owners are moving abroad. They'd only had him for a month :( He's 7 months old.

I am also cynical about so-called strays but this one really takes the biscuit.... I mean, they didn't know that they were moving abroad a month before they were due to do so????? :censored:

I am also cynical about so-called strays but this one really takes the biscuit.... I mean, they didn't know that they were moving abroad a month before they were due to do so????? :censored:

I've taken in a few where the owners were going abroad and hadn't had their bunnies long, I don't think I beleive it either:cry:

Back