• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A sticky problem.

Hello everyone, greetings from Denmark.
I just found this website, and would like to thank the people who started it as i have only been a rabbit owner for a year, and i have often wondered whats best for my bunnies.

My question concerns rabbit droppings. But first heres a little background, information needed to be able to answer my question.

I have 2 rabbits, Molly, and Tot. ( Tot is the Danish word for the fluffy things you find under the sofa when you havent dusted for a while ) Molly is approx 2 years old, no idea of the race name, shes a dwarf rabbit, short-haired, grey, and with droopy ears. Tot is just under a year old, shes white, longhaired, also a dwarf rabbit, and resembles a small white lion. They absolutely adore each other, and are seldom more that a few meters apart.

I´m amazed at how 2 rabbits can have such different personalities ( bunnyalities ? ).... Molly takes everything calmly, and loves being stroked. Molly on the other hand is a nervous wreck, and barely tolerates being tickled behind the ears..... I should say at this point that i rarely pick them up and cuddle them, i prefer coming down to their level, and stroking them on their terms.

Anyway, back to the problem. The rabbits dont live in a cage, although there is an open cage containing food , water, and fresh hay / straw. Beside this is a kitty litter also filled with straw where most of their droppings end up. There is also a fresh pack of meadow hay available for them to munch should they choose. They have free range over my flat as my cables are hidden, and the door to my ( I have forgotten the English word, but its an outside area built onto the face of the building 3 floors up ) is open 24 hrs a day 12 months of the year. They can go out and watch the sunrise, look at the stars, feel the rain, or burrow in the snow whenever they wish. When i go to bed at night, they both sleep at the end of my bed on " their " towel, and seem content.

I admit, i spoil my rabbits rotten, but i have always been an animal lover.

Their diet consists of good quality premixed dry food, hay, lots of fresh vegetables daily ( carrots, cucumber, lettuce, cabbage stuff like that ) i buy nibble sticks for the teeth, and sometimes hand feed them peanuts as they are crazy about them. This is a question within a question, but i have always been puzzled by the fact that i have never seen them drink water. There is a bottle of fresh water in the cage, but they never use it. Is it ok that their entire water needs are covered by vegetables ? Is it normal ?....

Now we come to the problem. Molly´s droppings look as they should. Small, individual dry pellets, but despite having the same diet, Tots droppings are very different. large, wet, sticky blobs. As she is long haired this poses obvious problems. The poor little thing looks practically blocked sometimes, and i have to physically hold her down to try to clean as best i can. I live alone and its not easy to hold her.... she scratches, wriggles and kicks and its really difficult. I also hate doing it as i hate making them unhappy. She doesnt seem ill...or in discomfort, but it must be awfull for her to have these lumps of matted hair at the back.

What should o do ?...... Should i bite the bullet, wrap her in a towel, and force her back end into a basin of warm soapy water and try to clean her with a cloth ?.....
Should i carefully cut the hair around her anus ?....This will be very difficult for 1 person as she protests so much.....
Can her anus become seriously blocked and cause her to suffer ?
What happens to these rabbits when it occurs in the wild ?
Should i change their diet ? But why affect one rabbit and not the other ?
Is there some form of medicine to dry her droppings ?

You can imagine, i have many questions, and would be glad of any help and advice you can give.

Happy New Year...

Bob

Hi Bob,

Welcome to RU :)

I hope you can find some info here that will help.

Firstly, it can be totally normal for bunnies to not drink, but it might be worth offering a ceramic bowl with water in and seeing if that encourages them to drink :)

I think it would be important to get Tot to the vets and ask them to shave her down below so that you can work to help her stay cleaner, easier. Yes, it is very serious if rabbits get messy like that, especially in the warm weather, when they can be prone to a condition called Fly Strike (flies lay their eggs on the mess and they hatch and the maggots eat the bunny- yes, sadly, it's as horrible as it sounds).

Can you explain exactly what their diet consists of in terms of amounts?

It would be worthwhile pulling back their diet to a very basic diet of just hay and nothing else. It might also be woth swapping all the straw for hay (primarily in the litter tray but elsewhere too) and seeing if that helps.

It might also be beneficial to be able to give Tot a probiotic, but I don't know what is available over there. I am unsure if you can order from online in the UK and get stuff sent over, but that might be possible, Options here are products called Protexin Profibre pellets, Fibreplex, Bio-lapis and in the US there is a product called Bene-bac which is also very effective.

It might affect Tot more than Molly if she is sensitive to one of the foods that you feed her, or if she has a gut condition or issue, or if she has a misgrowth of bacteria in her gut. Generally, similar to how some people can have upset stomachs and issues and others don't.

Hope this helps and I hope we can help your bunny pair :)

Hi Bob, Welcome to the forum!

Some rabbits have cast iron stomach and others are a bit more sensitive. Hay (or grass) is the most important part of the diet and they should be eating lots of this every day.

Dry foods vary in quality and sometimes labelled premium doesn't mean they are as good as they say. What you want to look for it high fibre 18%+ and lowish protein 12-14%. It should say on the packet. Pellets rather than mix are generally better - they might look boring to us but they are usually much healthier. It's also important to limit the amount, an egg cup or two per day per rabbit for an average sized adult bunny. To much protein (to much high protein dry food) and not enough fibre is the most common trigger for this problem.

Fresh vegetables are great, they are high in water which is why your buns don't drink much. Sometimes a particular type of veg with upset an individual rabbit so it may hep to keep a record of what you feed and see if it corresponds with the problem.

Peanuts are very high in protein, which can be a trigger for 'sticky bottom', when the ceacal poops get stuck to the fur instead of eaten. I would cut these out completely - as they aren't good for rabbits. Rabbits should eat plants eg grasses/leaves rather than seeds like you would feed hamsters, mice etc.

I'd suggest temporarily cutting out dry food and veg and just feed hay for a few days - even a week, if this stops the problem then you can gradually reintroduce things and see what the trigger is.

Hello Bob :wave:

I would cut out the sweet veg like carrots. I cannot give Mini carrots on a regular basis, or any sweet veg or fruit. Brassica plants such as cabbage, brussel sprouts, spring greens can also cause it. I would reduce the vegetables you are giving her and stick to hay and pellets for a while.

When Mini is sticky I find the best thing is to lay her on her back in my arms, like a baby and use toilet paper (get someone to pass it to you!) to get the worst of it off. As she's indoors you won't have to worry so much about flystrike. Sometimes you can get it all off in one big lump, sometimes it spreads out more. But try and do it quick and hopefully she might be able to clean the rest of herself up. If it's really bad see if a vet can trim her, I wouldn't try to do it yourself unless she's a relaxed rabbit and you feel confident handling her and have someone who can help. If you DO decide to try this use rounded scissors, not ones with tips, in case something happens.

Wow---

I am overwhelmed by your help. And very very grateful. Thankfully its midwinter here in Denmark, no flies...so no flystrike. Sounds gruesome.

The diet seems to be the issue here. I must admit to being a big softie with my rabbits..... I had no idea they were so much fun. My ex-girlfriend had one, before i met her rabbit, to me they were these strange unnaproachable creatures that people kept in cages at the bottom of the garden, animals with no personality whatsoever. Her rabbit Trille taught me different.... it ruled the living room..... if i was sitting on her spot on the sofa, i got bitten !.... i also thought rabbits couldnt make noises..... but when i was cleaning her cage out she hated it, pushed me away with lightning strikes of her front paws, and made deep grunting sounds.....she was an old lady, an old lady with attitude....and i was devastated when she died, i had become as attatched as one does to a dog or cat.

Soooo...when our relationship ended and i found my own little place, it was quite natural for me to choose a rabbit ...well....2 rabbits as i read they were social animals. Im enjoying single life with " my girls ".... and the big tough guy who goes to work every day looking after difficult teenagers....turns into a right softie when he comes home. ....

Anyway, i am learning as i go along.....today i learnt that peanuts is not good...... problem is, if im sitting on the sofa watching a film, and i want to eat peanuts myself.... as soon as Tot hears the rustle of the packet....she jumps straight into the bag.....literally !... Its hard being hard with small bunnies....but i guess i have to.

I have unfortunately had misleading advice. I bought my starter kit from a well known chain of animal suppliers, Bonnies, I dont know if you have them in England. I was told to throw away the calcium stone as it filled the rabbits stomachs with small stones, shortening the rabbits life......so i did this, then another chain of animal supplies told me it was important to give the rabbits this stone to lick . One person tells me Molly licks my face because she likes me ( Tot wouldnt dream of it )...another says she licks for the salt. So in many ways im in the dark here.

One of you asked about amounts......... well...... hay and straw is around constantly, but they only nibble it from time to time...... i read on the internet that it was important rabbits have access to dry food constantly as they are used to a constant food source in nature, so the food bowl is constantly topped up, never empty. As for type of food..... it is a ready mixed variety, containing all manner of things......it must be good quality because its expensive, and bought in pet shop as opposed to cheaper version in supermarket. One of you mentioned pellets....i have also read pellets are bad for rabbits, and some pre mixed foods can be bought pellet free...... i think my 2 spoiled teenage girl rabbits would rather starve than eat pellets......lol..

I had an idea i was giving too many veg.... a typical day would be......for them to share ... 1 very large carrot cut into matchsticks ( Yes i do that so they can hop out of the cage and eat on the carpet if they want...... 7 or 8 leaves of lettuce.....and about 2 cups of cabbage.... 3 types every day. The stuff that isnt eaten gets thrown away next day replaced by fresh.....

Apart from carrots..... the other stuff gets replaced in the summer by dandelions....and stuff i pick myself...

Ok.... i know what i need.... theres a programme on discovery called " Dog whisperer ".... where dog owners get a lesson in tough love.....I need you lot to be my Bunny Whisperers....cos i think i spoil my girls........

Yep bunnies are used to constantly grazing, but on hay not dried food :) too much dried food can also give them sticky botty. Gradually cut it down until you are giving around one eggcupful a day per rabbit. I know it doesn't seem like much but they really don't need a lot and need lots of hay and if they get lots of pellets they'll be far less likely to eat hay. :)

They don't really need salt stones either. They can cause stones in the kidneys and they get enough calcium from their pellets. She'll be licking you to say she loves you :) she's grooming you which is a sign of love and devotion. :love:

Pellets are better than a mix because they can't feed selectively on the sugary treaty bits. My lops had a mix food to begin with and Mischa refused point blank to eat the pellets but after a few weeks of gradual change he started to try them. Now he views them as treats!

I am overwhelmed by your help. And very very grateful. Thankfully its midwinter here in Denmark, no flies...so no flystrike. Sounds gruesome.

The diet seems to be the issue here. I must admit to being a big softie with my rabbits..... I had no idea they were so much fun. My ex-girlfriend had one, before i met her rabbit, to me they were these strange unnaproachable creatures that people kept in cages at the bottom of the garden, animals with no personality whatsoever. Her rabbit Trille taught me different.... it ruled the living room..... if i was sitting on her spot on the sofa, i got bitten !.... i also thought rabbits couldnt make noises..... but when i was cleaning her cage out she hated it, pushed me away with lightning strikes of her front paws, and made deep grunting sounds.....she was an old lady, an old lady with attitude....and i was devastated when she died, i had become as attatched as one does to a dog or cat.

Soooo...when our relationship ended and i found my own little place, it was quite natural for me to choose a rabbit ...well....2 rabbits as i read they were social animals. Im enjoying single life with " my girls ".... and the big tough guy who goes to work every day looking after difficult teenagers....turns into a right softie when he comes home. ....

Anyway, i am learning as i go along.....today i learnt that peanuts is not good...... problem is, if im sitting on the sofa watching a film, and i want to eat peanuts myself.... as soon as Tot hears the rustle of the packet....she jumps straight into the bag.....literally !... Its hard being hard with small bunnies....but i guess i have to.

I have unfortunately had misleading advice. I bought my starter kit from a well known chain of animal suppliers, Bonnies, I dont know if you have them in England. I was told to throw away the calcium stone as it filled the rabbits stomachs with small stones, shortening the rabbits life......so i did this, then another chain of animal supplies told me it was important to give the rabbits this stone to lick . One person tells me Molly licks my face because she likes me ( Tot wouldnt dream of it )...another says she licks for the salt. So in many ways im in the dark here.

One of you asked about amounts......... well...... hay and straw is around constantly, but they only nibble it from time to time...... i read on the internet that it was important rabbits have access to dry food constantly as they are used to a constant food source in nature, so the food bowl is constantly topped up, never empty. As for type of food..... it is a ready mixed variety, containing all manner of things......it must be good quality because its expensive, and bought in pet shop as opposed to cheaper version in supermarket. One of you mentioned pellets....i have also read pellets are bad for rabbits, and some pre mixed foods can be bought pellet free...... i think my 2 spoiled teenage girl rabbits would rather starve than eat pellets......lol..

I had an idea i was giving too many veg.... a typical day would be......for them to share ... 1 very large carrot cut into matchsticks ( Yes i do that so they can hop out of the cage and eat on the carpet if they want...... 7 or 8 leaves of lettuce.....and about 2 cups of cabbage.... 3 types every day. The stuff that isnt eaten gets thrown away next day replaced by fresh.....

Apart from carrots..... the other stuff gets replaced in the summer by dandelions....and stuff i pick myself...

Ok.... i know what i need.... theres a programme on discovery called " Dog whisperer ".... where dog owners get a lesson in tough love.....I need you lot to be my Bunny Whisperers....cos i think i spoil my girls........

We all start somewhere with learning :) I'd say that is alot of veg...mine don't often get veg, if they do it's the same boring stuff, cabbage leaves etc. Carrots are high in sugars so aren't best for bunnies. Try think about what a wild rabbit would eat, and try resemble this in their home. E.g. wild rabbits eat grass as their main diet so you can do the same by giving hay, or grass if you like :) Also, rabbits would only usually eat things that grow ground level, so carrot top greens (leaves/stem) are accessable for rabbits, but the carrot root it's self isn't :)

I'm glad you enjoy bunnies, they are brilliant. Unfortunatly, most people don't give them the chance to show them how great they are!

ETA: I like to think of rabbit mix food or pellets at a vitamin source for extra "umph". I guess in the wild, rabbits would eat things like fallen berry leaves and get added nutience from this. :) so I always try mimic their wild cousins diet if I can

We all start somewhere with learning :) Also, rabbits would only usually eat things that grow ground level, so carrot top greens (leaves/stem) are accessable for rabbits, but the carrot root it's self isn't :)

That's a really good point - something I'd never thought about, anyway. :)

A natural diet for a rabbit is grass (which you can substitute with hay - dried grass) and a few other weeds like dandelion. Grass is very high in fibre but otherwise not that nutritious so rabbits need to eat a lot of it and their bodies are set up to work that way. Dry food is the opposite, low in fibre and high in calories, basically it's too rich and that is what causes the problems. I think if you reduce it, and shop around and see if there is a pellet that is better then that will make a big difference. It's important to change gradually though, so mix the old and the new together over a couple of weeks if you do change brands.

You'll probably find that once you reduce the dry food they'll eat more hay and that will make their poop better as they'll be getting the extra fibre.

I hand feed rabbit pellets as treats for my rabbit (instead of giving them in a bowl for dinner) he really likes them. I know they look boring but rabbits don't care about pretty colours - he thinks they are really tasty!! You can do the same with vegetables, just save a portion to use as treats, fresh herbs are great for this.

Basically you want your rabbits to eat a portion of hay about the size of their bodies every day, a very small portion of dry food and then the amount of vegetables is varies a bit more. Leafy parts are better than roots/fruits, which are where plants store their energy.

A natural diet for a rabbit is grass (which you can substitute with hay - dried grass) and a few other weeds like dandelion. Grass is very high in fibre but otherwise not that nutritious so rabbits need to eat a lot of it and their bodies are set up to work that way. Dry food is the opposite, low in fibre and high in calories, basically it's too rich and that is what causes the problems. I think if you reduce it, and shop around and see if there is a pellet that is better then that will make a big difference. It's important to change gradually though, so mix the old and the new together over a couple of weeks if you do change brands.

You'll probably find that once you reduce the dry food they'll eat more hay and that will make their poop better as they'll be getting the extra fibre.

I hand feed rabbit pellets as treats for my rabbit (instead of giving them in a bowl for dinner) he really likes them. I know they look boring but rabbits don't care about pretty colours - he thinks they are really tasty!! You can do the same with vegetables, just save a portion to use as treats, fresh herbs are great for this.

Basically you want your rabbits to eat a portion of hay about the size of their bodies every day, a very small portion of dry food and then the amount of vegetables is varies a bit more. Leafy parts are better than roots/fruits, which are where plants store their energy.

Thats a brilliant break down of it all :) Well done Tam:thumb: I agree with this advice also. My rabbits gain my trust better when I hand feed them too :)

Back