• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adjusting to larger rabbits

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Imogen is only like half a kg heavier than Sebastian but I'm finding it difficult to handle her. Shes not wriggley or fiesty or anything, infact shes a dream to hold! I just struggle to pick her up properly and handle her in the same way.

Anyone else found that after adopting a larger bunny for the first time :wave:

I noticed it with Smudge who is about half a kilo bigger than the lops. Ater a while though you adapt. :)

Yes, I found it with Candyfloss but it has improved and eased as I got used to her. I really want to pick up the massive Snowy at our RSPCA but haven't yet due to her being spayed. I have learnt that you can't cajole a large rabbit in the same way you can a small one though :lol:

I cant tuck her under my arm like I do with Sebastian :oops: :lol: (please note this is NOT reccomended! Sebastian is incredibly tame and Im able to hold him securely with one hand.)

Im glad it gets easier :lol: Im not looking forward to having to manhandle the giants at college :shock:

I always thought Poppy was heavy, but then Donny got bigger and heavier and you need a bit of umph to pick him up lol, so when I pick Poppy up I forget how light she is. Lola is lighter than Poppy and I picked Leo up the other night to check his bum because he'd had a nasty poop and he was suprisingly content considering he'd only ever been grabbed by the scruff.. he is heavier than Donny though which I was expecting but my god :lol:

The girls are light but the boys are bigger and heavier breeds :lol:

You'll get used to holding her :) Beano's quite a big bunny so I was used to holding them and when I adopted Gordon he felt so tiny!! :lol: Boris is very tame and doesn't struggle but I find him awkward to handle with his long legs :oops:

I found it really difficult to begin with but it got easier. Having Buddy who was a netherland Dwarf and then getting Bramble as a baby was fine but as he was a French lop he didnt stay small for long and became very big. he was harder to hold but a big softie and never gave me any problems. loved my big Frenchies now and dont think i will ever go back now.

Yep I can't really pick Teddy up at all without an injury, hes such a big powerful boy... he's too heavy anyway! I bribe him with food, luckily hes very greedy!!! :lol:

I found it really difficult to begin with but it got easier. Having Buddy who was a netherland Dwarf and then getting Bramble as a baby was fine but as he was a French lop he didnt stay small for long and became very big. he was harder to hold but a big softie and never gave me any problems. loved my big Frenchies now and dont think i will ever go back now.

wow! Im struggling to go from nethie to lionhead! :shock:

I cant tuck her under my arm like I do with Sebastian :oops: :lol: (please note this is NOT reccomended! Sebastian is incredibly tame and Im able to hold him securely with one hand.)

Im glad it gets easier :lol: Im not looking forward to having to manhandle the giants at college :shock:

I'm not the only 'tucker' :shock: :lol: It's much easier to hold rabbits this way, even the strugglers I find, a hand under the legs/bum and your elbow supporting the front of them? :lol:

I'm used to smaller rabbits but at work experience had to deal with a lot of Frenchies and Continental Giants, I found it easiest to have their front paws on the top half of my arm or shoulder and then have them find of facing diagonally so their bottom is on my opposite hip (with my other hand/arm supporting) they're ridiculously heavy though :shock: :lol:

Every new rabbit no matter if they're the same size as mine feel strange to handle for me but you'll soon get used to it :) I hold all mine differently

Last edited:
I'm not the only 'tucker' :shock: :lol: It's much easier to hold rabbits this way, even the strugglers I find, a hand under the legs/bum and your elbow supporting the front of them? :lol:

I'm used to smaller rabbits but at work experience had to deal with a lot of Frenchies and Continental Giants, I found it easiest to have their front paws on the top half of my arm or shoulder and then have them find of facing diagonally so their bottom is on my opposite hip (with my other hand/arm supporting) they're ridiculously heavy though :shock: :lol:

Every new rabbit no matter if they're the same size as mine feel strange to handle for me but you'll soon get used to it :) I hold all mine differently

Bum next to my elbow and hand holding on for me :lol: its easy peasey with a tiny nethie!

Bum next to my elbow and hand holding on for me :lol: its easy peasey with a tiny nethie!

Yep that sounds similar :lol: I'm sure you could get used to holding your larger rabbit that way, I missed the bit about her only being a bit bigger I assumed she was a conti or something :oops: :lol:

No only a tiny bit bigger :lol: Not sure I can fit her in as well as I can with Sebastian, but she snuggles into my chest really nicely :love:

Yep I can't really pick Teddy up at all without an injury, hes such a big powerful boy... he's too heavy anyway! I bribe him with food, luckily hes very greedy!!! :lol:

I love your Teddy, he is Brambles Double and always makes me smile when i see photos of him

My Other half is 5'10 and he still finds daisy a bit of a handful...or should i say armful...

daisybear011.jpg

Back