• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shall I have a go at putting the bunnies on my lap for the first time?

Nahatalie

Young Bun
I've had my rescues a couple of weeks now, and while Marzipan is quite happy to approach me, nudge me and sniff me, Truffle still runs back into the cage if I go into the room when they are free ranging. Marzipan tolerates being stroked, I wonder if I should try picking her up and placing her on my lap, to see what she does. Or shall I just let them continue to hop about without touching them too much? (I won't pick up Truffle just yet, she's not ready - she still runs away if I touch her.)

I'm reasonably certain I'm doing things right, and I know its takes time to bond etc, just want to be able to handle them more so I can do proper health checks - I can't clip thier nails or check thier teeth etc at the moment.

I'd give them some more time. Why dont you try putting treats on your lap, so they have to reach up and get it, or actually climb on you to get them, they will probably be more comfortable with this.

I dont think you really need to check their teeth, you would only be able to see their front ones anyway, I just get the vet to do mine and check the back too every couple of months or when Barney is showing symptoms.

Last edited:
Whilst it is important to be able to handle them you need to think about what benefit it will have for Marzipan to sit on your lap?

In my experience the benefit would be minimal. most of mine come for love and strokes but will sit next to me, not on me, and when it comes to health checks, that comes down to my competence with them, not their pleasure at going through the experience.

Personally, I think it's better to focus on winning their trust and letting them come on you if they choose, but that's just my personal opinion.

I'll carry on going at their pace, Marzipan is much improved since I got her, just worried Truffle will be permanently afraid of humans! I don't mind if she is nonchalent towards me, just hoping she loses the fear like Marzipan has!

Will try putting treats on my lap etc, good idea nessar.

My albert took along time to become human friendly, I think I spent about 3 months sat on the floor at the other end of the room to him! and eventually he sat on my lap:) x

Good to know, hpoing Truffle will follow Marzipans lead! Even though they're not massively human friendly at the moment, I love the bunnies so much, still entertaining watching them explore! Marzipan gets into all sorts of mischief when I let her out 1st thing in the morning, then she chills out for the rest of the day. Bunnies are great! I'm just happy to have them :D

Good to know, hpoing Truffle will follow Marzipans lead! Even though they're not massively human friendly at the moment, I love the bunnies so much, still entertaining watching them explore! Marzipan gets into all sorts of mischief when I let her out 1st thing in the morning, then she chills out for the rest of the day. Bunnies are great! I'm just happy to have them :D

yh, they will take time, its all new to them, its the best reward for months of work, when they finally trust you!

just sit in a room with them with loads of yummy noms! im sure they will be mugging you for them within no time!

try and sit on the floor with treats or fruit and veg around you and let them both come to you when they are ready

my rabbit sootie was the same sat on the floor with him for hours

Back