• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stress free hair cut

Boots

Mama Doe
Hi all, one of my bunnies has very long, thick hair (at least two inches in length) that is also very fluffy and light.

He is a very very nervous bun and if a brush/comb comes anywhere near him he becomes very agitated and runs, then hides. Our issue is that his fur needs maintenance (generally he keeps himself in good order), especially his fringe which makes it hard to see, but he hates too much human contact.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably stress free way of cutting his hair? I have done the "bunny burrito" before with a towel, which he coped with but seemed thoroughly traumatised by after. I have also tried doing him in stages across an evening and trimming when I could before he would run away :lol:

Clipping sounds popular on here, but I think the noise would terrify him.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

If he gets that distressed he may need to be clipped under sedation by your Vet.

I think you're right, that might be the best option for him. I'm reluctant to have to rely on the vets too much, as he also doesn't like unfamiliar places.

When you've used clippers in the past, have you found the noise has distressed your rabbits? I don't know for definite he wouldn't cope, but he is incredibly alert to all noises, doesn't like too much stroking/physical contact and is generally a flighty bun. He will accept nose rubs and fuss from me, but no one else and even with me he tires of it reasonably quickly :lol::roll:

Do you have any suggestions on how to do the bunny burrito with a towel efficiently too? I may not be doing it in the best way :)

I have a very similar bun called Jasper, he gets really quite aggressive and stressed when I brush him at home, however when I get him to the vets to be clipped he is good as gold and doesn't require sedation, no one believes he is such a monster at home :roll::lol: I can't say it will be the same for yours but maybe take him to the vets and see what they think?

He does sound very much like my Jasper, and he tolerates the clippers quite well, athough does get a bit bored/feisty near the end. But obviously each bun tolerates things differently.

Hope it all goes ok and sorry I can't help with the bunny burrito, I have never managed to master it!

How about starting by getting him clipped by your vet then getting him used to being thoroughly handled and combed while his coat is short so it will not cause him any discomfort then maybe him and you will be able to manage it long term. I do use scissors to clip my cashmire lops round the bits of them which get tangled but to do this you need to have a good grip on them and to be clear where the coat ends and the rabbit begins! blunt ended scissors are safer obvisouly. Some of them were difficult to manage when I started with them but they are mostly resigned to the process so it does get easier. I don't like having to restrain them against their wills but they don't seem to hold it against me for long! Either you perserve or you pay to get someone else to do it - that's long haried bunnies for you!

I got Annabelle's bum clipped in May or June, and it hasnt grown back completely yet, so you may be able to have quite long periods of time between cuttings/clippings, so you wouldnt have to stress him out that often. I think clipping would be a bit risky near a buns face though, but for anywhere else it is quicker and therefore preferable. I got the vet to do it, he didnt even charge me, I just paid the consultation.

Back