• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just watched Elsa eat ONE STRAND of hay...

ElsasMummy

Warren Scout
So just watched Elsa (dental bun) eat a strand of hay, first time I've seen her do that in 9 years...

Had been reluctant to reduce her pellets too much in attempts to get her eating hay as she just didn't seem to know it was food! But now I've seen her eat one strand (of Orchard grass I think- she has lots of varieties on offer!) I'm even more determined to get her eating it as the time between dentals seems to be getting shorter.

Any one have experience of getting an old dental bunny who has never eaten hay before to eat it in quantity? I'm concerned that that may have been the first and last strand...

She may have been taste testing it and might not eat it again. I think if she likes it she will eat more but I would not reduce her pellets yet. Any dietary changes should always be gradual, not sudden. You could mix the hay in with her pellets too. Grass is equally good for rabbits and if she won't eat hay you could try her on fresh grass or readigrass. I have an elderly dental girl who refuses to eat hay now and will only eat fresh grass, pellets and herbs. I have been getting lots of fab advice from everyone on here and one thing that cropped up a few times was that increased pellet feeding seemed to lengthen the time needed between dentals. This is what I am currently experimenting with for my bun and am hoping it will work. The time between her dentals has kept decreasing by a week which is worrying.

I hope you find something that works for both of you, in the meantime have some vibes as I can imagine how worried you must be.

When foster bun Peter first arrived his teeth were quite bad, because he's never had hay. I switched him from muesli to pellets, then he had a dental a few weeks later with his neuter. The vet said his teeth were much better! :shock: He still doesn't eat hay, but the pellets seemed to have helped him.

Someone on here suggested mashing some hay with banana. He had a bit of it, but he's still not eating hay :( I wish I knew the answer! It's so frustrating when they don't understand they need to eat hay :(

Sending lots of hay nomming vibes for Elsa and hugs for you xx

Thank you both :)
She's been eating lots of pellets every day (use a small sweetcorn tin as a measure.) Im a bit torn as I know lots of pellet munching is better than nothing at all but I'm going to gradually reduce for a week or so to see if she eats any more hay. She's alwayshad free access to fresh grass in the garden but doesn't eat any, no luck with Readigrass either. These fussy buns! She does go mad for her pellets, kale and spring greens though :)

Back