• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying

Dave81

Mama Doe
I'm planning on taking in Jezebel & Fluffy to be spayed in the next few weeks, how long do they usually stay at the vets for would it be overnight or are they returned the same day (not booked them in yet so haven't asked the Vets)? Also is there anything I need to do in preparation for after the Op they are both house rabbits.

Thanks

I'm planning on taking in Jezebel & Fluffy to be spayed in the next few weeks, how long do they usually stay at the vets for would it be overnight or are they returned the same day (not booked them in yet so haven't asked the Vets)? Also is there anything I need to do in preparation for after the Op they are both house rabbits.

Thanks

I think they usually come home the same day with most vets, mine certainly give them back :lol: Spays are usually done before lunch time and then the staff watch how they re-gain them selves before you collect them around tea-time. I think this is normal/standard procedures. It might differ though. I usually bring the rabbit (and any bonded friends) into the house the night before so they can get used to their new temporary enclosure, plus it gets their temperature stabalized ready for the vets. Then once they're back home after the op, they go straight into the temporary pen I've make for them indoors :) I'd stock up of their fav foods to try tempt them to eat once they're home, and make sure you get Metacam from the vet to take home to give them pain relief for 3-5 days after the spay

ETA: If they are both house rabbits already, set up a small pen where they would usually spend most of their contructive time, e.g. where their food/water bowl is, litter tray etc. It's all familiar then but also restricts them for too much excersize

Thanks, I already have a pen set up for them as that's where they usually live albeit the doors to the pen are always open so they can do as they wish, I can close these easily once they have had the Op to ensure they can't go mad with exercise.

Female rabbits must not be allowed to jump up anything at all for at least 3 days (possibly more - ask your vet) post-op else they risk opening the wound. This includes trying to climb up on your lap or basically anything that involves their front paws from leaving the ground.

They will be fairly quiet when you get them home but should eat/drink/poop/wee, though less so. My vet said that if mine weren't eating properly by the next morning then to take them back in (however, they ate like locusts from the moment they came back home).

Just keep them a bit quiet and restrict their movements as much as you can for as long as you can.

Do not starve your rabbits before their op as this is very dangerous. Ask the vet if you have to starve them during a general enquiry phone call - they should say no, don't starve them. If they say yes, starve them, find another vet.

Thanks

I can shut the cage door to stop them going in and using the ramp, the only small issue is the litter tray it's high ish as it's an under bed storage box, although I do have a smaller rabbit corner tray which would be better for the first week of recovery

I didn't bother with a litter tray - just put newspaper down and changed it 2-3 times a day. They may not feel like climbing anything for a couple of days, let alone jumping. It's a major op for a female bunny as everything is removed, not just tied up like in humans. They will soon go back to using their litter tray - mine went without one for over 10 days (didn't even see it) but as soon as they were back in their hutch, they used it immediately and have done ever since.

it's very likely that for a day or so after the spay, female will pee where they are! my Matilda didnt move for 2 days, eating and drinking from the same spot, i syringed her water and put pellets and veg infront of her face! Don't be alarmed if they don't eat or drink straight away, it took Matilda about 4 hours to ctually eat a tiny bit of veg, and a good day or so for her to eat her normal amount, also get a heat pad, or hot water bottle for them to lie on, matilda didnt move from hers for days!

Good idea didn't think of newspaper, will probably get a small piece of lino too to stop carpet getting too soiled

Good idea didn't think of newspaper, will probably get a small piece of lino too to stop carpet getting too soiled

puppy training pads are good! they hold all the wee, tho just watch buns don't nibble the plasticy ends!

Mine stayed overnight as I didn't feel comfortable taking them home right away (I live an hour and a half to 2 hours away from my vet). I picked them up the next afternoon. However most can be picked up the same day. You have to keep them warm, calm, and make sure they have something soft to lie on, so their wounds don't get irritated.

We had a puppy cage for ours, complete with puppy pad inside. We stood ours on ripped open bin bags - no mess underneath then, as they tended to wee in a corner and very cleverly got it out through the bars onto the floor :roll: but it didn't matter as it was on the bin bags and newspaper everywhere. (yours is a different set up though as ours are outdoor bunnies). They couldn't get to the bin bags either as they were well under the cage.

puppy training pads are good! they hold all the wee, tho just watch buns don't nibble the plasticy ends!

These are fine but they are misleading - they hold quite a bit of wee BUT when you pick it up be mindful that the liquid will just pour out like a waterfall (like ours did). Nice. Not. :lol:

Thanks for all the hints and tips, I will at least be prepared in advance. I'm lucky that there is a 24 hour staffed vets within 5 mins walk so any problems I can ring anytime to get medical help, hopefully though everything will be fine

I've rung the vets today to pull forward the spay for both of them.

Jezebel must be getting more hormonal now as she has started thumping her feet when Fluffy comes near her back end. She has even made threatening lurches to Fluffy and this has made them both circle each other.

Is it right to break up the circling behavior or do I just leave them to it? Only happens every so often then there back to lying down with each other again.

I only need to last until Thursday as that is spay day

It sounds like a fight is imminent to be honest and the sensible thing to do would probably be to separate them when not supervised and only have them together when supervised (or not at all) although preferably separate them so that they are next door to each other and can see and interact with each other through the bars.

fingers crossed you can get to thursday with minimal trouble!! I was a wreck the last few days before my girls were spayed becuase one was constantly humping the other and i was so worried about a fight! But we got to spay day and they were spayed together and kept together and are now stil living together happily :)

Well that failed fluffy just got annoyed and launched herself out, oh well back to the drawing board :lol:

Success I think, Fluffy new now has a roof on hers I don't think Jezebel can jump that far.

I feel cruel now seen as though they have a small cage each and no more freedom to do what they want :-( neither of them look impressed.

just have to keep telling myself it's temporary!!

I'm going to let them out when I'm home so they will at least have a few hours to play and stretch.

I'm assuming seen as though they can still see each other and be able to interact for a few hours a day the bond will be fine?

Me again :wave::lol:

I'm assuming I will be able to take them to the vets in the same pet carrier? It's only a quick journey so would it be safe to assume as they are out of their comfort zone they will just huddle together rather than try to hump or fight?

Also once I have them back from the vet am I OK to put them both together to recover rather than keeping them separate?

Thanks

Back