• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just got back from the emergency vets

Bea & Floss

Mama Doe
Bugsy is in stasis :( but he's been given fluids, zantac and metoclopramide and critical care so hopefully he will be back to his usual bouncy self soon.

And I am so blessed to have such lovely kind vets, they didn't charge me an emergency fee just the usual consult and for the meds :)

Is that unusual? She said it could irritate/damage an empty stomach

My Vet always gives pain relief in GI stasis cases. If for any reason Metacam is contraindicated then there are alternatives such as Vetergesic. Thing is a Rabbit in pain wont eat, gut stasis is painful- vicious circle really.

Hi Tanya.

Have to agree 100% with Jane, as the stasis will only be the symptom of something else and that something else is most likely causing any pain which is preventing the eating, I think that pain relief of some kind is essential to get any stasis bun on track. Not all pain relief will cause any issue on an empty stomach, but in any event the risks from the pain meds are far outwayed by the risks from not wanting to eat in my opinion.

Let me know if you need anything as I'm around all afternoon.

Last edited:
I did ask for it and Gill she wouldn't really want to???? so I'm confused now! On a bonus he has just eaten 1 apple leaf :)

I'll give you a call Helen x

I went against the vets advice and gave him some metacam and

He's now eaten and pooed :D *jumps up and down and does a little dance*

Back