• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to save 2 bunnies from being PTS......

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
...have contacted 3 local rabbity people now and only one has got back to me, but she can't take them in until summer :( Why aren't there any rescues over here :cry: It would be such a terrible waste if these two were PTS, they are so gorgeous and seem so sweet :cry:

No point in this really, just need support and vibes that someone will be able to save them :(

I'm sorry to hear this :( I will send positive vibes that they can be saved. Do you know why they are being PTS? I take it that you are unable to take them? How sad :cry:

They are being PTS because no one wants them :cry: They were handed in to my local vet by someone who had just got fed up with them. Only a year old :cry: Gorgeous black Lionhead sisters who seem so sweet and inquisitive (popped in to say hi to them the other day when I got Septrin for Boris).

I technically could take them in and give them a temporary home until summer if my mother approves, but I'm unemployed and struggling financially at the moment (supposed to be getting money for being on a Job Hunting programme at my local job centre but have no idea when) so I don't know if it would be the best thing for them. I'd rather have someone else who has more experience and money etc. take them on but if no one else steps forward I don't know if I have a choice really. I can't just leave them to die :cry: It would haunt me forever.

They are being PTS because no one wants them :cry: They were handed in to my local vet by someone who had just got fed up with them. Only a year old :cry: Gorgeous black Lionhead sisters who seem so sweet and inquisitive (popped in to say hi to them the other day when I got Septrin for Boris).

I technically could take them in and give them a temporary home until summer if my mother approves, but I'm unemployed and struggling financially at the moment (supposed to be getting money for being on a Job Hunting programme at my local job centre but have no idea when) so I don't know if it would be the best thing for them. I'd rather have someone else who has more experience and money etc. take them on but if no one else steps forward I don't know if I have a choice really. I can't just leave them to die :cry: It would haunt me forever.

I do hope someone comes forward - otherwise I would feel as you do about leaving them to die.:cry:

Would the rescue be willing to let you foster them until summer? That way you wouldn't feel so solely responsible for them.

Would the rescue be willing to let you foster them until summer? That way you wouldn't feel so solely responsible for them.

The thing is..it's not exactly a rescue, it's actually an ex-breeder who still occasionally breeds Rexes and sometimes takes in unwanted rabbits. I have emailed her back and asked about me fostering the buns until Summer and if she knew for sure that she'd be able to take them in then. But if I do take them in now I'm probably going to have to pay for any vet bills etc. myself, which is why I'm wondering if it's such a good idea.

The thing is..it's not exactly a rescue, it's actually an ex-breeder who still occasionally breeds Rexes and sometimes takes in unwanted rabbits. I have emailed her back and asked about me fostering the buns until Summer and if she knew for sure that she'd be able to take them in then. But if I do take them in now I'm probably going to have to pay for any vet bills etc. myself, which is why I'm wondering if it's such a good idea.

I see, its so difficult, I wish I knew what to suggest :(

Yeah :( It really is a complicated situation. In a way I wish I hadn't found out about them because the thought of them dying because nobody wants them is just killing me :cry: But at the same time I wonder if maybe it's fate again...wanting me to help these bunnies for whatever reason. I adopted Bella under similar circumstances and that worked out so well. I dont know. Maybe I'm stupid for believing in that stuff but I just get the feeling I'm supposed to help them.

Yeah :( It really is a complicated situation. In a way I wish I hadn't found out about them because the thought of them dying because nobody wants them is just killing me :cry: But at the same time I wonder if maybe it's fate again...wanting me to help these bunnies for whatever reason. I adopted Bella under similar circumstances and that worked out so well. I dont know. Maybe I'm stupid for believing in that stuff but I just get the feeling I'm supposed to help them.

This is not going to help - but I have always felt that being told/finding out about something like this personally and directly does mean that I am 'fated' to do something for them [obviously I don't mean ALL the buns that are in rescues or are advertised in well known places - just the one's that somehow 'come to my attention' through some direct means that seems almost pointed at me . . ]

Maybe ask the vets for a two week breathing period on the understanding you'll try to find them a home. Then try convasing the area for a new owner. Do you have a local paper? I'd give them a call - I know our local news would feature something on the lines of 'bunnies dumped at Christmas need an urgent new home'. make it sympathetic to the vets so they get publicity (good incentive for keeping them a bit longer) - they already saved them from euthanasia by holding on to them temporarily but they can't keep them forever, sob, sob. If you have local radio - try that too. Then poster pet shops, library etc.

That way you can help but without putting yourself in potential difficulties :)

it would be so sad to let them die they are innocent buns and deserve a home i hope you make the right decision good luck

...I wonder if maybe it's fate again...wanting me to help these bunnies for whatever reason. I adopted Bella under similar circumstances and that worked out so well.
I don't really believe in fate... but I do think life is what you make it (and similar clichés!) and people who go out and grab life by the throat often just make things work. I'm not saying you should adopt these buns because I'm not living your life with your challenges... but... often when we do something that doesn't seem entirely sensible, we do it anyway and often find a way of making it work.

Good luck with your decision. I have to say that I'm glad I'm not in the same quandary...

And "what Tamsin said"... :thumb:

Thanks everyone, I'll try to talk to the vets and maybe ask if I can say hi to them properly so I can get a better idea of what their personalities are like. From what I've seen so far one seems a little more confident than the other, who looked quite nervous when I approached :(

Mum told me there's an older couple about a 15 min walk away from us who have a lot of rabbits, I might drop by there tomorrow and ask if they can help out, or if they're not home put a note in their letterbox. I could put posters up as well :)

that is so sad, not enough love in the world for 2 little innocent souls

I hope these two find a loving forever home and are not PTS

please let us know how it goes

Fingers crossed for these buns that you can figure something out that will work. Good for you for trying so hard to help them! :love:

This is not going to help - but I have always felt that being told/finding out about something like this personally and directly does mean that I am 'fated' to do something for them [obviously I don't mean ALL the buns that are in rescues or are advertised in well known places - just the one's that somehow 'come to my attention' through some direct means that seems almost pointed at me . . ]

Agree. I'd just lost Drusilla (black rex) when the vets rang to ask me to take Mole (also black uppy eared) and in all the years we've used that vet (about 25) this has never happened before. Mole arrived, and immediately befriended Drusilla's group and sat in the places she sat. No-bun could ever replace Drusilla but it was very odd that he arrived within about four days of losing her, that he looked so similar, and settled into her group so readily. And even though he came with all sorts of dental problems I felt that it was meant to be - in fact his dental problems made his chance of anyone else taking him even lower (not great anyway for a black bun) and it was literally me or PTS. He's turned out to be the gentlest and sweetest natured bun ever, and is the only one of the whole lot who puts himself to bed as soon as it starts getting slightly dark. :love: He started going into his own hutch from Day 2 and the thought that he could have been pts is terrifying. But it would still be terrifying even if he had a stroppy personality and was totally uncooperative - all buns deserve a chance.

I do hope a solution for these two emerges...

Checked my email again, hoping someone would have replied......but there was nothing :(

This is actually getting ridiculous, why write on your website that the best way of contacting you is by email when you're not going to bloody answer? :evil:

Although, who am I to judge people, maybe there's a reason for why nobody is replying. It's just frustrating :cry:

Back