• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pulling own fur out

murrimint

Warren Scout
hi all:wave:,
My bunny bo has started pulling out his own fur on his legs and belly. I took him to the vets and they checked him for mites and found no reason for him to do this. I changed his hay in case it was causing irritation but that hasnt helped either, hes starting to look like a plucked chicken! Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated. Thanks!:D

How old is he? Is he neutered?

Can you tell us more about his set up? How big is it? what stimulation does he have?

Did the vet check his teeth? Cehck his joints? check anything that might cause any pain?

thanks for replying sky o :D.
Bo is approx 5 years old (not 100% as he is a rescue bun from fat fluffs) Ive had him for 3 years and he is castrated and has been bonded to pips for all that time. They both live in a 14ftx5ft dog kennel and have free range time every day. He has a mountain of hay every day, science selective pellets in the morning and veg at night. The vet checked him over totally and couldnt find any reason for it. I am wondering if it is stress related as he is a very nervy bun. Do you think that could be the case? I was thinking of trying him on the stress relieve liquid from pets at home but otherwise i am at a loss:(

You made that very easy, thank you :D

Clearly has loads of lovely space, and it's good he got a thorough check up.

Yes, stress can definitely cause it. Has anything particular happened that might have stressed him out? Any changes in his world or yours?

I wouldn't waste time trying the stress relief liquid from Pets At Home, to be honest. I would be inclined to maybe try something like Bachs Flower Rescue remedy just outside where he lives. Also, the people who make Feliway for cats are supposed to be bringing out one for rabbits in the not to distant future which might be useful too.

thanks

:D ok thanks for your help. Ill keep an eye on him and if he doesnt improve i will take him back to the vets and see if we have missed anything. fingers crossed that its just temporary and he will stop eating himself!:thumb:

Back