• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore leg ?

Soph1992

Warren Scout
Took the buns out for a run around and Flo was a bit quite, any way saw him hop and he looked a bit 'lame' on the left hind.
So I had a look and when I touched it he did not seem to be in pain and he was standing on his hind legs to have a look about so put all his weight on it then.
Just seems a little unwilling to put all his weight on it when running about?

I was going to leave it a few days and see if it improves as he does not seem to be in pain, if it carries on I will take him the vets. No idea what he could of hurt it on?

Bit worried, what would you do?

Thanks Sophie.

If he isn't willing or able to put weight on it as he normally would then that is a sign he is in pain. Ideally he needs to see a vet today for a proper assessment and antobiotics of necessary. Given rabbits hide pain, if you're seeing any sort of any small sign then there is an issue, and you've identified it, so well done, now you need to act on what you identified :)

What do you mean they hide pain well? As in just don't make a fuss? Just confused as he was still standing on his back legs, surely if it hurt that much he would not be able to do this. Ah dear better get on the phone to the vets then, great Christmas treat! :cry:

Rabbits are a prey species so if they show outward signs of pain then they are vulnerable targets for predators, so they keep it hidden (think of people who don't make a fuss or drama when they feel horrendous, or put a smile on when they feel sad- it's that kind of thing).

I've been to the vets today, so I feel your pain but its better to have them checked out than have them in pain or something.

Ah I see what you mean like cats! Yes I would never knowingly keep my buns in pain. Thanks for much for the help and advice.

Sophie.

Will do thanks Sky. He's just out for a play now and seems to be fine :? still going the vets though just to make sure, besides will make me feel alot better. Again thanks for the advise.

Sounds the sensible thing to do :) It would be sensible to keep him confined to a small space if there is a questionmark over an injury or not, to ensure you're not aggravating anything.

Back