• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Proof needed!

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
I'm part of Chazhound dog forum, a US forum. Someone on there was looking into getting a rabbit. I've given her tons of advice, but someone has now come along (who is very anti-neutering) and said its nonsense.

Now, I know there's fewer pros than cons to neutering dogs, I don't mind if people want to keep their dogs entire, but I think there is a higher risk in rabbits. I have explained the 80-85% of does getting cancer if left unspayed, but just wondered if there was any stats/reading material to back this up?

Not that I know of. Lots of websites say so but I don't know where any actual evidence is. Before I knew about the health risks my rabbit Chloe got uterine cancer, I think :( And then right before I had Izzy neutered I found he had a tumor in his testicle, but that was easily removed at least. Though it could have been cancerous, I don't know, so still a bad idea not to neuter males. Both were 6 years old.

So I don't doubt that it is very risky to leave rabbits un-fixed. Maybe tell her stories like that, where people's rabbits have actually gotten cancer? Thats bound to make them think twice about leaving their rabbits un-fixed. Not to mention that rabbits that aren't fixed may spray, get aggressive, probably can't live with another rabbit, may not be as calm and affectionate, etc. I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to fix them :?

I thought female dogs that aren't spayed are very, very likely to get uterine cancer if they're over the age of like, 5-7 years old?

Back