• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions (including myxi jab)

shelley

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Ive had a few problems with Buster over the past few months as he was stuggling to recover from an abcess op. The meds he was on caused an inbalace of enzymes/bacteria in his stomach and bladder and he was having bouts of squidgy poo and incontinance. Because of this my vet decided that giving him his myxi jab would possibly cause more problems and she decided to delay it until he was showing signs of improvement and had gained back the weight he had lost after the op (he didnt eat for about 2 weeks after the op and i was syring feeding him)

Whilst the weeing had stopped almost, the squidgy poo's hadnt so a few days ago i decided to start changing his food over from Excel Junior/Dwarf to Excel Adult Lite as i heard the dwarf one caused problems. The squidy poo's have actually stopped in the last few days and he has already gained back the weight he lost over the past few weeks. I decided to book him in for his myxi jab and called the vets yesterday to get an appointment for today as my bosses rabbit has had myxi due to an outbreak in the storrington area and its been making me really paranoid that Buster is now a few weeks out of date of his jab and im around a person that has been in contact with a bun that has myximatosis.

Only thing is, ive got up this morning and Buster has his weeing problem back :? The vet has tested his urine and its not an infection and it only started happening after his op, they have said that it is sistitus but why cant we get rid of it? It comes back every couple of weeks. Also what should i do now about his myxi jab, i want him to have his jab, its too risky if he doesnt but im concerned the vet wont do it. if she thinks theres still underlying problems.

She's going to check his progress later and decide then

Sorry to hear about all Buster's problems. Sorry I don't have any advice about the weeing.

I would follow your vet's advise for the injection. Explain about your contact with a myxi bun.

The problem with getting the jag if there is an underlying health issue, is that the bun could be more likely to react to the jag, or for it not work to the full extent.

I have had upper rti in a couple of my buns, and my vet is still not happy to vaccinate any of them I have 7) until all symptoms have been away for at least a month. This would make the injection almost 2 months late, and will take us to the middle of January.

Its so annoying, just when the problem looks to be gone it re-appears. I dont think he is ill, he certainly doesnt look as though he feels ill but i expect the bacteria needs to catch up. I have a feeling the weeing has been bought on by the change of food, it seems to be food associated. I spose i cant only explain and see what she says :(

Well the good news is she decided to vaccinate him but the bad news is he's back on the baytril and metacam because they think his bladder is inflamed :(

Poor Buster :(, but at least it is a weight off your mind to have him vaccinated.

I hope he is feeling better soon xx

Great that he's well enough to be vaccinated. :wave: Hopefully the antibiotics will sort it this time. Have you tried probiotics at all?

Yes we've tried Bio-Lapis but it didnt really help. It must be triggered by certain foods as he is so up and down. We've not had any squidgy poo's for a few days now so fingers crossed that he has finally balanced his gut but the weeing is still a problem. We've had to bath him a fair bit as he's been so yellow and stinky poor boy!

What about cranberries? They work in people for cystitis. A quick google search is a bit inconclusive as to whether it's ok to give them to buns but I'm sure you could canvas opinion on here.

I had thought about cranberry juice but i think it has a high sugar content which wouldnt be good for his gut (especially as he did have boughts of squidgy poo) but also i wouldnt have a clue how much to give him.

Back