• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites again

Kate123

Young Bun
Hi all,

I have been here previously seeking advice for one of my rabbits who had fur mites. I thought I did my best to treat it with two courses over the past few months of xeno 450, however he and his mate prefer to eat it than let it treat him, and his fur has never been quite right since. Now I have discovered a scaly patch at the top of his ear adjoining his head (on the outside of the ear) so I know he needs treating again. I still have some xeno 450 but I'm reluctant to use it as I don't feel it's completely effective, so was wondering whether I should try the xeno 200 spray or just get him a course of injections at the vets? His mate has never suffered with mites, it's just him, and I would love to have him rid of the ******* finally.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Recurrent mite infestations are indicative of another underlying health problem so I would definitely get him checked over by a Vet before attempting to treat him with anything yourself :)

Recurrent mite infestations are indicative of another underlying health problem so I would definitely get him checked over by a Vet before attempting to treat him with anything yourself :)

Thankyou. I think you're right... He is overweight -2.35kg for a minilop - and it breaks my heart to look at him because he's so big. He was our first (now have 4) and was fed all wrong from the start, 18 months on we're a lot better educated but it's a struggle to get his weight down because his mate isn't a quick eater whereas he is and I don't want her to starve. I have been and bought some electronic scales today to keep his weight better monitored but they may have to go hay only for a time :-(

Thankyou. I think you're right... He is overweight -2.35kg for a minilop - and it breaks my heart to look at him because he's so big. He was our first (now have 4) and was fed all wrong from the start, 18 months on we're a lot better educated but it's a struggle to get his weight down because his mate isn't a quick eater whereas he is and I don't want her to starve. I have been and bought some electronic scales today to keep his weight better monitored but they may have to go hay only for a time :-(

I suspect Dental problems might be the primary issue. A previously poor diet (not enough hay, too many pellets/mix) and a breed disposition toward Dental problems (Lops are more prone to Dental issues) plus recurrent mites (due to Bun not being able to groom himself efficiently due to having poor teeth and being obese) all point strongly to problems in the tooth department.

You could feed your Buns separately to avoid the Buck eating too many pellets :)

His teeth were checked when he was at the vets earlier in the month, no issues. He has always had access to plenty of hay, even as a young bun, but I fed him far too many pellets from 8 weeks and far too much veg from 12 weeks till 6 months when we got his mate and I wised up a bit. I really didn't know better - now I realise I was pretty much killing him with kindness. He started on excel pellets, is now on SS - between them they only get about 40 pellets a day - but I am now going to switch to Oxbow bunny basics having read on here.

Mites can come in on the hay supply. They can live upto 10 days without a host on hay, so it's worth considering using cardboard and paper bedding whilst treating and changing the source of hay temporarily.

Years ago our boy Rio had mites,why we asked the vet as he is a total indoor bun.The hay is the answer,freeze it for 24/48 hours before giving it to your buns.:)

Back