• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Crumpet and Kenco!!! -again! - third time lucky? Cracked it!!!

Rodentranch

Alpha Buck
Decided to try this again today after the failed trio bonding. Figured Crumpet had been alone long enough since Woody passed on so thought I would give it a go.

5 hours in - there were some scuffles to start and Kenco pulled some of Crumpets fur out. Kenco then spent a few hours trying to get his head under hers whilst she ran off and stamped at him. They have both flopped individually (Kenco with his customary front paws up in the air style) although not snuggled. They're spending lots of time at opposite ends of the pen. I just bent over to stroke Crumpet and she hopped over to Kenco and GROOMED him (although whether this means she likes him, or just hates him less than she hates me I don't know:lol:)!

There hasn't been any humping at all though - is this odd?

Last edited:
Good luck!

No humping is fine. There are so many wide varieties of behaviour you can see in any bonding that it's not unusual to not see different types. Just accept what you're seeing and deal with that; don't expect to see anything specific (they will usually prove you wrong :lol:).

Good luck!

No humping is fine. There are so many wide varieties of behaviour you can see in any bonding that it's not unusual to not see different types. Just accept what you're seeing and deal with that; don't expect to see anything specific (they will usually prove you wrong :lol:).

Thank you! Was just worried about them establishing dominance, but I guess Kenco is doing that by pushing his head under hers?

THey both left a few ceacals when they first went in which have been squished to the lino and are stinky. I'm going to need and try and clean them up as Kenco insists on rolling on them :roll:

Thank you! Was just worried about them establishing dominance, but I guess Kenco is doing that by pushing his head under hers?

THey both left a few ceacals when they first went in which have been squished to the lino and are stinky. I'm going to need and try and clean them up as Kenco insists on rolling on them :roll:

Yup, there are plenty of ways for rabbits to establish dominance without humping (in fact, if there is no humping, it can often make the bonding easier).

Ooooh good luck! Does this mean that Kenco is officially staying at the Rodentranch?

When I attempted to bond Dudley with my pair after Santa died, I remember saying to Louise "how odd, there's been no humping at all". It was about 2 days later that Dudley suddenly found his mojo and all hell broke loose! So while they might never feel the need to hump, it might just be that it hasn't occurred to them yet :lol::lol:

Good luck! xx

Thanks for the good luck everyone. Really hoping this will work

Ooooh good luck! Does this mean that Kenco is officially staying at the Rodentranch?

When I attempted to bond Dudley with my pair after Santa died, I remember saying to Louise "how odd, there's been no humping at all". It was about 2 days later that Dudley suddenly found his mojo and all hell broke loose! So while they might never feel the need to hump, it might just be that it hasn't occurred to them yet :lol::lol:

Good luck! xx

:angel:

You know, I was thinking yesterday that this time last year I had taken my lone bunny Thomas in to be neutered after he got depressed when I returned to work. It was only when I brought him home that the boyfriend asked me why I'd done it and was quite stressed that I was getting another one. If he'd known that by the end of the year there would be 6 buns here (7 until we lost Woody) I think he would have walked out :lol: Although when I told him I was planning to keep the sanctuary buns, he agreed it was for the best (Woody could make anyone fall in love with him!) :love:.

I'm sure the only reason he is insisting we move in together this year is so that I don't end up fostering for anyone else :? :lol:

Kenco is currently laying completely flopped with his head on Crumpet as a pillow. I can't tell if she happy or too frightened to move :/

never did get time to start bonding matthew, tabitha, charles and cecile. but will probably try dating soon. them, i mean, not me.

good luck rodentranch. i like the idea that they might hate each other less than they hate you. i think our bunnies love us really, they just think we behave outrageously. :lol:

Oh sorry I never saw those comments - We failed again :( however, they have been meeting on and off since then. I wouldn't say love was in the air, but Crumpet does tolerate him.

With it being half term I've gone back to an intensive bond attempt. It's been 24 hours and nobody has tried to kill anyone. I even got a decent nights sleep! We even had a cozy bus ride with them in the same carrier whilst I took Kenco for his myxi jab.

So far so good then! I'm going to pop out in a bit (OH is here) to get some banana to rub on heads and try to encourage some grooming as so far we've had no signs of affection at all :(

Cracked it!!!

Been going well since monday so increased space today :)

409073_3068813192606_1031875731_33154735_1908225976_n.jpg

424537_3068813232607_1031875731_33154736_1121393859_n.jpg

When I started bonding this time, I took them on a bus ride to the vets (Kenco needed his myxi) then when they started kicking off at 3am I bundled them back in the carrier. No scuffles since that first night :D

Good luck! Still early days I know...my four have been together for 4 or 5 months now, and I still have the occasional spat when I let them outside for grass time. Just remember to take it very slowly when increasing their space...fingers crossed the bond works this time.

P.S. I had no humping whatsoever with any of my 4!

Back