• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dandy is poorly, im so worried about him :(,Hes gone :(

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Dandy started with a snotty nose again so i took him to the vets on the 30th dec,Had a througher check over just snotty nose,no discharge from eyes and only a little nose on his lungs Was prescribed septrin at a dose of 0.6ml twice a day,but im sure when he was on it before he had a dose of 1.2ml twice a day,but hes under a different vet now? He has lost some weight not intrested in eating veg,can get him to eat apple and hes eating his pellets ok dont think hes eating as much hay though,Its difficult cause if i spilt him and truffle up he wont eat at all and if i leave her in she eats all the food:( This is the 3rd year running hes got a snotty nose always this time of year when the weather turns damp and cold,But its never effected his appitite you usually even notice hes ill to be honest,but this time he seems to be effected much worse:(

Last edited:
I'd have his teeth checked i think :wave:

Could be pain related or suffering from the snuffles inflaming his nose - so metacam might be good idea for pain relief and inflammation.

Last edited:
Is he having pain relief as well? Two of mine are struggling the same with snuffles and my vet always prescibes metacam along with the antibiotic.

His teeth are fine they were checked on friday no he isnt but i have some metacam so will give him some.must admit hes never needed it before

Hi
I lost one of my rabbites yesterday, the vet said to me the weather isn't doing us any favours as one day it's mild and the next it's really cold and frosty, she said that can often be the trigger for an illnes such as this.
You'll just have to keep him warm and make sure he keeps eating as that in itself leads to other problems, I gave Roxy watercress which she ate and it's also nice and soft for them.
Roxy was also on Metacam just one drop twice a day.
Good luck....

On the syringe you get with the cat metacam where is 1ml?

I'm not sure, we always get given the dog one and i take the stopper off and use a normal syringe. I would check with the vet before giving any just in case. :)

I think the Metacam helps to reduce any inflammation, which should help him breathe easier, as well as to reduce any pain.

Hope he starts to feel better soon. Sending lots of vibes for Dandy xx

Sending loads of vibes for Dandy, I hope he feels better soon. My Digby has been suffering with sneezes lately, he's been on baytril and is quite a bit better now x

My Gremlin gets snuffly every winter and her appetite goes right down. For her it's all upper respiratory...her sinuses get swollen, her eyes start bulging and she quacks like a duck (although she never gets snotty or sneezes).

In previous years we've successfully used Tribrissen (tetracycline) injections, but my vet has been unable to source any this year so we're trying zithromax orally instead. Her appetite has picked up a lot after only a few days treatment. She is also on 0.6mls of dog metacam every day (as others have said, this reduces inflamation.

I always bring Gremlin indoors when she starts getting snuffly, and keep her in until the weather warms up in spring. I know some people say this isn't good for them, but I honestly find the dry air seems to help Gremlin (and also Smokey another of my snuffly outdoor buns who comes in for the winter)

On the syringe you get with the cat metacam where is 1ml?

You can either pop the top off as has already been suggested...or you can stick a 1ml syringe inside the metacam syringe and suck out 1ml (the metacam syringe is designed to exactly fit the end of a normal syringe inside it...hope that makes sense?)

My bun had snuffles a few months ago. The metacam helped her a lot, although she needed injections to help clear things up.

She is now indoors, and is managing much better.

What weight is Dandy, as I think the Septrin dose goes by weight. My 2.8kg bun was on 1.2ml twice a day.

Back