• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

which house/kennel/bed to get?

hawkylops

Warren Scout
im wanting to get the bunnies a kennel/house/bed thing for the shed as there hutch is too big and takes up so much room. but was wondering which 1 to get

a soft bodied/padded one
paddeddogkennel.jpg

or a plastic style dog kennel
phkennel.jpg

It depends on your rabbit and how much you want to pay etc. my bun prefers soft things but if you are wanted to put hay in it then obviously I'd recommend the plastic kennel. That would probably be easier to clean and you could also put vet bed or a small dog bed in it. Personally if I were buying one I'd go for the plastic kennel.

they like soft bedding but seem to use anything with hay is as a litter tray. but im not sure what theyd be like with a soft one been enclosed lol. has anyone got experience with either styles?

The plastic one is £25 in P@H atm :D Real bargain I'd say!

Does depend on whether your buns are chewers or not though. Mine aren't, so are fine with plastic but if yours like to chew, the plastic one may be a bit dangerous for them :D

ETA: Mine use all hay as a litter tray too... So, fleece is a great idea for inside the kennel if you don't want them to poop and pee in there! My lot have fleece in their hutch for warmth and they seem to love it! They're also easy to clean as you can just pop them in the washing machine :D

Also, I have used a soft style one before and it was a nightmare. Ended up having to through it out as it was just too much of a pain to clean.

I am getting that plastic one next week though after my student loan comes in! I'm a tad excited tbh!

I think soft beds are quite hard to keep clean and can also feel a little damp in cold weather.

I've got one of these:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rabbit_hutches/natura/33223

The top is only slightly sloped so I've put a fleece blanket on top and piled some hay up in the back corner as the bunnies spend a large part of the day/night perched on top of it. :D They also have the option of going inside if they wish. If you have a look in the for sale section, Aliduncan sells handmade wooden boxes that could be used in a very similar way too.

looks like im ordering plastic one on firday when i get paid, along with my interlocking foam matts and shed light

well in the end i didnt get any of them lol i had an old dog cage i had given to transport a frenchie to vets, too small for anything else so took the door off fastened a old bit of ply wood to the top and a large fleece blanket over some foam mats inside with blankets inside and waalaa i have my own dog kennel and whn i dont need it it folds down lol :)

Back