• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finding the right partner...

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
How hard is it? I now have all bar the connecting tunnel to the run finished for my setup (tunnel to be completed tomorrow) so have been browsing bunnies needing new homes. I would love to have a bunfriend for Buzzby by the end of January/feb although he's waited at least 6 years Im sure he could hang on longer for the right bun. The thing is, the more I think the more I worry he wont bond. He is a pushy and confident bunny round people and I dont know if that would kick off with another bunny and cause trouble. Ive never bonded bunnies before so I dont know how easy it is to find a compatible bun. Is it a case of almost all bunnies take to another if theres the right one? Is the inital meeting session enough to establish the likely outcome for most bunnies? Will rescues do test meets with only females? (Im not sure how hard a male male bond would be by comparison, I really dont mind what sex the partner is)

I know my setup isnt too bad for a pair of buns as long as his partner is small to medium size but I dont know if its good enough for everyone which worries me (some are so specific about exactly what they need and mine is a not totally standard setup). I know I have some limits on what bunnies I want, one that loves buzzby and vise versa, must be able to hop up easily onto the step (1ft) at least for now, I can accommodate later in life if they need and I wouldnt be confident with major health issues due to lack of experience (done dentals etc, but I know some buns need very special homes).

So how is best to go about finding a bunfriend? How do I know its the right bun?

Hi, I'm going through this at the moment.

Most rescues will take your bun in and do the bonding for you, so you shouldn't need to worry too much about that. If you contact some local ones they should be able to recommend bun friends to try based on the personality of your bun.

With the min requirements, they usually have a minimum square footage requirement, but this varies between rescues. They will also want to check that it is sheltered, safe, predator proof etc.

They will also ask you about feeding etc to make sure you know why you're doing.

May I ask why you want a male male bonding? Most rescues won't do this as its not got the best success rate

Hope this helps

Your best bet is to get in touch with local rescues, see which will accept your set up and discuss buzzby's personality with them. They will hopefully be able to pair him with a bun who they think is a good match.
If bonding fails I think most rescues would let you try again with another rabbit but, when done properly, the success rate is very high with male/female bondings so try not to fret too much :)

I'm the 'Rabbit Lady' from RSPCA Suffolk East and we do do bunny dates and focus on matching the right bunny with the right bunny/home. I also provide support and help for people bonding and would do, within reason, whatever you needed me to. We suggest taking a bunny on a foster basis and then returning them if they dont bond and trying another (we've only ever had one bunny returned though and that was due to the adopter not listening to our advice and he was not allowed to adopt again because he was reckless with our rabbit and he couldnt be trusted- generally though, we match them so well that the bondings are successful).

You're welcome to PM me or e-mail me if you want to chat more indepth about how we do it at our rescue.

Hi, I'm going through this at the moment.

Most rescues will take your bun in and do the bonding for you, so you shouldn't need to worry too much about that. If you contact some local ones they should be able to recommend bun friends to try based on the personality of your bun.

With the min requirements, they usually have a minimum square footage requirement, but this varies between rescues. They will also want to check that it is sheltered, safe, predator proof etc.

They will also ask you about feeding etc to make sure you know why you're doing.

May I ask why you want a male male bonding? Most rescues won't do this as its not got the best success rate

Hope this helps

Thanks, I know that local to here its a date and then bonding at home so I am trying to make sure Im clued up before starting. Sheltered/safe etc Im not worried about, its whether my setup is adequate size with all the levels etc. The other questions Im hoping are just things that will help me or I will already be ok with. My setup is only 5x4 playhouse, 2 18"x4ft shelves in it and a 2ft wide step up and an attached 6x4 run with freeranging supervised in the garden for an hour or so each day minimum this time of year, longer in summer. Its not a tiny cruel hutch, but its not massive. I dont particularly want male male bonding, I just dont want to dismiss a male if that would be his bestest friend, but most places seem to only want to bond a female with him, which is a very limited option around here it seems.

Local to here I think its pretty much just RSPCA from what I can find and home bonding first time Ive ever tried bonding with what Im concerned will be a difficult bunny is a daunting prospect.

I'm the 'Rabbit Lady' from RSPCA Suffolk East and we do do bunny dates and focus on matching the right bunny with the right bunny/home. I also provide support and help for people bonding and would do, within reason, whatever you needed me to. We suggest taking a bunny on a foster basis and then returning them if they dont bond and trying another (we've only ever had one bunny returned though and that was due to the adopter not listening to our advice and he was not allowed to adopt again because he was reckless with our rabbit and he couldnt be trusted- generally though, we match them so well that the bondings are successful).

You're welcome to PM me or e-mail me if you want to chat more indepth about how we do it at our rescue.

Oooh hi :wave: I will try to compile a PM of questions and its reassuring to know theres support. Thanks.

Oooh hi :wave: I will try to compile a PM of questions and its reassuring to know theres support. Thanks.

I personally provide what I would call an 'outreach' service to anyone who adopts from us and will be there for those bunnies who come from us (and their friends and adopters) for the rest of their lives :)

Also, there is Thumpers in Ipswich but she doesn't always spay/neuter and her 'bonding' is not how I would be comfortable bonding.

I took Thomas with me when I was looking for a partner for him so that they could choose each other. Made an incredibly easy bonding experience when I brought them both home :)

Well your setup is bigger than mine! And while a few rescues have specified square footage of 50 or more most of the local rescues have been happy with my setup (5x3 wendyhouse with 2x3 hay loft and 1x3 snoozing shelf with a step up, a 6x3 run and free ranging time daily)

While its not as big as I'd like it to be its all I can offer them at the minute as the setup is in my parents garden and they already complain its too big.

You should be fine with home checks :)

Back