• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice/tips on how to clean....

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
my bunnies eye. She has got an eye infection, which she has had before. The vet mentioned pasterella last time she had it. Her eye is very gunky and her fur has gone hard where the pus had dried. I've been cleaning it twice a day and putting drops in but haven't been able to clean more due to work but Im off the next four days so i want to up the amount of times i clean her but i also don't want to make it too sore. It seems really swollen, the vet tried to look on wed but couldn't see the tear duct properly so she is going back in a week. Im currently using cotton wool and cotton buds soaked in cooled boiled water to clean her eye. Is there anything else i should or can use? Also do you think she needs pain relief? Can't remember her having it last time but it seems more swollen this time around. Many thanks.

If its swolen, then i'd be right back to the vets. A course of abx may be needed, and also some metacam to help reduce any inflammation and relieve any pain bun may be in.

Is it just the one eye? Has she ever had a runny/wet nose?

I'd be possibly thinking dental issues also, elongated tooth roots *possibly* perhaps, where the tooth root pushes up into the nasalacriminal (yes, i always spell it wrong) duct and infects it there and it expels from the eye. This can only be diagnosed by a skull xray, not via physical examination. If this is the case, pain relief will be a must, as its excruciatingly painful :(

You can clean the eye area, with cooled boiled water, but its just going to keep coming back until the cause is found unfortunately.

Good luck and loads of vibes.

When Poppy had weepy eyes I just used to try and 'tease' the fur apart that was wet and stuck together, this provided a bit more protection to the skin & she used to quite enjoy it.

I stayed away from water just because it didnt seem to remove thd gunk, however im not saying this is right.

I believe some people add vaseline undet the eye as a barrier but somebody else may be able2advise on this further.

Perhaps it could be caused by blocked tear ducts, have they been flushed or has she been x-rayed? Poppy's issues seem to be caused by tooth root issues, it's probably important to get to the bottom of the issue, I know Poppy got pretty miserable when she had runny eyes (she still does but i got her a friend who now grooms them for her).

Lots of vibes for your girly, hope u get the issue sorted soon.

Last edited:
Has your vet ever suggested using salt water? Only an extremely mild version mind. My son was born with sticky eye which was so bad they thought he'd need an operation. I used a very mild salt water, used by putting the tiniest bit of salt in boiling water and letting it cool. It is also wise to use each bit of cotton wool or bud for only one wipe and no double dipping. Start from the inner corner and gently wipe outwards.

Thanks for all your replies. I have got some metacam indoors so ill ring the vet and check dosage. She does have dental issues but hasn't had a dental for quite a few months and the last time she had a gunky eye was a couple of years ago when she was spayed ( will have to check their records for exact time). i think the vet mentioned about elongated tooth roots, she has got a bumpy jaw underneath- is this an indication of long tooth roots? The vet looked in her mouth and said that she couldn't see any spurs/ulcers? She seems fine in herself and is eating fine, however she has never really been a hay eater and I've tried everything i can think of to tempt her. Her partner Sooty has been cleaning her eye but he hasn't been well either so he's only just really started cleaning yesterday.

The only way to tell if it is tooth roots is a skull xray. Not sure about the lumpy jaw, but have you spoken to the vet about it? It could indicate more problems.

As for bathing, I wouldnt do it too often as in effect you are rubbing at it and could make it more sore. With my Barney I used cooled tea (obviously without milk and sugar) to bathe his eyes as the vet said it can aid healing.

Just reread replies and have now got a question. What is the course of treatment for elongated tooth roots? Would they remove her teeth? She has had a tooth removed but there wasn't any sign of abcess etc ( i don't think anyway, need to refresh my memory on her medical history). Thanks again xx

Thanks for all your replies. I have got some metacam indoors so ill ring the vet and check dosage. She does have dental issues but hasn't had a dental for quite a few months and the last time she had a gunky eye was a couple of years ago when she was spayed ( will have to check their records for exact time). i think the vet mentioned about elongated tooth roots, she has got a bumpy jaw underneath- is this an indication of long tooth roots? The vet looked in her mouth and said that she couldn't see any spurs/ulcers? She seems fine in herself and is eating fine, however she has never really been a hay eater and I've tried everything i can think of to tempt her. Her partner Sooty has been cleaning her eye but he hasn't been well either so he's only just really started cleaning yesterday.

Yes, this is a sign of a bun having elongated tooth roots I'm afraid. These will be easily picked up on an x-ray. I would check with your vet tomorrow x

Back