• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bitter Apple Spray

Dave81

Mama Doe
One of my rabbits Fluffy is chewing through the sofa luckily it's old and needs replacing soon but not until I get the chewing under control.

I have managed to stop the seats been destroyed by putting throws over them, let's just say Fluffy didn't look amused, she tried her hardest to pull them off but had no luck.

Now she is chewing the corners of the sofa even though there is a big choice of toys.

If I were to spray the sofas with bitter apple spray would this eventually stop her?

Note she is due to be spayed in a couple of weeks

I've never found bitter apple effective (especially as bunnies often love apple). It would probably be more successful to just block it off so she can't access it. Make sure she isn't ingesting anything that she chews though.

No she isn't eating it, just leaves it on the floor for me to pick up :D

I have ordered some spray to see if it works if not will have to look at blocking it off from her

It might be that particular sofa?

Mine is leather and girls never showed any interest in it - but might be different on a fabric etc.

Mine are both leather, unfortunately both rabbits are interested in them, if I stop this behavior I will be getting some new fabric ones.

I swear they are testing me! fluffy starts chewing then looks at me then looks away to start chewing again, if I push her away she legs it but comes back once I'm not looking. Jezebel comes up for hugs then usually sneaks in a quick chew, although tonight she decided to chew my top instead :lol:

Mine are both leather, unfortunately both rabbits are interested in them, if I stop this behavior I will be getting some new fabric ones.

I swear they are testing me! fluffy starts chewing then looks at me then looks away to start chewing again, if I push her away she legs it but comes back once I'm not looking. Jezebel comes up for hugs then usually sneaks in a quick chew, although tonight she decided to chew my top instead :lol:

I've never had this issue - yet - :lol: fortunately.

But a lot of folks who have problems with rabbits weeing on the bed.

They say it really is for attention - either it gets the owner out of bed to feed them - or they get picked up or told off etc.

They said they literally ignore them - even when they wee on the bed! Apparantly it helps.

Can anyone else back that up?

I found it worked for a few weeks with my girls when they started chewing, but as soon as it wore off, they were at it again.

Ha well I used the spray earlier on this evening, it was like I had rolled out the red carpet no sooner had it gone on they were chewing away!

Washed it off now seen as though it attracted them :lol:

Ha well I used the spray earlier on this evening, it was like I had rolled out the red carpet no sooner had it gone on they were chewing away!

Washed it off now seen as though it attracted them :lol:

:lol: I bet they were like "oooh it's been made even tastier for me now thank you you must want me to chew it :D"

Back