• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny waste.....

clarebear

Mama Doe
I think I may have asked this question before, but just wondered how you get rid of your bunny waste?
I phoned the council who told me to put it in with our general waste, but when OH went to the tip with some, they told him to put it in with garden waste! :?

Milton Keynes Council say you can put herbivore waste in the green 'garden and food waste' bin. I fill a large green wheelie bin every week!

Bagged and into general waste. We get green bins here, but only for plastic bottles, paper and cardboard. Think it varies from council to council.

I think I may have asked this question before, but just wondered how you get rid of your bunny waste?
I phoned the council who told me to put it in with our general waste, but when OH went to the tip with some, they told him to put it in with garden waste! :?

It sounds daft, but the two things are probably run on completely different contracts, so the waste could be processed in different ways from doorstep collection or tip collection. If garden waste is heat treated, it might be ok to put bunny waste in it, because any nasties will get destroyed by the heat treatment, but if the waste is processed without heat treating, then the nasties might not be killed so you aren't allowed to put any animal waste in it. The same is true around the country, which is why in some places it's allowed in green waste and in some places it isn't. So much as it seems silly, there are sound technical reasons for it!

I put ours into the brown bin which is kitchen and garden waste. I had one wheelie bin which is emptied fortnightly and I just bought another so now I can fill one bin each week and its much better! :thumb:

We are Central Beds Council......just tweeted them to ask their opinion again! We have black bin for general waste, green bin for cardboard and recyclable stuff, brown bin for kitchen scraps.

Anybody burn their waste in one of those incinarator bins?

This is the list from our council

Garden Waste, Including;

Grass Cuttings & Leaves
Untreated Wood & Sawdust
Flowers and Weeds
Windfall
Prunings from Hedges, Shrubs and Trees
Straw
Shredded Paper (providing it's mixed with green waste)

Kitchen Waste including:

Bread
Fish
Vegetable and Fruit Peelings
Meat
Bones
Dairy Products
All Cooked and Uncooked Food
(food can be wrapped in newspaper to keep odour to a minimum)

NO plastic bags
NO other domestic rubbish
Nothing that will not rot

I assume we are allowed to put animal waste as it doesn't say we can't and it says sawdust, straw and shredded paper so that more or less covers small animal waste. I'd also assume ours is heat treated as we can put meat and uncooked food in.

This is the list from our council

Garden Waste, Including;

Grass Cuttings & Leaves
Untreated Wood & Sawdust
Flowers and Weeds
Windfall
Prunings from Hedges, Shrubs and Trees
Straw
Shredded Paper (providing it's mixed with green waste)

Kitchen Waste including:

Bread
Fish
Vegetable and Fruit Peelings
Meat
Bones
Dairy Products
All Cooked and Uncooked Food
(food can be wrapped in newspaper to keep odour to a minimum)

NO plastic bags
NO other domestic rubbish
Nothing that will not rot

I assume we are allowed to put animal waste as it doesn't say we can't and it says sawdust, straw and shredded paper so that more or less covers small animal waste. I'd also assume ours is heat treated as we can put meat and uncooked food in.

That's the same as Milton Keynes Council - sawdust and hay is acceptable and since it's impossible to remove the poops and wee from the hay then they go in with it too! I also bung the newspapers from the bottom of the piggies cage in there and have never had the bin refused. The refuse collectors must hate collecting my green bin as it always weighs a TON!

I take mine to the local recycling centre and it goes in with Green Garden Waste, inclusive of urine soaked newspaper, which i was once asked to 'seperate' :roll: :shock:

I take mine to the local recycling centre and it goes in with Green Garden Waste, inclusive of urine soaked newspaper, which i was once asked to 'seperate' :roll: :shock:

We were asked at the recycling centre to seperate paper towels, so we now throw them away seperately.

I'm guessing I could maybe put our waste into the green garden bags then.....hmmmmm.

Back