• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dry Skin

kashiandmol

Young Bun
Hi

I have a 4 year old netherland dwarf and he seems to be having a problem with dry skin. He's not got mites or anything like that, he's been testing and he lives with 2 other rabbits and neither of them have this problem.

He has the dry skin on his nose, under his chin, quite a patch on his neck and I have just noticed a dry skin around his rear end.

Any advice on what kind of moisturiser is safe to use on this? I've been applying tea tree cream 3 times a day and I'm not seeing much improvement.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks =)

What makes you think it isn't mites? Just mites are microscopic and unless a vet takes a sample of fur and checks it under a microscope you can't tell. I would get bunny to a vet's in the next few days to see what's causing it. I wouldn't put anything on it in the meantime, you may make it worse :)

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I should have said in my previous post, I have had him tested many times for mites, I've also had the one that he lives with tested, and neither of them have mites.

The vet said it's just dry skin. I'm just running out of moisturisers to try.

=)

Ah i see? I'm not sure what to suggest. I know some have used sudocream but I would wait for someone with specific experience in the matter to give some advice.

Thanks for your advice =)

Hi Sky-O, he's been tested for everything, apparently netherland dwarfs have a lot of health problems but it's usually dental (thank the lord Kakashi has perfect teeth =)).

May just take him back to the vet if I can't find anything that's going to help.

But if someone has any advice on what to use that would be great =)

Thanks

I think it would be nice to be able to find out what's causing it and I appreciate you're already trying to do that so perhaps other members can give you some more ideas of what to consider. Have you tried treating for mites anyway just to rule that out for definite?

I've used aloe vera when Alfie had some patches of dry skin on his ears with successful results; you would need to let it soak in for a while to make sure he or his friends didn't ingest it. :)

If he has had a round of antibiotics then I would look for a reason for him to be feeling 'low'.

I would also be wondering if there was a trigger, such as if it initially appeared within 2 weeks of having a Cylap VHD jab (or another jab).

Is it thickened skin? flakey skin? Is he bald in the area?

Could his friends be overgrooming him for some reason?

Could it be a food intolerance? anything new in his diet? Anything new he is eating?

I have 11 nethies here and have never had this problem. I have, however, had a problem with very dry skin in a lop a couple of years ago. It used to appear when she was low, moulting and within the last weeks of her life (she had cancer- intially skin cancer, and then that spread).

Hi Karen

I might get some mite stuff just to be on the safe side. Can you suggest any that are safe for rabbits?

Can you use any aloe vera gel/cream or did you use a specific one?

Thanks

:D

Hi Sky-O

He's not been on antibiotics for a while and I can't see any reason for him feeling low. He's been his usually self, running around and playing, eating and drinking normally, nothing seems to have changed. He's had the dry skin on his nose for a couple of years now and when it first started I had him tested for everything and the vet couldn't seem to find a medical reason for why he has it and just put it down to dry skin. The skin appears to be thickened and the only place that he has gone bald is the area on his neck below his chin. I don't think it's due to Molly overgrooming him as it started before I got her. He's been eating the same brand of adult food since he was 6 months old and I haven't fed him anything new, either treat or veg or fruit wise.

See why I'm so confused on what else to try? lol

:D

This was the gel I used:
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1631&prodid=1752&cid=77&sid=0 Definitely look for an organic one if you can't get this one. :)

Ivermectin is used to treat mites. Your vet can give a course of 3 injections, or you can a buy spot on treatment called xeno 450 http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...xeno-450-6-pipettes-ivermectin-spot-on-p-1500 Given how long he's had the dry skin on his nose though, I would think it's pretty unlikely to be mites though. (But I could be wrong)

Back