• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two boys together ... ?

Bunnysam

Alpha Buck
My fiance and I have two house bunnies. But very sadly my girl, Rosie, passed away at the age of 8 a week ago. We have been absolutely devastated. She left behind her partner of 8 years, Billy. He has been very sad and over Christmas he came away with us to my sisters. He was kept in a bedroom with her house bunny, Jack (also 8 years old). They were in separate large cages but could see each other and smell each other. We let Billy out periodically to roam about the room (and also the house) and they sniffed through the cage. We were on standby for fighting/biting through the bars but, surprisingly, nothing like this happened. They seemed quite interested in each other and I noticed that he seemed to have a new little lease of "life" and was quite perky being near Jack. It was nice to see :) When we went to pack his things away and collect him for his travel cage he didn't want to go away from Jack. He now seems quite sad being at home again in his room by himself. My sister's husband said we should bring Billy round again because he thought Jack liked him. Would it be possible to put them together (slowly of course)? A few years ago they met through a barrier one Christmas, when Rosie was alive, and they tried to attack. I can only assume it was because Billy was possessive because of Rosie. Maybe now he is on his own he would like the company, even though Jack is a male. It breaks my heart him being an only child. They were inseparable. I don't really want to go down the route of getting another bunny as we are getting a puppy next month. Also the heartbreak of Rosie has been pretty traumatic. But equally Jack is lonely and so is Billy so perhaps it makes sense to try partner them? (I haven't asked my sister yet if she would be willing to part with bunny Jack LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Any advice much appreciated.

I joined Rabbits United in 2004 and haven't been on a for a while!!!!!!!!!! Sam x

While two bonded boys can work out nicely, I don't think its very fair to let him have a companion sometimes and not others. So personally, I wouldn't do it.

Boys can work out, but it just depends on their personalities. If you're going to bond them with the aim of them eventually living together then you're going to need to ensure they are properly and fully bonded to be fair to them.

The whole point of bonding Jack to Billy was for Jack to come and live with us forever. Maybe my post wasn't very clear. It is more unfair for Billy to be lonely. After 8 years of them together he is now on his own. I wasn't really prepared to get another bunny because of getting a new puppy in January and therefore more vets costs and devoting time to my pets equally. BUT Billy's happiness is paramount. That is what I meant. :?

The whole point of bonding Jack to Billy was for Jack to come and live with us forever. Maybe my post wasn't very clear. It is more unfair for Billy to be lonely. After 8 years of them together he is now on his own. I wasn't really prepared to get another bunny because of getting a new puppy in January and therefore more vets costs and devoting time to my pets equally. BUT Billy's happiness is paramount. That is what I meant. :?

I thought it was clear enough...but, if you weren't going to get another rabbit originally, why question yourself about Jack? Because essentially, he is another rabbit. I hope that makes sense? I think he needs a new friend like you already know, and I'd be more enclined to put my rabbit first before getting a dog? Sounds annoying as it would ruin your plans but what I would do is hold of getting a dog, and get him a friend, jack or another. BUT who's to say he wont be happy befriending the dog? Depending on what type of dog it is obviously (breeds matter where bunnies are concerned)

Oh sorry, I thought you meant he could play with Jack when you were at your sisterss :wave: then be alone when you took him home again!

I agree with you 100% then, yes, it would be better for them to be companions, if they will accept each other :)

Back