• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

i cannot afford to see emergancy vet, not sure what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkymum

Young Bun
obvisly my vet is shut as its a bank holiday. i have been out since early this morning, came home half an hour ago and found yoyo lying on the floor in his crate. he is breathing quite obvisly, maybe rapid? he has his eyes shut and has not moved at all. he was very wet, i presume wee? i have laid him on a soft duvet, and put a light blanket over him. his fur on his feet is quite matted which i have been dealing with recently, however i think i can see an open wound on his foot/hock.

I know he needs to see a vet, i so desperatly want to take him. but i have very little money, and cant afford the emergency vet which is not local and i really dont know what to do for the best. i am very scared for him and am so worried he is in pain. tomorrow i can get the money together. but no chance today as all my family is away.

i feel terrible, any ideas anyone?

I'd phone the vet and explain your financial position. As your bun is so poorly I am sure they will agree to see him today and let you pay tomorrow.

Good luck

He does sound very poorly :cry: I think if you explain that you can pay tomorrow the vet would agree to that. It's worth calling the out of hours number anyway.

Ok, as you know, he needs to see a vet, and I can tell you desperately want that to happen.

He also sounds very sick so he does need some help.

Is there anyone you could borrow money from?

Could you call the vet and discuss a payment plan? Maybe explain that you can get the money tomorrow and that it's no problem, but you can't borrow from people today. If they know you then they will hopefully be ok with this.

If not, Would you qualify for PDSA treatment? Or maybe call other vets in the area to see if they would accept payment tomorrow? Or could you call your family and see if someone could pay over the phone to the vets by card?

In the meantime, bring him inside, give him a heat source (some uncooked rice, put in a sock and heated in a microwave can work nicely- if it gets too warm then wrap it in a teatowel or similar, so he can have some warmth (just make sure it is warm, not hot). Keep calm around him too. If he is sociable with you and your presence would help him keep calm then you can talk to him in a calm voice, and maybe stroke him if this would calm him too (won't calm all rabbits). Also having the space darkened would be sensible too.

I'd phone the vet and explain your financial position. As your bun is so poorly I am sure they will agree to see him today and let you pay tomorrow.

Good luck

This. Witholding vet treatment is illegal too, please get help for your bunny :(

What is your geographical location ? Maybe we could help with suggestions of obtaining Veterinary treatment from the RSPCA/PDSA/Blue Cross if we knew roughly where you are.

A vet cannot not treat an animal, even if you can't afford it or not!

the vet HAS to treat it, the money can be sorted later!

so i would get it to a vet, and sort the money out with them later x

This. Witholding vet treatment is illegal too, please get help for your bunny :(

i would not withhold treatment on purpose at all even if was illegal. that comment has had me in tears.

i love my bunnies, and sadly in december i let my pet insurance lapse as we were genuinly skint. before posting this i had already rang my vets, which was shut, and then the emergancy number. i am genuinly trying to get him help.

the emergency vet will see him up untill 10pm for £72.50 plus other costs n treatment. if i had a way of getting hold of the money i would be there already. they will not let me pay tomorrow or wen i get paid on friday i begged them.

sky o thank you for your helpful advice. i often read your advice, you have a great knowledge, i have brought him, dried him, he is laying on a soft duvet in a darkened room. will try the rice idea in a minute.

because we were so skint, we are in the process of applying for benefgits, my husband lost his job, i think the emergency vet said if were currently recieving these benefits, then they could have helped us.

i am trying really hard to get the money to day, to get him there. i promise.

i live in enfield north london, i can travel, my husband will be back shortly with the car, i just have no way to pay today. i will accept any help anyone can give

i would not withhold treatment on purpose at all even if was illegal. that comment has had me in tears.

i love my bunnies, and sadly in december i let my pet insurance lapse as we were genuinly skint. before posting this i had already rang my vets, which was shut, and then the emergancy number. i am genuinly trying to get him help.

the emergency vet will see him up untill 10pm for £72.50 plus other costs n treatment. if i had a way of getting hold of the money i would be there already. they will not let me pay tomorrow or wen i get paid on friday i begged them.

sky o thank you for your helpful advice. i often read your advice, you have a great knowledge, i have brought him, dried him, he is laying on a soft duvet in a darkened room. will try the rice idea in a minute.

because we were so skint, we are in the process of applying for benefgits, my husband lost his job, i think the emergency vet said if were currently recieving these benefits, then they could have helped us.

i am trying really hard to get the money to day, to get him there. i promise.

*squishes tight*

If you'd prefer to talk via PM then I'm more than happy to chat with you if you would prefer that rather than talking publicly.

Another option would be to call the National Cruelty Line for the RSPCA and see what they suggest. Your local Branch is likely to be shut now, otherwise they would be another good port of call.

Whereabouts are you in the country?

Have you tried other emergency vets?

ETA- just seen your location- You're no where near me otherwise I would offer to meet you at my vets and pay for the treatment. I'm sorry that's not an option.

honestly, go to the vets, let them treat bunny and then say you have left your money at home in the rush to get there. it's dishonest yes, but better than losing your rabbit and him being in pain. i've done it before, i was upset and they understood. they can't do much after but wait for you to pay.

Please, please ring the emergency vet. I have rung them today and they were able to advise me over the phone which set my mind at rest. Where are you, perhaps someone on here can help if they know where you are? Animals are expensive we all know that but you really must get him to a vet asap. Are you entitled to PDSA help?

honestly, go to the vets, let them treat bunny and then say you have left your money at home in the rush to get there. it's dishonest yes, but better than losing your rabbit and him being in pain. i've done it before, i was upset and they understood. they can't do much after but wait for you to pay.

That's what I would do too, if I had to.

Do you know anyone with a credit card?

just wanted to let everyone know that i am not a nasty person, and am doing everything i can to get him the help he needs.
i only posted on here so i could get him help. i cannot people would pm me nasty messages, so will no longer resp[ond on this thred. for the people who tried to help. thank you. sky o, thank you, i have pmd you.

:shock: I'm so sorry people are sending you nasty messages. That's awful :cry: I hope you can find someone to help you. I would if I lived close to you. Please don't leave because of the nasty PMs, we can help xx

just wanted to let everyone know that i am not a nasty person, and am doing everything i can to get him the help he needs.
i only posted on here so i could get him help. i cannot people would pm me nasty messages, so will no longer resp[ond on this thred. for the people who tried to help. thank you. sky o, thank you, i have pmd you.

If you have received nasty PMs then please report them to the mods so they can take appropriate action. I'm about and will keep responding to any PMs you send me :)

Im very sad youve had nasty pms.
Thats horrible,unkind and downright rude.
PLEASE report them to the mods.Theyre the PURPLE members.xxxxx

PS Hope bun is ok.lots of love and good luck.xx

i'm sorry you have received nasty messages. i can see you are trying your best to find a solution. please keep us updated and i hope your rabbit will be ok. x

Is there anyone you know who will pay over the phone with a visa or a debit card? I often take my foster dogs and the lady who runs it just pays over the phone. If you ring the RSPCA they should offer to help you, Blue Cross also offer help. If you receive housing benefit or council tax benefit you will be eligible for PDSA help. Also ring around the various vets in your area, usually vets are accommodating and will accept payment at a later date (whats the point of all the training to help animals and then turning them away over a lack of money?) I hope you can get sorted.

Oh god, I feel your pain! Fiver went into stasis today for the first time ever and I had to rush him to the vets. £85 to walk through the door before treatment :( And that was the cheapest place I found! I don't have that kind of money (I only get £97 a week!) but fortunately I have amazing parents who lent me the money. Your not a bad person, out of hours vets are extortionate. It's basically robbery and I find it very hard to believe that it costs this much for a vet to come out when they are meant to be "off".

Good luck and sending you and your bun lots of vibes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back