• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Constantly putting on weight

weedug

Mama Doe
The vet reckons Timmy is about 5, maybe older. He has eye ulcers in each eye, and has been getting treatment for them.

The problem is, he is always putting on weight. Every vet visit he has put on weight, and I reduce his food. Next visit his weight is up again. I'm not even sure if he's getting enough now, to get the goodness he needs.

Currently in a day he is getting 8g (or slightly less) of Rabbit Royale, 2 small pinches of grated carrots (he takes his medicine with them), a small spring green, a few springs of herbs (coriander and basil) and a fenugreek crunchie at bedtime. He has free access to hay, and eats loads of it!

He has been on Metacam since last March for his ulcers, and is now on Septrin as this seems to be helping his ulcers a bit. He gets access to a run, where he will run around for some of the time.

Am I missing something obvious?

How much weight does he put on each time? 10g? 100g? More?

Might he just be putting on weight because it's winter and he's putting on some weight to cope with that?

He's put on about 600g in 9 months, and is looking tubby now.

Don't think it's a winter thing, as he's been putting the weight on since March, and I have been cutting back his food all the time.

I find RR really good for rabbits I need to put on weight so it may be that it just has more calories than he is using. Allen and Page natural pellets are very high in fibre and have a good reputation but they don't cause the weight gain other foods do. I wonder if it might be worth trying some, they are really cheap as well!

I'll see about trying the other pellets, thanks.

Sorry to seem stupid :oops:, but I still don't understand how he is putting on weight. It's about the same amount every 2 weeks, although I have been feeding him less after each visit. Next time we go there is about the same increase.

I had a really tubby foster rabbit last year, who lost weight beautifully, and gradually. With my other buns, if I feed them more they put on weight, and feed them less they lose weight.

Timmy now gets fed about half of everyone else, but he keeps putting on weight :?.

Back