• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scent Glands - Whiffy Rabbit - Practical Advice please

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
....Annie is very whiffy today. I picked her up and its definitely her. Nothing obvious with her botty or body. It whifs in her botty area and the fur on her face. I'm guessing thats from trying to clean. Any ideas???:?

She is an indoor free range 24/7 bunny who uses a litter tray.

Last edited:
It smells like old wee - like when you clean out the litter tray. The tray is clean as I've just cleaned as I thought that was what was smelly at first.

What and where are the scent glands??

Okay I've just been checking it out online. I guess I've been really lucky as none of my buns have needed this doing so far - apart from Annie now obvs. I'm going to brave it but don't have veg or baby oil - I do have olive oil. Is this okay to use or shall i just use plain water instead???

Ooh, scent glands! Nice!
My bunnies' don't need cleaning that often, but they do whiff. I find it very satisfying, cleaning them out though. Bunnies are never too impressed :shock:

Phew! Just done it and it actually wasn't that bad. I think she may have cleaned them already herself as there was only a tiny bit to clean. The pong has died down already.

I'm half wondering if she just did a big smelly poo or big wee wee before I cleaned out the tray and it lingered on her a little. Either that or she had cleaned her own scent glands...

scent glad smelling of old urine

I just had the pleasure of doing this for the first time last night! My rabbit who is coming up to 2years has always stunk of pee. I didn't understand why as my other rabbit smells like a spring breeze...I even took him to the vet and asked him about it which he replied 'ít's just like that with some rabbits'....Coming across a youtube video of someone cleaning out the scent gland I was horrified yet really happy to finally find the answer to Aloha's urine smell!!! I cleaned him (gagging) straight away!!!! I am hoping that this will make a big difference and he will be no longer be nic named 'smelly bunny' :lol:

with my old mini lop i used warm water and a bit of bunny shampoo in it...and cotton wool balls..lots of them!!

lilys the stinkybun...but only cos shes territorial...the whiff of horny/territorial oniony BO hits you halfway up the stairs as shes sat in my bedroom doorway at the top of the stairs..biting the baby gate and chinning like crazy. last few weeks shes got a lot better...no hours of violent chinning till her eyes rolled back in head!! no stinky pong or piles of pongy poops everywhere...and pee spots like you wouldnt believe.

but i know when shes in my bed..even having a cuddle she still pops out a few sticky smelly poops..just to tell the cats...this is mone and to put me in my place too!!

could have been worse...could have been a cats anal scent glands!! my kitty who dropped dead aged 3 from heart trouble suffered this from kittenhood on and off....when the vet did it he told me thats why skunks smell so bad...very similar to cats anal glands discharge. ive never felt so sick from one teeny comment!! phewwwwwwww

i just hope bluebell never needs hers cleaning...wed have to knock her out first!!:shock:;)

ah a newbie gland cleaner..never mind romy once done never forgotten!!! hope shes a sweeter smelling girlie now xx

I just can't believe in the 2 years I've had rabbits, I had never come across anywhere about cleaning the glands! I would change Aloha's litter tray every day and bath him too and he would still reek. He (and my living room) smells so much better now! :D

Back