• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this worms? (poo pic) Help!! Update P29!

megansmummy

Mama Doe
I just went to clean out the buns bedroom and found this...

The white bits are like threads and wernt moving :? Is it worms? I started them yesterday on pancur (?worming stuff) 9 day just becuase our vet gave it to me...if these are worms will the 9 day be enough?

406923_10151110989495613_804175612_22249332_428800165_n.jpg

407230_10151110989875613_804175612_22249335_1989497860_n.jpg

Help!! :?

Last edited:
I honestly have no idea :shock: They look like worms but I can't help as I've never encountered worms in bunnies.
How are the bunnies themselves? keeping weight on etc?

Pinworms :thumb:

After 3 days they will die and either just look like brown strings or not be visible at all. I've had reinfection problems sometimes, however, in other bunnies 9 days has been fine :)

Looks very much like pinworms. You need to give a 9 day course of panacur. Thyme the herb is supposed to help expell them.

Im reay fretting :( buns are both fine in themselves, eating normally, both great weights etc :?

Try not to worry. The fact they are passing them out is a positive because it means their gut is dealing with them and if you started the Panacur yesterday, then by tomorrow they will be dying/dead and will just pass out the system.

We've had them several times here in different bunnies, and all have gone on to be fine :)

After 3 days they will die and either just look like brown strings or not be visible at all. I've had reinfection problems sometimes, however, in other bunnies 9 days has been fine :)

So i should continue with the panacur? Do i need to disinfect everything? I struggled to get them to take the panacur yesterday and ended up putting it on a tiny piece of apple...is there an easier way?

I've never seen anything like this either. Are these now showing in the poo because of the course of panacur? And so they are passing through?

I've never seen anything like this either. Are these now showing in the poo because of the course of panacur? And so they are passing through?

Likely that was complete fluke, to be honest, because the Panacur only kills from day 3 onwards. I wonder if maybe it did something to the gut to help them dispell out, but I would be more inclined to think it was a weird coincidence.

So i should continue with the panacur? Do i need to disinfect everything? I struggled to get them to take the panacur yesterday and ended up putting it on a tiny piece of apple...is there an easier way?

Yes, definiely continue with the Panacur, especially as your vet gave it to you.

I just tend to squirt it in their mouth, but some of my bunnies will take it rolled up in basil or mushed with banana.

What are your bunnies favourite foods?

The first few times we had it I did a lot of scrubbing and changing and the bunnies still ended up being reinfected. The times I have been slacker they haven't been reinfected. Typical bunnies! I would say use boiling water if you can, to kill any eggs, but, from what I understand, the eggs are so tiny they are almost airborn.

But they pose no threat to any other species other than a rabbit :)

Likely that was complete fluke, to be honest, because the Panacur only kills from day 3 onwards. I wonder if maybe it did something to the gut to help them dispell out, but I would be more inclined to think it was a weird coincidence.

Oh right. I will keep a closer eye on my buns poos!

Hopefully the panacur will get rid of the worms! x

brilliant, thanks so much! :thumb: they really only have hay, dried herbs and crunchies at the moment but they do both love carrot and apple (only given it a couple of times...I could try mashed banana too.

Thanks again :)

brilliant, thanks so much! :thumb: they really only have hay, dried herbs and crunchies at the moment but they do both love carrot and apple (only given it a couple of times...I could try mashed banana too.

Thanks again :)

What you can do is cut two thin slices of whatever you're using. Get one slice and put the panacur on, and then put the other slice on top, like a sandwich effect, and often they will eat that more readily than if you put a blob of panacur on one slice all by itself.

(can you tell I've done this a lot :lol:)

Oh right. I will keep a closer eye on my buns poos!

Hopefully the panacur will get rid of the worms! x

Bunny poos are the key to their physical health in a lot of situations, so it is always important to keep a close eye on output (size, shape, colour, places, etc) so you can identify anything different about it.

That's exactly what Boris had when he was little :shock: But they disappeared after a few days and have never come back since? Is that possible if it's worms? :shock:

Oh god im even more poo obsessed now!! They liked the mashed banana so have just had the second dose :) I'm heading outside shortly to hot water the litter trays abd bedroom!

Bunny poos are the key to their physical health in a lot of situations, so it is always important to keep a close eye on output (size, shape, colour, places, etc) so you can identify anything different about it.

Oh yes definitely! I'm pleased to say that my buns poops are looking good at the mo :thumb: Having three buns though will be slightly harder when trying to identify who's pooped what :shock:

Back