• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do with your rabbits when you go on holiday?

Nahatalie

Young Bun
Just wondering what everyone does with thier bunnies when they go on holiday. I am going to Japan for 2 weeks in the Easter holidays, just scouting for ideas. There is a place near me that takes in cats and rabbits, which would be convinient, but not sure what their facilities are as mine are indoor buns. (And I've also got Holly the hamster to think of! I think I could probably get someone to look after her...hams are pretty easy creatures!).

I live in Southend, Essex, anyone recommend anything?

Well we've had a friend of my mum's who has a rabbit of her own (Boris' sister actually) come over to feed them etc. Not sure how I'll be solving this in the future though if I move to another city and take the buns with me :?

My sister is coming to stay when we go away. She lives with my parents, who have a rabbit, and sticks very rigidly to my long and detailed instructions :lol:

She knows I am a worrier and like my buns to stick with their routine!

neighbour does ours! with 30 animals putting them all into boaring places would cost thousands! only the dogs go to the kennels!

We have two holidays booked for next year and I have booked the girls into a boarding place :) my friend offered to come by and feed them but I would be worried if the weather got bad, if one got poorly after she had been as it would be at least 24 hours before she came back etc!

My rabbits went to a cattery :lol: They have hutches and it's cheaper than rabbit boarding, and they seemed quite happy. In the Summer I went away for 2 weeks and my neighbour looked after them and my guinea-pigs and cat.

My Mum lives next door to me, so she takes care of them if I go away. If I didn't have her, I'd look for a house sitter of somesort as I have other animals as well. A house sitter could do all of the animals, like my Mum does. Boarding all of my animals would be SO expensive!

I will be booking with Alice at Windwhistle Warren when I will need someone to look after them for a few weeks http://www.windwhistlewarren.org.uk/index.html

I just know I couldn't forgive myself if anything happened to them because the boarding owner wasnt experienced enough and didnt notice if one wasnt eating enough hay etc, as rabbits go downhill so fast. I trust Alice and I know how experienced she is, so I'll be less worried if they are there - plus the accomodation at most boarding places is horrendous (a 'LARGE' hutch 'suitable' for giant buns turned out to be a 4ft double at one place :evil: ) and Alice's is big and has individual runs attached.

RNPG rescue also do boarding, and my two nearly went there as the accomodation was the biggest I had seen and really reasonable prices, as it was I didnt end up taking them as I didnt have to go away in the end, but I had great reviews from people on here about them and the accommodation was fab.

I'm going to be away for 5 days later this month and I'm getting a friend to look after them (coming in twice daily) and another friend to check up on that person. I'll be writing a folder with exact instructions and advice about everything.

Last edited:
Going to start boarding them at the local rescue when I'm on holiday :) Left them with friends before- that isn't going to happen again.

Last edited:
We are really lucky our next door neighbour comes in twice a day to do bunnies and cats and any medications, they do our curtains pick up the post etc, it costs us a couple of nice bottles of duty free - bargain. The chap is retired so after sorting his 2 dogs it 'fills in his day'

We did look at a house sitter once, but only looked it wasnt for us

I don't know!! Haven't had to consider it yet - I went away last year but OH stayed here.

Our buns are house rabbits. I'd say stay with dad, but they would have to be outside - so if we go anywhere will have to be in the summer :lol:

Rich and i have never had a holiday together in the 11 years we have been together, the reason being our Buns.

However it just might happen since Alice (as nessa has posted) has opened up a rabbit holiday home, and that for me is the key...knowing someone will love and take care of your Buns as much as you do.

When I went on holiday this year, Furry Friends who runs a pet visiting/boarding business, visited twice a day. I was so thrilled because I didn't have to take them out of their own environment. :wave:

I have a friend come and stay here to look after all of my bunnies and cats.I hadnt been away for over 2 years as thats how long Ive had Rube, so I left him with instructions.

There was an incident where Ruby wouldnt get back into her cage so he sat there with her all night till 6.30am!!

I have a friend come and stay here to look after all of my bunnies and cats.I hadnt been away for over 2 years as thats how long Ive had Rube, so I left him with instructions.

There was an incident where Ruby wouldnt get back into her cage so he sat there with her all night till 6.30am!!
:shock: thats dedication x

I have two friends who come in twice a day. They're great at following my directions and don't mind me phoning every day :oops: I have looked into boarding but a few things put me off it (a) moving Smudge from where he is settled and the journey as he doesn't travel well (b) i can't find a decent boaring place nearby (c) Nutmeg and her referred aggression, I don't think she'd cope well in a place where there are lots of other rabbits.

We very very rarely go out of the country so if anything happened I could drive or catch a train to get home.

Back