• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jasmines breathing problems update

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
Well, shes been on antibiotics for 5 days now and no real change so I took her back to the vets as I wasnt happy. He says her heart is fine and dosnt think its an infection. He thinks shes got an inflammation of the lining of the lungs/asthma type thing/ allergy. So he gave her a shot of steroids. He said if this works then she'll probably need regular steroid injections to keep her breathing problems under control and that it probably will be a problem she'll always have. It'll just be a case of managing it.
Has anyone else had this problem with any of their rabbits and what is the long term prognosis and will she ever be able to be off steroids? I didnt think long term use of steroids was good? :(

The use of steroids in Rabbits is usually only a very last resort. I personally would not be happy with this suggestion without further diagnostics to try to establish a definitive diagnosis.

Rabbits are extremely sensitive to the side effects of corticosteroids. These include suppression of the immune system and gastric ulceration.

It is near on impossible to rule out cardiac disease just by listening to the heart with a stethoscope.

If a Rabbit does indeed have an 'allergic asthma' then I would want to try giving steroids via a nebuhaler rather than systemically to try to minimise the impact of negative side effects

We used steroids in Badger but we used them as a last resort; steroids or being PTS. They saved his life for 10 months until they put his liver into failure. I don't regret using them but would never use them in a rabbit if there was another option.

This is something I saw posted on another site.

This a from a lab paper called Therapeutic Contraindications in Exotic Pets. This is just a short excerpt.

http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/ysaep/article/S1055-937X(03)00056-2/abstract

Karen L Rosenthal, DVM, MS, Dip.ABVP

Abstract

Therapeutic drugs legally available for human use have gone through exhaustive pharacodynamic testing and clinical drug trials. Far fewer drugs have been evaluated for common companion animals such as dogs and cats, and practically none have been rigorously evaluated for the exotic patient. Much of our information on dosing, efficacy, and adverse reactions is anecdotal or based on extrapolation from other species. Very little information exists on drug-to-drug interaction in vivo. However, a few recognized therapeutic contraindications exist, and many have been well documented in the field of laboratory medicine. A common example is corticosteroid usage in laboratory rabbits. The exotic animal practitioner needs to be fully aware of these limitations and implications and be willing to perform a thorough literature search for already established information when contemplating the use of a novel drug in exotic animal species.

Rabbits and Steroids

Steroids in rabbits cause two types of adverse reactions. Corticosteroids cause a severe immune suppression and liver toxicity. Other internal organs can also be affected. This is not a new finding but has been recognized since the middle of the last century.

The rabbit is a corticosteroid-sensitive species. Therefore, even small, one-time doses can cause severe changes in rabbits. A review of these changes was reported by Borgmann and coworkers. Toxicity in rabbits was documented in lymphoid organs, the liver, and the adrenal gland.

Toxicity was caused by ocular administration of steroids. Typical hepatic changes caused by steroid administration in rabbits include lipid deposits, glycogen deposition, vacuolization, and hydropic degeneration. These changes were seen whether steroids were given orally, ocular, or subcutaneously.

The immune system is affected by steroids in a multitude of ways. Atrophy and disappearance of lymphoid tissue of Peyer’s patches is described as well as lymphoid tissue in the spleen.

Studies have directly revealed the severe damage that occurs to the rabbit liver with administration of steroids. Even with low steroid doses, biochemical evidence of hepatic destruction was demonstrated. Bile acid concentration increased remarkably with steroid administration. In this study, liver pathology included marked proliferation of cholangioles and bile ducts with mononuclear cell infiltrates in portal areas. Some of these steroid-treated rabbits also had gastric ulceration and gastritis.

Other studies looked directly at the affects of steroid-induced immunosuppression in rabbits and the rabbit’s ability to fight off infection. Numerous studies have shown that steroid immunosuppression causes a decreased survival in rabbits.

Rabbits administered corticosteroids are used as a model for studying meningitis. The steroids, even given just once, reduce the immune response, allowing better study of the effectiveness of the antibiotic.

Models of knee joint infections and the influence and effectiveness of antibiotics require the use of steroids in rabbits. Once steroids are given, increased destruction of the knee joint occurs and the antibiotics are less effective.

Another model of infection is the rabbit keratitis protocol. One dose of a steroid causes enough suppression that invasive lesions of the cornea and treatment can be thoroughly studied.

What investigations does she need to have to find out if it is a heart problem?

Is there any other treatment if it is asthma or allergy? I will ask about the nebuhaler.

Shes not even 3 yet - shes still so young isnt she?

What can I do to improve her quality of life or is she just going to deteriorate? Will she get better?

Sky -o, did Badger have breathing problems or did he have steroids for another illness?

When I go back to the vets next week i want to know what I'm talking about and understand what he is telling me.

Yes, Badger had a miriad of complicated respiratory issues. Basically his respiratory tract was not 'right' and his soft pallet, which works to separate breathing from eating and suchlike didn't work properly, so he used to inhale bits of food, regurgitate bits of food, inhale saliva, stuff like that. It was always worse, much more significantly worse, when he slept. I'll always be grateful to his steroids but he also had to have permanent and covering antibiotics (zithromax), a Bronchodilator (Corvental) and we tried so much else first.

Just been out to give them their tea and Jassy does seem abit perkier. Its good news that she must be feeling better but if the steroids are working it must be true that she does have problems with her lungs. Should I move her inside? Is the cold air harsh on her lungs? Feel abit sad as I cant see how this one is going to sort itself out. :cry:

Back