• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my bunny going blind....?

Today, when i let my rabbit out of her play pen it seemed like she couldn't see anything. She was running really fast and she ran into a chair leg. Then, she ran into a few more things, and i don't think it was on purpose. Her eyes aren't cloudy or anything, but in the summer she had an eye infection. The eye drops didn't completely stop the discharge, but there was less. It's been going on for a while- my vet suggested a massage to help clear the tear ducts and that sort of helped too but it never actually stopped. Are there any home remedies to help with my situation? Could this make her blind, the eye infection? I read that, to test if your rabbit is blind, put your finger in front of its eye and if it blinks it means the rabbit is not blind. I've tried that and apparently she isnt blind...

Also, i have another question. I've been to a few supposedly very rabbit savvy vets but none of them know why my rabbit makes the loud noises that she does. It sounds like a cross between snoring and whining- it's pretty loud and she makes that noise all the time- it started with the numerous vet visits in the summer and my vet guessed it was because of stress. ??
she does it when shes sleeping, and she does it when im petting her (she still asks to be petted, so i dont think it's because shes scared or stressed...)

Im taking her to the vet tmrw, but If you could help that'd be great, i really appreaciate it. Thanks

There are several possible causes of sudden blindness, so a full examination by a Vet is the only way to get the answer to your question.

With the noises, do you mean she has noisy breathing or is it a sort of 'humming' sound she makes ?

If the former it may be due to a respiratory tract infection, which would tie in with the ocular discharge she has had.

If the latter it may be a hormonal/behavioural thing. Is she spayed ?

Back