• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gut stasis for three weeks now????

marley1982

Young Bun
Hi Every-one

I recently posted about Doug who seemed to go into gut stasis 3 weeks ago, he had an emergency dental and then i posted as he was still not eating himself.

we are now three weeks on and he is eating veg on his own but we are still syringe feeding him all day and through the night too as he still has limited poops and is not eating pellets/hay or drinking on his own

he has been on Metacam, Metraclopramide, gripe water for three weeks and my vet also gave Loxicam to try and shift a suspected blockage.

I havent slept properly for three weeks now, absolutely shattered but the worst is the constant worry.

I am going to take him back to vets on Wed and ask to have an xray as I think we need more idea of what is going on but in the meantime does anyone have any advice they can give me???

Thank you

Did your vet give you any fibreplex? my Matilda had statis twice! and fibreplex works wonders! its the hardest thing in the world to get down them, but its good stuff!

I had this with Bobby once - it seemed to go on forever! We did find an abscess developing on his jaw, unfortunately.
I think you're right to get some x-rays done if they're not sure of the cause, and I'm sure there'll be some more knowledgeable people along soon with more ideas.

Thanks....No fiberplex, what does it do? i will ask on wed about it when i take him down. I have quite a few rabbits and have experienced Gut stasis a few times but the maximum one of my little ones was ill (apart from one I sadly lost due to Gut Stasis) was approx 4 days and they usually recover quite well once medicated and fed every hour or so..

How long do you think Bobby was in stasis? it is reassuring to hear that others have had similar problems as I start thinking and imagining the worst

It's a long time to have it. When my others have had it, it has a 24 hour thing usually, after vet treatment.
It seems strange that he's had a dental and still like it though.
It may well be a blockage, although if it's a suspected blockage, I'm surprised they haven't already x-rayed.
Hope he feels better soon.

thank you, me too... wish they could talk to us and tell us what was bothering them. I would do anything to make him better

I hope that the X-rays can give you some idea of why he isn't happy eating properly. It might be worth asking on here for recommendations of vets in your area who are experienced with rabbits so you can put your mind at rest.

See if you can get an ultrasound done, they are better at looking at soft tissue than x-rays (plus you can see the gut moving in realtime). Or better, get both :)

Hello

Just an update.

Doug had a xray on Wed and has no blockage and no other abnormalities found. He has been increased on the Metroclopramide for three days and then he will be reviewed again. My vet has advised to sprinkle blackcurrant cordial on cut up hay to try and get him eating hay.

Thanks for all the advice and comments its very much appreciated.

Back