• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best pairing for my French Lop

Aliswan

Warren Scout
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have learned so much today!

I currently own a female french lop, Bambi, she is 8 months old and an absolute gem! She loves attention, cuddles, being stoked and she gives kisses when asked.

Basically I want to get her a husbun and not sure what type/size bunny would be best!

My set up is a 6x4 foot shed with a hutch in the corner, litter tray, food station, soft bed and loads of toys. The hutch has been modified so that it is just 1 compartment with only 1 door on it so it's never closed and I've stuffed it with hay and straw for those cold nights. There is a cat flap at the back leading to a wire tunnel approximately 15-20feet long and 1.5 feet high, which is connected to a 7x4foot run which she has access to 24/7.

What type of bunny would people recommend as my local rescue centre has left me very confused. I thought a male neutered bun would be best but they recommended a unneutered female (and for me to get her neutered at a later date).

What sex, age, size, temperament bunny would you recommend?

Thanks for your time!

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum :)

Is your lovely girlie spayed?

If not, that would be the first thing to do.

Once she has recovered and her hormones died down then the best, and most effective way to find her a friend, would be to get in touch with a local reputable rescue (who spays, neuters and vaccinates their bunnies) and let your girlie choose her own friend :) Age, size, breed, etc, doesn't make any difference, just personality and by letting her choose her own friend you're likely to find a friend with the personality that works with hers :)

Here is some info on bonding that may be useful for you. http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingbunnies.htm

Also, by law (;)) we need to see photos of your lovely girlie. :D

Welcome to the forum.

A neutered male of similar age/size and weight would be the best option providing your rabbit is neutered.

If your rabbit is unneutered- neutering her would be recommended before introducing another rabbit of either sex.

Generally a male/female pairing will always be the most straightforward.

Last edited:
Are there any other rescues in your area? I would expect a good rescue to be neutering/spaying before rehoming.

Personally if I were getting a friend for her I'd be looking for a male aged between 1-4 and around the same size.
Size isn't a deal breaker but you'll probably find bigger bunnies are more chilled out and so make good companions for each other. I have a frenchie paired with two smaller bunnies and while they work very well, he does have a noticeably different temperament to them.

Are there any other rescues in your area? I would expect a good rescue to be neutering/spaying before rehoming.

Personally if I were getting a friend for her I'd be looking for a male aged between 1-4 and around the same size.
Size isn't a deal breaker but you'll probably find bigger bunnies are more chilled out and so make good companions for each other. I have a frenchie paired with two smaller bunnies and while they work very well, he does have a noticeably different temperament to them.

I missed that when I first replied. I totally agree with Battlekat. It's irresponsible for a rescue to be giving that advice. Ours would be recommending a neutered male although would consider a spayed female to bond with a spayed female; we would not recommend bonding an unspayed female (unless there was a specific reason not to spay her and then we would have to have a lengthy conversation with the adopter).

Thank you so much for the amazingly quick replies!

Yep Bambi is spayed I got her when she was 6 months old and bless her I was a bully and had her neutered and vaccinated within 6 weeks. Luckily she still loves me! She insists on grooming my forehead when I lie on the floor with her!

Well I live in North East England and I'm really struggling to find any rescues in my area. There are 2 that I can find, both seem to foster out animals to people and rehome them from there. One does neuter all it's rabbits before they leave but the other one doesn't saying that they can't afford to neuter them all (she made me feel awful for refusing an unneutered female) and neither vaccinate their rabbits. The first one has lots of male bunnies but I was worried that they might be too small (don't want Bambi throwing her weight around... literally).

I would love to share photos but I've got no idea how to... any advice?

Thanks!

Here's a tutorial on how to post photos :) http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

This link might help you find a rescue nearby. There are others that do rehome nationally but she wouldn't be able to choose her friend. http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

Big and little pairings can work fine; you just have to be vigilant when bonding. There are lots of big and little pairs on RU. I have a 3kg girlie bonded with a 1.4kg boy and neither have ever been happier, and many other members have a larger difference than that :)

Please don't let anyone guilt trip you into taking a bunny. You have to do what is best for your girlie, whatever that is.

Thank you!

I've used that site and only 1 comes up in my area and it's the one that only had little fellas, I'll contact them to arrange for Bambi to meet some potential partners even if they are smaller than her whopping 5kg!

The other rescue i found through facebook so I'll be avoiding them from now on.

Here's my girl!

IMAG0382.jpg

DSCF5438.jpg

Last edited:
She's luscious! There are also rescues around that rehome nationally so if you can't find the right bunny in the nearby rescue there may be other rescues around who are able to help :)

Thank you! She's such a poser when the camera is there!

I'm going to check out national rescues and the rspca and hopefully it won't take me long to find her the perfect partner!

Thank you all for your help, I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks!

Wow everything has moved so quickly since joining here I have found some amazing potential husbuns for Bambi and tomorrow we are going to visit a beautiful blue rex called Caspian, he hasn't had the best start in life but I'm hoping that if he is a good match Bambi will bring him out of his shell.

Wish us luck :D

Bambi has a husbun!

Caspian has come home with me! They showed total indifference to each other when they met! I just hope bonding goes well for them now!

I have been given a temporary hutch for Caspian to stay in for the bonding which I've settled him into now, Bambi is out in her shed/run. Now all I need to do is start the bonding. However I don't know how long I should wait before I start, I really don't want to stress Caspian what with moving house and all. He is very laid back, chattering his teeth gently when stroked and showing no signs of stress but I want to be on the safe side.

What would you recommend?

Thanks

Congratulations :D It depends on the bunny because you don't want to damage his immune system. Without knowing him personally I would say maybe a week?

Fab advice already but I just wanted to add that Bambi is gorgeous :love: I love her white boots and bet she has a white tummy to match :love:

The best of luck :wave:

I've just seen though that Caspian is now in the hutch for the bonding. Where do you plan on bonding them?

Fab advice already but I just wanted to add that Bambi is gorgeous :love: I love her white boots and bet she has a white tummy to match :love:

The best of luck :wave:

Yup gorgeous white tummy! and she has the cleanest feet I have ever known, she's very proud of her white bits lol :D

I'm planning on bonding them in the bathroom (after cooling it right down), it's the best space I have that Bambi hasn't claimed as her own, I'm hoping that once they're bonded she'll be happy to stay outside and not follow me in the house when she's supposed to be free roaming the garden!

Back