• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye Infection or worse?? - Myxi!

Caz

Mama Doe
Hi

Its been a while - wasn't even sure my logon would work anymore but it did.

I just have Adele the rabbit left now (aged 6), after losing two of her partners to head tilt and despite treating her and her testing negative for E.cuniculi I decided to stop pairing her up and she has lived quite happily I think on her own now for roughly three years. She now lives in our new house in Lincolnshire, indoors in her modified dog crate as before in the cellar (it has windows) with the cat for company (window has cat flap). We now have two children (18months and 3), two dogs, a cat, pony, chickens, ducks and pigs as well as doing B&B.

I am after a bit of advice - we have been away overnight and I have to admit that yesterday morning in the stress of packing I just quickly fed her and didn't really look at her properly when we got back this evening and I went to feed her I noticed one of her eyes was tearing and the other eye looked a bit red. Upon closer examination she has what appears to be a small abcess (about 3mm x 3mm) on the non-tearing eye in the upper eyelid which has slightly burst and is leaking a bit of pus, this eye is quite clear and open, the tearing eye has red in the whites of the eye but again is open no coloured discharge, she is relatively active and has been eating and drinking as normal - didn't really jump on the carrot bribe just now (after I manhandled her to get a closer look ) but she did eat her pellets up fine.

She also appears to have a slight swelling at the base of one of her ears - i.e. it looks a little red and inflammed under the fur compared to the other side and this is where I start panicking. No swelling of genitals or anywhere else on body, eyes open wide and no nasal discharge or odd lumps apart from the possible abscess on her eyelid. Her VHD was done three weeks ago but her myxi was 18months ago - we moved last year and I didn't get the reminder notice from old vets but new vets didn't have her boosters on the system yet so I managed to miss her myxi vaccination date this year (normally June) by the time I realised I thought it would be better to wait until next Spring to get maximum immunity over Summer especially being winter now and I thought low risk. Myxi is common in the area but she is fully indoors atm so I decided to stay with yearly vaccs but just get it done at the optimal time to cover the whole year, although obviously cat could have brought in something with fleas on (cat is regularily treated for fleas etc but does bring in her kills sometimes) and it has been a mild winter hence the panic it is something worse. Up until this year she was vaccinated at least yearly and some years 6 monthly for myxi.

Rang emergency vets and this sounds awful but they said £100 call out just to look at her and frankly that is just too high. I am going to have to wait until they reopen on Tuesday - why do these things always happen over the holidays? She intimated if it was myxi it was straight PTS but from what I've looked up it would be far more likely to be chronic myxi which is recoverable even with the lapsed vaccination as she should have some immunity (anyone here had a case of chronic myxi?).

As she doesn't appear to be affected or suffering I am hoping to keep an eye on her (no pun intended) and wait for now as after watching a few videos and pictures online I think I may be overreacting and its just a bit of conjuntivitus and an abcess but obviously with both eyes infected at once it worries me. I did notice when she was trying to clean her eye fur where it was tearing one of her back claws is overlong I must have missed it somehow when I was clipping so am thinking/hoping she scratched her eyelid and caused an abscess and that she's transferred the bacteria to the other eye giving her the conjuntavitis - the tearing is clear, not white or pus like in that eye even though the whites look a bit red.

I have some fucithalmic eye drops which I have started putting in but am all out of Baytril (typically MILs where I just was, works at vets and could have got me some if I'd known as she gets a discount on emergency call outs etc but now we are too far away - 2.5hrs drive).

I can post some pictures later when I can remember how to upload them to my webspace.

Any thoughts - it would literally just be 36 hours until I can get to the vets? Anyone local to Spalding/Wisbech have any Baytril spare as the abcess will need antibiotics and the vet said to start her on antibiotics if I had any as even if myxi its the secondary bacterial infections that kill. I know I sound bad but £100 call out for £10's worth of Baytril just seems extreme.

Thanks for reading

Caz

Last edited:
Your Rabbit needs to be seen by a Vet before any prescription medication (Baytril/Metacametc) can be given and it is illegal to give prescription medication to an animal for whom it was not prescribed. Worse still doing so without consulting a Vet at all.

It is possible for a Rabbit to recover from nodular (chronic) Myxomatosis, but prompt Veterinary attention is always needed. Even more essential in an unvaccinated/lapsed vaccination Rabbit

Personally I would have to obtain Veterinary treatment for her tonight. Tomorrow morning at the very latest.

Your Rabbit needs to be seen by a Vet before any prescription medication (Baytril/Metacametc) can be given and it is illegal to give prescription medication to an animal for whom it was not prescribed. Worse still doing so without consulting a Vet at all.

Maybe for newbies that piece of advice is relevant and I understand why you had to post it but I have been keeping rabbits and indeed many animals for several years now (and have been trusted by several vets to administer medication and injections without supervision after just phone advice to rabbits as well as pigs and poultry among others) some of my old posts about Zeus may trigger your recollection of me. As I stated the vet recommended starting Baytril if I had any available - I had recently finished some prescribed for a wild duck I was taking care of which would have been suitable for giving to Adele if I had any left. I normally keep a stock of medication such as metacam, panacur and baytril available for such instances hence I had the Fucithalmic eye cream but currently am out of baytril. The only thing I have is for pigs and being penicillin based not at all suitable for rabbits even if it wasn't far too concentrate.

Hopefully pictures below:

Adele currently:
Adele1.jpg

Tearing:
Adele2.jpg

Abcess:
Adele3.jpg

Caz

Im afraid I have no advice, you seem much for knowledgeable than me, but just wanted to send lots of 'get well soon' vibes soon, I hope it's nothing too serious.x.

I am pretty certain that she has Myxomatosis :cry:

Her nose is swollen too. Have you checked her genitals ?

As I said in previous post, if she were my Rabbit she would be seeing a Vet tonight. I am afraid I can give no other advice.

Genitals appear as normal, I don't think her nose is swollen at least it doesn't appear so compared to a couple of days ago, do you mean around the nose or the nose itself? She does have her winter coat right now which always makes her appear fat in the face but I can't feel any swelling around her nose under it.

She has eaten everything (carrot and celery too now) but I know appetite does return/increase in myxi after symptoms appear.

The problem is the pictures online either show a rabbit with extremely swollen eyelids completely red and inflammed with white pus or large obvious nodules on the nose/ears etc and she doesn't have either which is really throwing me. I don't want the lapsed vaccination to skew the opinions but obviously it was the first thing that jumped to mind when I saw she had an issue with both eyes and possibly the base of one ear.

Caroline

Hi Caroline

I'm sorry Adele is so poorly. My advice would be to take her to the vets immediately. It's her best chance of fighting this (if it is indeed Myxi - and I'm afraid the signs are not good)

I too have had to pay a visit to the vets today with one of my guineas so know how tight things can be, especially just after Christmas but I'm afraid where animal welfare is concerned, it's not negotiable.

Sending positive vibes for Adele

Bunny needs to see a vet. Straight away.

Yes, it's a lot of money. But. It's illegal to withhold vet treatment for an animal that needs it.

It's just one of those things - I had no money whatsoever when my cat needed rushed to the vets one Saturday evening. But he needed it, so he went and I told them to do whatever they needed to make him better, no matter what it cost and I'd deal with the money side of it later.

When you have a pet, it is your responsibility to look after them. And if that means that you need to pay £100 to see the vet, then that's what you have to do.

Bunny needs to see a vet. Straight away.

Yes, it's a lot of money. But. It's illegal to withhold vet treatment for an animal that needs it.

Its illegal to withold vet treatment that would prevent an animal from suffering. I am best placed to tell whether she is suffering and she clearly is not - she is running around her cage as normal and eating and drinking, she isn't sitting hunched up refusing to move or grinding her teeth or any of the small signs an unwell rabbit shows hence I am willing to wait. When Zeus got stasis on a Saturday night he went straight to the vet but in this instance as far as the on call vet was concerned if it was myxi they would recommend pts which as Adele has been vaccinated and it is far more likely to be chronic myxi which is survivable in which case it would be advisable to see how she fairs first before pts if it progresses I would much rather wait until the vet I normally use who has a little more rabbit knowledge is back on Tuesday.

There is a definite small red lump at the base of one ear it is a bit scabby but she still has all the fur on it (roughly 1cm diameter maybe smaller). Her eyelids are not swollen or red except for the small abcess on one, the tearing has reduced in the other eye since yesterday after using the eye drops.

If anyone has and helpful advice such as what to look for in a chronic myxi infection, how it presents, any characteristics of the lumps that would indicate abcess vs myxi nodule I would appreciate it. If it is as I suspect just an abcess I would rather use the money towards the inevitable operation to remove it rather than waste it on the diagnosis. Or if anyone knows/can recommend a local rabbit vet who isn't part of a huge conglomerate that actually uses vets from the practice you use on call or charge less for out of hours or even a vet nurse who lives locally who may be willing to take a look that would be far more useful to me right now.

Thank you

Caz

Thanks for the vet link but MILs would be just as close if we were going to do the drive.

The other thread about nodular myxi was very informative she doesn't have any large scabs or swellings and no trouble breathing.

Chest is clear AFAIK don't have a stethoscope but can hear very well through her side by holding my ear against her. Lungs and heart sound normal trouble is I have no normal rabbits here to compare too and it has been a while since I listened to a rabbit's chest. Definitely no wheeze though. Genitals still normal - again how do you define normal - they don't appear swollen but I don't have another female rabbit to compare to and I don't check them daily - already had a nip from her today to "thank" me for the examination (she is no where near as aggressive as Athena was - I still have scars from her proper bites - it was just a warning reminder I was being too personal with Adele's "bits").

Oddly the lump behind her ear seems to have gone down leaving just a small scab and I'm wondering if it was a reaction to a tick bite as I quickly dosed her last night with a spot on wormer/flea/tick treatment I use (Xeno 450) just in case the cat had brought in something with myxi infected insects on; to esnure she didn't keep getting bitten, so she may have been bitten behind her ear and had a localised reaction, which has now gone down. Obviously it could be a myxi infected bite as I imagine you'd get a localised antibody response in the site of infection similar to the reaction you get after vaccination due to triggering the dormant antibody response.

Tearing eye appears to have dried up for the moment and just a small abcess over the other eye which she could have caused herself with her claw. Obviously I am checking in on her regularily just in case anything changes and she will be seeing the vet first thing tomorrow.

Caz

P.S. When I said myxi is common here I was thinking of the area in general Wisbech where we used to live suffers terribly but OH pointed out since moving up here last year we haven't seen any myxi infected rabbits and he doesn't recall seeing any rabbits full stop recently around our grounds or in the neighbouring fields (doesn't help the farmers shoot them because of the crops so they keep a low profile). The local population here seems pretty healthy but we mainly have hares not rabbits and hares are resistant.

Vet is a bit stumped thinks chronic/nodular myxi likely but thinks it odd the lesions are only on one side. He found two more tiny ones under closer examination, one just under her left nostril and one under her left lip. The one behind her left ear had swollen up again but the one above her left eye was the same. Genitals/chest/heart etc all normal as I thought.

Gave her a shot of Baytril, some metacam to bring down the swelling more than for pain relief and sent me home with some more metacam, baytril and fucithalmic eye cream. Right eye has stopped tearing completely.

He couldn't think of any other viral infections that could cause the lesions and did consider trying some aniviral cream on them but didn't have any in stock.

She's still acting as normal so its just a case of waiting and seeing how it progresses I guess.

Caz

Vet is a bit stumped thinks chronic/nodular myxi likely but thinks it odd the lesions are only on one side. He found two more tiny ones under closer examination, one just under her left nostril and one under her left lip. The one behind her left ear had swollen up again but the one above her left eye was the same. Genitals/chest/heart etc all normal as I thought.

Gave her a shot of Baytril, some metacam to bring down the swelling more than for pain relief and sent me home with some more metacam, baytril and fucithalmic eye cream. Right eye has stopped tearing completely.

He couldn't think of any other viral infections that could cause the lesions and did consider trying some aniviral cream on them but didn't have any in stock.

She's still acting as normal so its just a case of waiting and seeing how it progresses I guess.

Caz

You can buy Acyclovir Cream OTC from a Pharmacy

Last edited:
Well she isn't any worse but she isn't any better - I haven't tried any antiviral cream though. She's still acting as normal.

Caz

She has a few extra lumps now, one between her nose and eye and a second at the base of the ear (same ear), the one on her eye has gone completely. The rest are more like scabs than lumps, black in the middle red round the edges. She's going back to the vets on Saturday and hopefully I can get a second opinion from my old vet (but he'll only talk to new vet directly). It looks like chronic myxi now as she has more lumps but the rest of her is still normal.

Caz

Just a final update for those of you who may be searching for information on chronic / nodular myxomatosis.

Adele was treated for a week with a different antibiotic a tetracycline orally just in case it was miss diagnosed rabbit syphillis. She developed a bit of a runny eye again but apart from that the treatment made no difference she continued to act as normal. She has been off medication for two weeks now (approx.) and most of the nodules have dried up into black scabs and dropped off, she just has the most recent one (between nose and eye) left and even it is starting to peel off.

So just to give those of you whose vaccinated rabbits contract mxyi as long as it is a mild case and you make sure they don't get any secondary infections there is hope that they'll make a full recovery.

Summary:

01.01.12 Adele noticed to have runny eye and lump on eyelid, swollen around base of ear but still eating/drinking/acting normally

First week treated with Baytril, metacam and fucithalmic eye cream and her cage moved to less drafty, warmer part of house, developed more lumps on nose, lip and around base of ears

Second week more Baytril and metacam, a couple more lumps appear, earlier ones got bigger

Third week Tetracyline (tablets, ground up in water and given orally) and fucithalmic eye cream as eye started weeping again (plus probiotics in water), original lump on eyelid has disappeared.

Four and fifth weeks no medication - lumps turn into black scabs dry up and drop off

Sixth week I estimate to be all clear and fully recovered by the end of.

Diet throughout: plenty of fresh farm hay, handful of Excel pellets daily, veg bits (e.g. broccoli stalks, carrot stalks) when available, dried weed/herb treat mix daily. Fresh water with probiotics added (Avipro).

Her last vaccination was 18months old when she contracted myxi (she had been done at least yearly and sometimes twice yearly until I moved house and missed my vaccination reminder).

She will be re vaccinated in March/April when I am sure she is completely recovered ready for this year's myxi season although I will be checking with the vet first as I have read a rabbit that has recovered may be immune to mxyi.

Hope that helps anyone in the future who goes through the same thing.

Caz

Back