• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female Rabbit now on her own

Hi. sadly I lost one of my bunnies today to pneumonia which developed on Xmas Day, we nursed her for just over a week but it got the better of her today:( She was almost 6 years, and had been a really hardy rabbit. I had 2 sister does and they were very very close.
I have always kept female rabbits and know they like company, usually when I am left with one I very quickly get 2 new baby rabbits and then have 3 until the older ones dies, and so it continues which I why I've had rabbits since I was about 5 years old!
My question is how quickly do I need to get Honey a new companion? Are baby rabbits better than an adult? Concious that I wouldn't want Honey to pick on the new rabbit (I know sometimes you have to introduce them gradually).
Any advice is gratefully received.
Many thanks
Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry it's under such sad circumstances.

How is Honey doing in herself? Is she spayed?

The best way to find her a friend would be to contact a local rescue (preferably a responsible one who spays/neuters) with a view to taking her for 'dates' at the rescue to choose her own husbunny that you can then bond with her.

This article might help you. http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingbunnies.htm

Hi,
Thanks for the link, lots of very useful info on there.
Honey seems OK, she was in the hutch when Roxy passed away today and I left them together for a little while after. They usually spend all day in the garden together, I put her back out this afternoon and she seems fine, she wasn't looking for her, I will see what she eats tonight.
She is not spayed so I will look to get another female, luckily I have tomorrow booked as holiday from work, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do anything until the weekend and that would have felt too long.
Many thanks
Rebecca

I'm glad she seems ok. Sounds like she has accepted and understands where Roxy has gone.

I would watch her behaviour carefully. She will tell you when she is ready. For some bunnies, instantly having a new friend might be too soon, for others they need one.

At 6 she is probably not too old to be spayed, depending on her health and it might be worth looking into for health reasons. It will also make bonding itself and the chances of a bond succeeding better.

If you get a girl it would be preferable to get a spayed adult, but equally, you are more likely to find a neutered boy would be preferable. The boy girl bond tends to be more successful in spayed/neutered rabbits, although obviously it does depend on personality.

Whereabouts are you? If you're in the UK this list might help you find a local rescue :) http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Spaying will make it much easier for your bun to accept another bun - whether male or female - and 6 is not too old as long as she is in otherwise good health - if you are worried you can always post a new thread on here asking for recommendations for good rabbit vets in your area - not all vets are that good with rabbits.

Not to worry you but unsprayed females have an 80% chance of uterine cancer by the age of 6 so she is running quite a risk.

Any rescue near you will be able to help with a new companion - and perhaps point you in the direction of a good vet as well - and even perhaps help your bun to bond with a new introduction from the rescue:)

Back