• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Healthy weights for my rabbits.

Aliswan

Warren Scout
Hi everyone I just want some advice on what is a healthy weight for my rabbits.

Bambi is a French lop and currently weighs 5kg, she has been this weight for 6 weeks after loosing a little after her spay. Is this about the right size a lot of what I have read says 4.5+kg but I want to check she's not too porky.

Also I have just got a Wrex a rex (I think he's a mini rex) and he weights 2.2kg but I don't yet know much about the breed to know what is right for him.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks

It's pretty irrelevant what their breeds are compared to their weights. The weights you see for a particular breed are show quality weights, but a rabbit can be pure bred and healthy and still weigh outside that.

The best guage is to just look at them each, individually, and assess whether or not they are healthy. For example, can you feel their spine, not too much, but not too little, things like that.

The weights that you find online for various rabbit breeds are just a guideline and mainly apply to show rabbits who meet the breed standard. Bunnies are all different though - Alfie and Bubbles are both mini lops, both the right weight for their size but Alfie is 1.6 to 1.7kg, whereas Bubbles is only 1.2kg to 1.3kg.

It gives you a more accurate idea to judge their weight by their body condition & you should be able to feel the spine and hip bones, but they shouldn't be too prominent. There are a few threads in the Old Useful Topics sticky (under the heading "checking weight") which you might want to have a read through. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?297802-Old-Useful-Topics-Health :)

Back