• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bluebell and Rosie (House Chickens)

FarplaceRescue

Alpha Buck
Meet my 2 new house guests Bluebell and Rosie. We rescued several hundred battery hens in the few weeks before Christmas. Many have new homes as pampered pets, and we are still looking for homes for quite a few.
These 2 little girls are having trouble standing, and were very weak.

This is Bluebell. She has been in the house since Christmas Eve and is starting to stand better.
hensandhope001800x600.jpg

And Rosie who came in today and is rather poorly.
hensandhope002800x600.jpg

Don't they look cosy in their new Christmas jumpers?

The jumpers were made for us and donated by animal lovers. We think they are perfect for the sickly ones, and the poor girlies with very few feathers.

Sorry if this is a s illy question bit how friendly are they? Are they scared or do they see you as a source of food now?

They are very frightened at the moment. Everything is new to them. they have never even seen their own eggs before! They know nothing about rain or snow, and would sit outdoors and die because they don't know to get under cover. We have currently got them in a barn where they can spread their winds and learn to scratch for food. We visit them regularly with food and water, and to check their health, and always talk quietly and move gently.
Within a few weeks (by springtime perhaps) they will be very confident happy girls who will follow me anywhere if I am holding a bucket.
It's so good to watch them change from featherless scared little birds to fully feathered confident ones.

They are very frightened at the moment. Everything is new to them. they have never even seen their own eggs before! They know nothing about rain or snow, and would sit outdoors and die because they don't know to get under cover. We have currently got them in a barn where they can spread their winds and learn to scratch for food. We visit them regularly with food and water, and to check their health, and always talk quietly and move gently.
Within a few weeks (by springtime perhaps) they will be very confident happy girls who will follow me anywhere if I am holding a bucket.
It's so good to watch them change from featherless scared little birds to fully feathered confident ones.
Thats so sad and the last bit so lovely. how long to they tend to live for when well looked after?

Dear little girls.A friend of mine has these rescue chickens.Have come on leaps and bounds and can now stroke them....they love it!!
They follow us all the time in the yard....

They can live for about 8 years if we can get them well. This is what they look like when we first get them out of the battery farm. This one is typical. Some are much worse, a few have more feathers.
Henrescue2.jpg

I've had ex bats in the past, some came in a worse state than others :cry: I remember the first lot couldn't even walk they didn't know that one foot could go in front of the other because it was something they had never been able to do :( but they slowly learnt and it was wonderful :love: and within 6 weeks they were running at full speed across the garden to either chase the cat or if you were digging and there was any chance of them getting a worm :lol:

One of mine only lasted 2 months although they were 2 happy months pecking scratching and sunbathing with a peaceful passing with the help of the vet instead of the hideous death she would of endured at the abitoir

Another only 6 months and the rest between 1 and 3 years.

I miss my chooks they have the most amazing funny personalities :love: my last hen Doris was so friendly and tame she followed me everywhere even into the house if she could get away with it and used to sleep curled up in Pringles(my Samoyeds) tail :love:

one day I will have more chooks again :)

I do hope your girlies do well and can have a lovely happy life doing all the things chickens should be able to do :)

Its heart breaking what bad conditions they come in :( Not even knowing how to walk... :cry: Poor chickies.

Back