• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezes and splutters U/D 30 Dec much improved!

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Not too long ago I took Digby to the vets as he was sneezing a lot, and sometimes making a kind of spluttery cough sound which was worrying. He was put on baytril twice daily for a week and it seemed to work. However it has come back, and he has a bit of White discharge when he sneezes. I still have baytril so I've been giving it him for 2 days now, I hope it clears up again soon. Obviously if he doesn't seem better in a couple of days I will take him back to the vets. The vet said his lungs/heart etc all sounded perfect. It doesn't seem to be getting him down, he still runs round the garden and plays with Daisy, it's just horrible to see him sneezing and spluttering :(

Last edited:
For a respiratory issue Baytril is not likely to be effective. Has he had a culture and sensitivity test done? That would be the next thing to do if he hasn't, so that he gets on medication that is appropriate for whatever infection he is having. Is he also on Metacam for it's anti-inflammatory properties?

I hope he feels better soon; it's so, so horrible seeing them ill.

Boris has been having respiratory issues on and off since mid-September (most likely snuffles) :( And the only antibiotic that has ever helped is Septrin, Baytril didn't help at all, if anything it made everything a lot worse since he went 10 days without proper treatment :( He's always seemed quite bright and happy in himself although when he was at his worst his appetite was reduced and I had to trick him into eating stuff he normally loved :( I think you should talk to your vet about getting him some Septrin instead, it has really helped my little guy out a lot :)

Mischa's been on Septrin though unfortunately his weepy eye has come back after a week off it so it seems to work but maybe it needs a long course.

Mischa's been on Septrin though unfortunately his weepy eye has come back after a week off it so it seems to work but maybe it needs a long course.

Yes with Septrin I believe you need a longer course for it to be really effective, Boris had 2 shorter courses (7 and 10 days) and his snuffles came back both times :( He's now been on it for about a month and only come off it a few days ago so it's too early to tell if it helped this time around, I think I'm going to try to extend the course a little longer to be on the safe side. His breathing is still a bit too quick and every once in a while I hear some strange noises coming from his windpipe, so he's still not 100% right. Although with him having had these issues for so long it could be due to permanent scarring in his lungs :(

Yes Nutmeg has permanent scarring. It doesn't seem to affect her too much, other than when she is sleeping in certain positions or stressed. Having said that, she is going with Mischa tomorrow to the vets too as she's been sneezing and bringing up gunk. Winter is not good to my two snuffle bunnies.

Well I rang the vets yesterday to explain what was going on, and to ask if they would give Digby more meds without seeing him again (he gets very stressed being transported). They said he could have more baytril but for something new they would have to see him. So I said I would see how he was overnight last night, and if he wasn't any better I would take him tonight.
BUT last night he was sneezing a lot less, I haven't seen any discharge for three days now so the baytril must have kicked in :) I've ordered some more so he can have a longer course than last time.
I'm just so happy he's a bit better :D he was binkying round the garden this morning :lol:

Back