• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded Bucks, chasing & humping...

Bumblebee Megatron

Warren Scout
Help! My two bucks have been bonded and have been living together for a couple of weeks now - no problems at all. Getting on really well.

Today - the youngest is just chasing the other one and then humping him when he can. The oldest is running away but doing the occasional binky so looks happy. Is this normal once bonded? The eldest does go up to him now and then so don't think he's annoyed - just that the chasing has been going on for ages. The eldest even had a proper lay down and the little one sat next to him - then the chasing started again.

Are they just playing?

How much space do they have?
You might of increased their space too quickly after the bond so they are re-asserting the pecking order, I would be tempted to reduce their space until they have settled again and then increase again slowly :wave:

Are they neutered? If so, how long ago?

You'll have to watch carefully to see how the chasee is reacting and if they are coping and if it looks like it will lead to fighting or not.

Well they've both been in the small garden together for a while now. They have both popped back in to their hutch for some food, both eating nicely next to each other than WHAM - youngest is gently humping the oldest and the oldest isn't reacting at all, he's just eating!!!

I'm not sure how bonded buns behave you see - but they've not done this before since living together.

Thanks for your help x

Yeah - both neutered years ago.

The chasee seems fine - not bothered. He runs away but binkys like he's having fun. Then he'll go up to the young one. It's not worrying to watch as there seems like no tension - it's just a bit odd!

I would think it's the time of year. If both are happy then I wouldn't worry. I have a trio (with two males in) who have been bonded since April 2008 and chasing is a daily ritual for all three and we've never EVER had any fights.

Thanks Sky-O!

He's being so persistant today though - really odd. More so than when we were bonding them. The older one seems fine though, just keeps running off. Been doing it all afternoon and not the slightest sign of aggression. Just worried that they'll get real tired.

Was worried that I'd have to separate them and put them in separate hutches tonight :cry:

Do you have days where your bonded buns chase and hump for hours then? Pretty sure that the lady who helped bond mine said that she has bonded buns that still do the humping and chasing thing...

Mine tend to chase at key times which are normally at food times and at dawn when this particular group are more active.

I think the humping is likely to be more of an issue than the chasing because of the risk of the humper making his boy bits sore, so keep an eye on that.

I wonder if it's worse today because it's mild. What happens if you enclose them in a smaller area?

Hmm - worried now :cry:

Well they both went in to the hutch earlier and were just eating, but then the youngest one did it again but oldest not bothered.

Hope I don't have to separate them

Back