• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*URGENT* My Bunny has stopped eating!!

Sarah.H

New Kit
Hello,

My Bunny stopped eating a few days ago after being on a couple of long journeys (which she is normally ok with). She is still eating a bit of Hay and some treats but isn't touching her food. We bought a different brand to see if she'll eat that instead and she hasn't touched it. She is still drinking normally and her poop still looks the same as normal - she is still lively and lovely and her temperament hasn't changed. She feels lighter and smaller - what should I do?

Thanks in advance for your help - let me know if you need any more info!!

Sarah xx

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum :)

When a bunny stops eating it is very serious and can be fatal so what you need to do is to call your vet and get her seen as an emergency tonight.

Good luck!

Welcome :)

She needs to see a vet asap. Not eating in rabbits is very serious and if she hasn't eaten properly for a few days then it's vital she sees a vet very, very soon.

Not eating can be caused by many things so only a vet can identify the cause of her issue. Us guessing won't help and may delay you getting her treatment if you sit and wait for replies.

Best call now :)

They're not open and don't have an emergency number! They're not very good with rabbits anyway - how do I find an emergency vet!? I'm in the Bristol area!

Usually if they aren't open there is an answer phone message with emergency vet details. If not I can only think of trying google or yellow pages or some directory enquiries service.

ETA: Oh well done Emmiiee! :thumb:

Usually if they aren't open there is an answer phone message with emergency vet details. If not I can only think of trying google or yellow pages or some directory enquiries service.

ETA: Oh well done Emmiiee! :thumb:

I have them to hand, as their my local emergencies x

Ok so we've spoken to the vet in Nailsea and they've said try her on more vegetables and baby food?! Anyone heard of this before?

Have they examined her? They really need to determine the cause of her not eating whether it's teeth problems, gut problems or something else. If she was my bun I'd want her examined before doing anything with her diet.

No they haven't examined - but we described everything to her and she doesn't think it's overly urgent as she's still eating veggies. She's munching on some cabbage right now with mighty gusto!! Hopefully she'll be ok!! Thanks for all ur help guys!!!!

So is she fine on softer things? Maybe you could try mushing her pellets up with some water and see if she'll eat that. If she's ok with softer things but is declining harder things it could be a teeth issue.

The vet said to try that also - she does eat softer foods but not as much as she normally does.

NEWS FLASH!!! She has just started gobbling down her bowl of pellets!! Ha!@ Silly BUnny - making us all worry and as soon as we go to do something she instantly gets better!!

Will be keeping a very close on her though!! Thank you so much for all ur help guys!!! xxx

I'm glad she is eating now. Given that she has been eating differently from normal I would still advise a vet check tomorrow.

Glad your bun is eating again, its very worrying when they stop.
As well as what others have suggested a couple of things came to mind from your original post.
Could I suggest that when you take her on long journeys that you keep everything else the same?
Possibly changing pellets was just too much on top of the travel?
Also when thinking about changing a buns pellets you need to do this gradually & you didn't mention doing that either.
That way you still have some of the original pellets in reserve if the new ones are not a hit & it is easier on your buns gut.
Hope she continues to eat but as Sky O says a vet check by a good bunny vet is warranted to be on the safe side. :)

Sorry I missed this Sarah, do you know which vet you spoke to? I use Golden Valley and they have always been excellent with my buns.

Back