• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! First time rabbit owner, pets at home disaster!

Sallie

Young Bun
Hi everyone, i have a bit of a problem and its a bit of a long story. I went to my local pets at home store (i have since read online about how incompetent they are) on the 21st of this month to buy two rabbits, hutch etc. I havent had rabbits for years since i lived with my parents. Me and my partner had a look at the rabbits and there were two cuddled up together that looked like they had a close bond. We told the assistant that these were the rabbits we would like. He picked them out and took them to the instore vet, where she did a general health check and checked the gender. She told me and my partner that the rabbits were both males and that their health was fine. Yesterday i was told that male rabbits should not be kept together or sold together, the sales assistant that picked the rabbits out, the vet that checked them, and the assistant that sold them to us didnt tell us that they shouldnt be kept together, even though they knew the rabbits were going in the same hutch that we purchased from them that day. I did some research and found why males should not be kept together and im shocked that we weren't told this by the assistants or the vets. However, today my rabbits have been mating. At least im 99% sure thats what theyve been doing, so im pretty certain that they're not both males they're a male and female. Now i have no idea what to do, i only have the one hutch so cant seperate them. Where do i stand with pets at home on this matter? Also, i havent been told the age or breed of the rabbits. I was given a sales slip, which says on the top rabbit information. The assistant wrote on it so i assumed that he would write age breed etc, however once i got home and looked at it he had just written 'M' 'M' indicating the sex of both rabbits. The slip also sai that the assistant had given me a care sheet, advised neutering of the rabbits and a few other things. He had ticked all the boxes however he hadnt given me a care sheet, and neutering was never mentioned to me. I cant beleive how bad the service has been, and now feel way out of my depth. What should i do now? Thanks for any replies/advice xx

'Mating' or humping as we just call it! Doesn't mean they are male and female.

My two female, sister rabbits hump. It is to show who is boss and to assert dominance.

Males can live together very happily. They will need neutering as soon as their plums drop (about 12+ weeks usually) so they don't get too hormonal as any rabbits (male, female and any combination) will fight when they are hormonal.

What area are you in? Someone may be able to suggest a rabbit savvy vet in the area so you can get them double checked to be certain. Also you can then begin to discuss neutering and vaccinations.

Upload some photo's (via photobucket is best) and we will be able to have a guess at the breed between us!

I'm sorry you have been let down. You do need to find a way of separating them ASAP however not because they may be male/female but also because they could both be male and could cause injury to each other. Also you could take them to a competent vet (you could appeal on here for a vet recommendation in your area) and discuss neutering and getting that done ASAP too.

Did they give you a information booklet?

Firstly its liekly they are males if the vet has checked them, mounting eachother is a sign of dominence, males will hump eachother. It sounds like they are reaching sexual maturirty, if they have only just started signs now I'd say they were roughly 10-12 weeks which is when most buns start to show this behaviour as they hit the teenage stage. Itis possible once neutered for male rabbits to live together but i'd certainly seperate them in the meantime as the humping is likely to turn into a fight, they can do alot fo damage to each other which can prove fatal. I'd go back into pets at home and explain whats happening, I'd also complain because the sales staff should be educated to tell you about neutering and that actually male/female combination usually works best but again you have to seperate until they are neutered and then re-bond once hormones have settled. Do you have a shed you could divide in two for a tempory solution until they are neutere and ready to bond? Do you have a run? How big is your hutch? Where abouts in the country are you? :wave:

:wave:

Deffinatly take them to a vet for sexing, I have two girls (sisters from the same litter) and they humped alot before they were spayed and still do occasionally now. Like has been said it could be dominance...or it could be that they got the sexes wrong. I would complain to P@H about the service you recieved. I dont suppose it wil get you far but they ought to know that they are failing some rabbits and owners!!

You need to get them separated somehow. Maybe see if anyone you know has a spare hutch/pen around. I assume they're inside (since rabbits from P@H won't be prepared for the winter weather) so perhaps you could try and rabbit proof a room that one can live in.

The mating doesn't necessarily mean they are a male and female, as rabbits hump to display dominance. If they're doing this it means they are becoming sexually mature and will fight.
You'll need to get them neutered when they're old enough (whether they're both male, one of each or if they both turn out to be females) and then rebond them. Bonding two males may not be easy but hopefully they'll go back together again.

Alternatively, if you wanted to take one back to P@H I'm pretty sure they'd accept the rabbit back and stick it in their adoption centre.

Oh dear you poor thing! First of all, don't panic - the mating behaviour you describe doesn't necessarily indicate that you have a male and a female, rabbits of either sex also hump each other as a sign of dominance. So it could simply be a sign that they are reaching sexual maturity and are trying to work out which one of them is the boss rabbit. BUT...this is also a sign that you could be about to hit trouble. Male rabbits which have not been neutered will start to fight once they reach sexual maturity, and they can and will do serious damage to each other. So regardless of whether you have two rabbits of different sexes or the same, you will almost certainly need to separate, at least temporarily.

How old are the buns now? Have a look at the pictures in this thread here and see if you can see for yourself what sex they both are. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?46514-Sexing-Buns! If they are both boys and you can see their testicles, then you can get them booked in to be castrated. If you can get them in quick (literally in the next couple of days) you might be lucky enough that they haven't matured enough to fight properly and they may be able to go straight back together again and never have a problem. But if they need to be given longer, they will probably need to be separated until after they are castrated, hormones die down and they can be carefully reintroduced on neutral territory. Actually the same applies if you think they are male and female - they will need separating as the female could get pregnant now if she isn't already, and if the male is still present when the female gives birth, he will get her pregnant again straight away, and that would leave you in a real pickle.

If I were you, I would get them out now and have a look and see if you can sex them for yourself, as at least that way you know what you are dealing with, and then if you can afford it and they seem 'ready', ring the vets in the morning to get them booked in.

Perhaps it's also worth ringing PAH first thing in the morning and asking to speak to the manager - explaining that you weren't given all the information which the sheet suggested and that you have been left in a predicament, and see if they will lend/give you a second hutch or pay for the neutering...anything has to be better than nothing!

Good luck x

Hello welcome to the forum :)
Most of us have been really been let down by pet shops and their poorly inaccurate advice.
That's why most of us support rescues where we expect the right factual advice that helps the owner and rabbit live normally without worries.

Neutering should of have been recommended it prevents testerine cancer, hormonal/ sexual behaviour, makes it easy to litter train a rabbit which takes roughly a day (or more, everybun is different) and enables for the bonding process of rabbits to be less brutal and hormonal than if they weren't neutered.

You are worried about them humping, which can be done to show dominance and also sexual purposes. Two males and two females can hump and a male and female or vice versa.

I would suggest you to go back and talk to them about your queries too, you might find they could exchange one of your males for a female.
However before you mix a male and female they have the potential to reproduce and that puts a stress on you to re home them if you don't want them. Also puts a stress on rescues who are already filled with lots and lots of buns already.

Female can be spayed at 6 months old and males at 4/5 months.

Get the vet to check their sexes again and also ask for the breeds.
Or you could post pics on the forum and some of the knowledgable people could kindly identify their breeds for you :)

As you' ve probably researched male and female bonds are the most successful and loving.

If the pet shop have given you bad advice or a lack of advice. I believe they didn't tell you that a rabbit pair need a hutch measuring a minimum of 6ft x 2ft x 2ft attached to a run of 8 x 4 ft ( these measurements are recommended by the rabbit welfare association and fund and also by the RSPCA.
I would also not be happy about the info given to me. And would go back to tell them about their poorly service.

Wow, thank you for the quick replies everyone! I'll definitely take them into the vets to double check the sex of them, and talk about neutering. No, i wasnt given a care leaflet, although the assistant wrote on the sales slip he had given me one. The only pictures i have have been taken on my phone and arent very good so im not sure if you'll be able to tell the breed, but i'll try and figure out how to upload them anyway. I dont have a shed to seperate them into, the hutch theyre in is a two tiered, double hutch, its called the daisy cottage hutch, they dont have a run yet as the hutch is inside (p@h told me to keep them indoors until the weather gets warmer). Whether they turn out to be male/male, male/female i wont take one of them back to p@h, the sex doesnt bother me i just need to know what i need to do (so thanks for letting me know everyone :p ) From what ive read on here and other sites tonight id never send any pet back to p@h. I'll get them out now and try to sex them myself, but i'll take them to the vets also. Im from Telford, in Shropshire. Thanks for all the advice everyone, and i think ive answered all of your questions (let me know if not). xx

If the bond doesn't get on even after neutering would you keep them separately?
And will you get the appropriate housing to let them live separately?

Wow, thank you for the quick replies everyone! I'll definitely take them into the vets to double check the sex of them, and talk about neutering. No, i wasnt given a care leaflet, although the assistant wrote on the sales slip he had given me one. The only pictures i have have been taken on my phone and arent very good so im not sure if you'll be able to tell the breed, but i'll try and figure out how to upload them anyway. I dont have a shed to seperate them into, the hutch theyre in is a two tiered, double hutch, its called the daisy cottage hutch, they dont have a run yet as the hutch is inside (p@h told me to keep them indoors until the weather gets warmer). Whether they turn out to be male/male, male/female i wont take one of them back to p@h, the sex doesnt bother me i just need to know what i need to do (so thanks for letting me know everyone :p ) From what ive read on here and other sites tonight id never send any pet back to p@h. I'll get them out now and try to sex them myself, but i'll take them to the vets also. Im from Telford, in Shropshire. Thanks for all the advice everyone, and i think ive answered all of your questions (let me know if not). xx

if they are anything like my jasper.... you'll know they are boys ;) :shock: i couldnt believe it when i saw.... *ahem*.... 'them' :lol:

xxx

Yes i would still keep them, after all its not their fault they were mis-sold, i would just have to buy another hutch for either one to go into xx

If you start a thread asking for a Rabbit Savvy vet in Telford, Shropshire, I'm sure you'll get a response from people who will know, as they may not have seen it hidden in here :)

Well pets at home should never not given you details missing but they could have been both males I had 2 males and they were brothers they were absolutely fine but played 'piggy backs ' with eachother. Maybe you should see the vet to het the missing details if you haven't already and get the problem sorted out

Yes i would still keep them, after all its not their fault they were mis-sold, i would just have to buy another hutch for either one to go into xx

As rabbits live better in pairs +.
Would you adopt/buy a female partner for both?

If they are a male-male pair you don't need to separate them unless they start fighting. As long as you get them neutered at the earliest opportunity their bond should stay for the rest of their lives and they can be happy together as any other pair.

If they are a male-male pair you don't need to separate them unless they start fighting. As long as you get them neutered at the earliest opportunity their bond should stay for the rest of their lives and they can be happy together as any other pair.

This is not strictly true. Having had a pair of very loved up boys who developed hormones, prior to them being neutered one humped the other the wrong way round and got his 'little boy bit' nastily bitten. They were so friendly with each other and loved up despite that. It's a huge risk to take.

Sallie, I can tell you're taking on the advice given and trying to do your best. :) That's all anyone can do. Hopefully from here it is onwards and upwards for you all. hopefully you'll find some good help and support here.

Back