• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What to do to stop extra/squidgy poo?

shelley

Mama Doe
Hi All

Im still having problems with Buster. I think the soft poo's that they are supposed to eat are not being eaten, especially in the mornings, they just end up smeared into the kitchen tiles :roll: im desperaty trying to find out how to stop this?

All his normal poo's are fine big round and golden and he's not poorly at all, he just never eats those poo. Is he eating too much?

Ideally I think we need his diet listed out for us, treat he gets, veg and the amount/type, how much pellets and what pellets etc :) then we can give advice

He gets about an egg cup of Excel Junior/Dwarf pellets. 1-2 leaves of green cabbage or spring greens and occassionally a few sprigs of mint. Ive stopped treats and only treat him with fruit/veg now such as sprouts/green beans/banana/blueberries/broccili/cauliflower/carrot but i dont give them to him every day and when he does get them its only a small amount. He mainly eats hay, i use Timothy Hay by Alfalfa King.

He gets about an egg cup of Excel Junior/Dwarf pellets. 1-2 leaves of green cabbage or spring greens and occassionally a few sprigs of mint. Ive stopped treats and only treat him with fruit/veg now such as sprouts/green beans/banana/blueberries/broccili/cauliflower/carrot but i dont give them to him every day and when he does get them its only a small amount. He mainly eats hay, i use Timothy Hay by Alfalfa King.

Diet generally sound OK. But I'd cut out fruit altogther, carrot and banana are a big no-no if they're getting runny bums :) I know cabbage is generally ok (the amount you give too) but not 1--% about the rest. I'd probably cut the veg to much smaller portions for now though, just to see if there is any change. I think, give him his pellets as usual, and unlimited hay as per norm, but cut out everything else. If it helps, slowly re-introduce veg one at a time, and see which may be triggering it :)

Cabbage and spring greens regularly cause dysbiosis in susceptible rabbits. If bun eats lots of hay then I personally would cut out everything but hay for a couple of days and then only reintroduce a small amount of pellets but consider a slow change over to another brand as Excel are renound for causing dysbiosis also.

Cabbage and spring greens regularly cause dysbiosis in susceptible rabbits. If bun eats lots of hay then I personally would cut out everything but hay for a couple of days and then only reintroduce a small amount of pellets but consider a slow change over to another brand as Excel are renound for causing dysbiosis also.

In addition to this, junior pellets are likely to cause dysbiosis is susceptable rabbits too, so it might be worth putting him onto an adult pellet if that works with all his problems.

Just to agree with above posts on Excell.Specially the junior/dwarf pellets.
I now feed Science Select with no problems.xxx

I had problems with the Excel pellets too - they caused a huge amount of excess caecotrophs with one of our first rabbits. He was no better with Science Selective (however this is 4+ years ago now). It wasn't until I switched to Oxbow Bunny Basics T that the excess caecs stopped.

I made an assumption that as the Excel and SS were alfalfa based and the Oxbow timothy hay based that the alfalfa was the cause. This may well have been a co-incidence but I have carried on with the Oxbow despite being pricey for 6 rabbits, as touchwood, they thrive on them.

Ok i will change his pellets. I wasnt giving him cabbage and spring greens to begin with, i was giving him kale and rocket but was recommened to stop the kale and change over to spring greens. What pellets should i move him onto, just the adult pellets or the adult lite? (my other rabiit Lola is on the lite so it would be easier to move him onto that :oops:)

Back