• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

unsure about sheds insulation-or without?

deedee1997

Young Bun
I was wondering if I were to get a shed, and put insulation in it, would I need to get like a vent thingy in there or would that just defeat the object of putting in insulation? I am not sure what to do so please could I have some advice?:?

Hi,i think you would deffo need an air vent as we had two playhouses that we insulated and also blocked the air vents thinking that was better but the condensation got so bad the roof was soaking and literally dripping onto the rabbits :shock:,we opened the air vents back up and within days it had dried out :)

I would insulate and add a vent. Insulating will help to keep it warm in winter and cool in summer and the vent will let the air circulate.

Yes vents are needed and you should ideally have four, one on each side. :wave:
How many depends on how big the shed is.

Last edited:
Both my shed and my kennel are insulated with polystyrene sheeting. However, I don't have any purpose built vents - just the bunny flap (approx 8 inches square) which is open 24/7. That is sufficient to allow the air to circulate and I have no problems with damp etc.

The insulation definitely keeps the shed more cozy in winter and much cooler in summer. However, I really don't believe it's essential for most outdoor buns who cope absolutely fine with their thick winter coats. They usually still sit outside all night, even in the coldest weather. For my own peace of mind (especially for the older buns), I like to have it and have even installed heating so that water bowls don't freeze in exceptionally cold weather.

But if you want to go ahead and fit some then you'll certainly feel happier about them in extremes of weather. A vent of some description is essential though if you want to avoid damp. Dry and cozy with a good breeze blowing through makes for a lovely winter home!

i don't have insulation in my shed. i have boarded out the inside to stop chewing damage which probably makes it a bit better but thats it.

i have plenty of fleeces and boxes of hay for them to keep warm in and when the weather gets really bad i use snugglesafes.
all 3 of mine have mega winter coats and often when i worry if it is cold an i think i will put them in early for the night (i lock them in the shed overnight just for my own sanity!) they are all sat in the run! pick any of them up and they always seem to be toasty warm! :)

This is a really interesting question to me, as I'd never considered adding a vent to my shed. My shed is approx 7 x 6 and I've insulated the walls with 'fluffy' insulation (can't think what's its called!) and then put boards up to seal it all in.

It definitely keeps the shed warmer, not hugely so, but takes the edge off the cold. When you then have fleeces, snugglesafes (hard hot disc) and beds with lots of hay, the bunnies seem happy enough :D

We don't have a vent, but they do have their entrance to the run open all day, which is quite a large opening, so I imagine that is keeping the airflow frequent. I doubt we will add one, unless we run in to damp or similar problems that others have mentioned.

Back