• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Erm - I'm falling for it again!

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
At the end of last week a nurse told me about a colleague who had caused a mammoth traffic jam in town.
She'd done an emergency stop on a busy road, leaped out of the car, & rescued a black bunny from being run over. She managed to get him home in the back footwell, took him to the vet, currently has him at home but can't keep him with 3 dogs. No one has been looking for him, although all appropriate people have been alerted. The vet thought he is a young cross breed & an intentional abandonment - unwanted Christmas present.

Today she told me that if he isn't claimed in 14 days, he'll go to a rescue. I immediately said, "Will you put my name down as a potential home". I'm nothing like over the loss of Thumper, but I couldn't bear the thought of a young bunny, in need of a lot of stimulation to develop properly, having to wait for a long time for his forever home. Also it's a very busy time of year for rescues, & at least I could save them a little on feed & more importantly accommodation.

Am I a total idiot?

No.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to do to me - but then I have ten, soon to be eleven bunsters, so am probably not the best person to comment:):)

No.But sometimes its fate,Jude.
and your heart is big.Its missing somebun very special, who is always there.Hes left just a little room.xxx

I think hyou're just reading the signs of fate. That's all.

Maybe it's a gift from Thumper.

No, not at all. Its caring about the little soul, even though you dont know him/her yet, and knowing that you could make him or her happy, and opening your heart to the possibility that he or she could also make you happy. :) Only you know if you are able to take that step, but it is a very heart-warming and kind thing to do for that bun.

Bunny will be very very lucky if he comes to live with you Judy :D I'm sure Thumper would be very happy.

No Judy you arent at all you are a very caring, kind and lovely lady and the bun would be incredibly lucky to come and live with you. As others have said its fate, you dont need to stop grieving for Thumper in order to be able to help another bunny. Please keep us updated :D

I think hyou're just reading the signs of fate. That's all.

Maybe it's a gift from Thumper.

^^ This. 100% this!

As for coming to terms with the loss of Thumper - if you felt you needed to 'wait', I'm not sure how long waiting would be sufficient, with the very close bond you guys had. It's now 3.5 years since I lost Scratty, and she was with me 3.5 years, I will never get over the way I lost her, I still miss her and think of her so much despite my incredibly close bond with Artie. I actually reserved Rudy only 4 weeks after losing Scratty and I was in huge emotional turmoil at that point but giving a home to Rudy gave me a focus and a purpose.

I genuinely believe caring for this young bunny who needs somebody like yourself will help you heal and far from being in any way disloyal to Thumper's memory it's honouring him by taking in another of his kind. I'm so glad that a bunny *may* have found his way to you. I hope it feels right for you cause this bunny is very lucky if this is his fate.

I think this was meant to be. You can give this little bunny a loving home. Our hearts are big - taking on a new bunny does not mean that you miss Thumper any the less; in fact it is a tribute to him.

Only you know where you are in that grieving process! And if you feel the time is right then go for it, it sounds like fate to me too :D

I would definitely think that it is meant to be. The right bunnies come our way when the time is right. I think this wee bun would land squarely on all four paws if they came to you Judy.

everything happens for a reason!!

and a lady once passed on a message...she said you have a beloved pet who dies...this is because there is another beloved pet whos in desperate need of your help love and affection. so each pet makes way for the next...really is circle of life..no matter how painful the loss.

sometimes the only way to help the grief is to get another pet....it makes your passed pet a love you cannot firget but the pain eases when you care for and eventually love the new pet...knowing thumps would approve and want you to ne happy and this bun to be helped by you:love:

Some bunnies just 'come' to you.
You know it's right because you don't think about it, you just do it. :)
(And I will reply to your email soon. :))

This is just meant to be . . the only thing I would add (from experience) do not expect the 'new' bun to be like Thumper - even if he looks like him.

He may be like him in some ways - but not in others -

Then again he may look totally unlike but be amazingly like him behaviourally . .

Whichever o those it is - he will be himself and not Thumper. Love him for that (if he is a him!).

Back