• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excess Caecs.. :/ Question, Post #20

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Ginger :/ and i dont just mean a few. I mean LOADS.

Might as well be on a hay only diet atm. 3 SS pellets per day, hand fed, unlimited timothy hay, cut the hay out, and used expensive bagged hay, continued happening. Cut the pellets out completely could be an option, but i'd be worried about lack of content getting into her. She's having profibre pellets also to help get everything she can from her food.

I've even cut out all herbs etc now too.

She's only just had a dental, so doubt its that, is on daily pain relief, so unless its beyond metacam doses relief, i can't see it being pain.

Since her last GI issue a few weeks ago, she's been FINE, apart from this, which makes me think something must be going on i can't see, as i know when she's in pain.

Confused.com - anyone fancy fixing her for me?

I doubt it.Its not being ingested.

Does she have alot of metacam??

Thats all I can think of.

Uncle Ian is back at work.........:p

I doubt it.Its not being ingested.

Does she have alot of metacam??

Thats all I can think of.

Uncle Ian is back at work.........:p

0.6ml twice a day AM and PM. So i guess its a fair amount.

Ian costs me £83 if i want to talk to him, so i'll talk to my vet first, just waiting on her to call back, he's always on my list of people though if i really need help :)

Thanks yvette, i really appreciate you posting :)

£83 just to talk????????

Blimey!! I am lucky!!!

Or should I say he is??;););)

It's because he's a referalls vet to me, but your regular vet :)

I lie actually, it was £78, plus the F10 to save me ordering it.

I'm sure he'd probably reply to an email, but obviously, for professional conduct and ethics, he can't comment without speaking to my vet, etc etc

Poor Ginger :(

My vet is very wary about giving Metacam incase it causes tummy issues. When Mimi had her head tilt he would only allow me to give her 3 days worth, then have 3 days off, then back on for 3 days etc, and that was only because I pestered the poor man.

Is there anyway her Metacam can be reduced to see if it helps or is that just not an option? X

Could she be struggling to get to them? Just thinking of her mobility problems. Will she take them if you feed them to her?

Could she be struggling to get to them? Just thinking of her mobility problems. Will she take them if you feed them to her?

She sits eating them during the day absolutely fine - she doesnt really have any issues getting round there, and i see her eat them, but literally, i'll be sat there, watching her, and she'll leave a huge pile where she was sat, AFTER eating a few, clean them up, watch her, she'll do it again. Its like there are literally too many of them and she can't eat them all! :roll: Silly thing.

Gemma - i will be speaking to the vet about reducing her metacam, but i'd worry about how she'd cope, but i'll follow the vets advice and ask any pertanent questions if needs be :wave: :)

Sky - i'll try another type of hay if i can get hold of one, shame we dont have any decent (if there is such a thing) pet shop round here - might go beg the farmer to break a bale for me :?

Thanks for taking the time to post everyone, i really do appreciate it.

Want me to send you a bag of what Wish and Flame eat?

It's not wonderful quality, but it works for them. they don't/won't/can't eat the better quality baled hay successfully without excess caecals and wide, slow stomachs and also tiny weeny poo.

Want me to send you a bag of what Wish and Flame eat?

It's not wonderful quality, but it works for them. they don't/won't/can't eat the better quality baled hay successfully without excess caecals and wide, slow stomachs and also tiny weeny poo.

I may well take you up on that, but hold off for a bit, i've just spoken to Mr Farmer and he's prepared, this once to break a bale for me, but i have to pay for the whole bale - not a huge problem @ £7. Waiting for the vet to come back to me just before i go ahead and drive up there - its not like its far away, but she may want to see her or something first. Thank you for offering :love:

Knowing you're having issues with Wish/Flame kinda makes me feel better, in an odd kinda way, as she's so similar to them, being siblings etc - hope they are doing okay atm?

Going to sound stupid now, but what do you mean by 'wide stomach' - do you mean, as in, can physically feel that the gut feels BIG sideways? :oops:

I'd happily send you some of my yummy baled hay Gray but it would cost £8 to get it to you so you'd be no better off than getting 1/2 a bale locally :( Can you pay for a whole bale but take 1/2 at a time? Worth checking out a livery yard or two nearby, they'd sell you hay by the slice I'm sure (I do!) :D

I may well take you up on that, but hold off for a bit, i've just spoken to Mr Farmer and he's prepared, this once to break a bale for me, but i have to pay for the whole bale - not a huge problem @ £7. Waiting for the vet to come back to me just before i go ahead and drive up there - its not like its far away, but she may want to see her or something first. Thank you for offering :love:

Knowing you're having issues with Wish/Flame kinda makes me feel better, in an odd kinda way, as she's so similar to them, being siblings etc - hope they are doing okay atm?

Going to sound stupid now, but what do you mean by 'wide stomach' - do you mean, as in, can physically feel that the gut feels BIG sideways? :oops:

Ok, that's cool. They don't seem to cope well with hay the average rabbit does, so even the best hay in the world is pretty useless for them. Just let me know :)

Yes, literally a wide stomach. You stand above them and it sticks out very sideways and its very obvious to see, especially when they move around- they look more like rugby balls. It goes up and down depending on what hay they eat.

We get copious amounts of excess caecals too depending on if I gave them a treat. I also think the weather and routine definitely plays a part too. There might be something obvious from yesterday/this morning that caused it if you think back to anything different. I wouldn't worry too much though, to be honest. I would think this is a 'quirk' combined with everything else.

Ok, that's cool. They don't seem to cope well with hay the average rabbit does, so even the best hay in the world is pretty useless for them. Just let me know :)

Yes, literally a wide stomach. You stand above them and it sticks out very sideways and its very obvious to see, especially when they move around- they look more like rugby balls. It goes up and down depending on what hay they eat.
We get copious amounts of excess caecals too depending on if I gave them a treat. I also think the weather and routine definitely plays a part too. There might be something obvious from yesterday/this morning that caused it if you think back to anything different. I wouldn't worry too much though, to be honest. I would think this is a 'quirk' combined with everything else.

That makes really good sense. T has commented on a couple of occasions that she looks 'fat' one day, but not the next. I guess that could be it. I couldn't see it, but maybe it's because i see her ALL the time in comparison, so we'll work together to keep an eye on that, thanks :D

I'm not too worried about the carpet, as i see most of them during the day, just the few i miss and find one i've trodden on thats the problem :mrgreen: - just don't want her to have anything else we cant fix, but if its hay, thats fixable, so thats awesome, so thak you!

That makes really good sense. T has commented on a couple of occasions that she looks 'fat' one day, but not the next. I guess that could be it. I couldn't see it, but maybe it's because i see her ALL the time in comparison, so we'll work together to keep an eye on that, thanks :D

I'm not too worried about the carpet, as i see most of them during the day, just the few i miss and find one i've trodden on thats the problem :mrgreen: - just don't want her to have anything else we cant fix, but if its hay, thats fixable, so thats awesome, so thak you!

I wonder if that could be charted against like her stomach issues (if she is still having them). It could be an indication they are about to arise, but it's definitely an indication she is struggling.

I just looked on the website to see if I could see the hay they sell in the shop, online, but they don't appear to.

I can send a box of dried blackthorn leaves if you wish. Marie (vet) has used them for her hospitalised stasis buns with no probs for about 2 years now. They were the only thing which kept Thumper's dysbiosis under control.

That's really interesting, I had no idea hay could do that. Honey is often like that, I've been assuming it's the excel pellets and am in the process of changing over! Maybe it isn't that after all...

That's really interesting, I had no idea hay could do that. Honey is often like that, I've been assuming it's the excel pellets and am in the process of changing over! Maybe it isn't that after all...

It's not something I've seen to this extreme in a 'normal' bunny. It seems to be a problem only with Wish and Flame who both have metabolic issues.

Back