• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bandaging Sore Hocks

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

I saw this site and wondered if it would work well for Molly's sore hocks?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Surgery/Bandaging/band_foot.htm

She is currently having Aloe Vera Gel applied daily (done this for a few months and no major improvements). We tried bandaging before and she accepted a thin dressing well, however hated thicker padding and chewed it off. The bandaging I think worked well. We only had the first dressing on for a few days, and although there wasn't huge change, it seemed to protect the skin well. I think if we dressed and bandaged for at least a few weeks, and see the results, it may work better. What do you think?

I've also been recommended F & M ointment for sore hocks:

http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/ointments.html

I was thinking of applying this to Molly's hocks, whether we decide to use the bandage or not. What do you think?

I would only apply bandages if they are changed at least daily. The toes need to be checked every few hours for swelling.

I have not used the ointment so cant comment on it.

I would only apply bandages if they are changed at least daily. The toes need to be checked every few hours for swelling.

I have not used the ointment so cant comment on it.

I was thinking of changing the bandage daily, and applying ointment daily when bandages are changed. Although she is an outdoor rabbit, she is checked regularly.

From your experience of bandaging, does it work well?

I was thinking of changing the bandage daily, and applying ointment daily when bandages are changed. Although she is an outdoor rabbit, she is checked regularly.

From your experience of bandaging, does it work well?

It really depends on the individual Rabbit. Lydia tolerated them well during her first few bad spells (summer months usually) But this year, I mean last year!!, she totally refused to keep them on.

I dont really like using bandages other than as a last resort. There is always the risk that they may exacerbate the problem, reducing a good blood flow and the potential for creating a warm damp environment where any bacteria would flourish.

It really depends on the individual Rabbit. Lydia tolerated them well during her first few bad spells (summer months usually) But this year, I mean last year!!, she totally refused to keep them on.

I dont really like using bandages other than as a last resort. There is always the risk that they may exacerbate the problem, reducing a good blood flow and the potential for creating a warm damp environment where any bacteria would flourish.

thank you. I just feel like I should be doing more, they should be looking better. I'm sure you've seen recent pictures of her hocks, they are red and dry. She has no current infection, but I just think they should look better than what they do. :cry:

Back