• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bramble - UD: 22/01/12

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
Came upstairs to go to bed around half 1... Went to give Bramble his nightly veg and immediately became very worried as he didn't hop straight over.

Stroked him, he didn't move. So picked him up... usually an indication of how he's feeling. Instead of fighting back, he just flopped. His eyes were all droopy and mostly closed and his ears were burning.

Started crying and shouting for Tom, rang emergency vets. Said she'd be at the surgery in 15 minutes. Hoody on, jammie bottoms, Phoebe out of bed and in car. Got to surgery in 15mins.

Turns out, was my old vet from another practise. VERY bunny savvy.

She looked over Bramble. Tummy was nice and soft but his eyes are still blocked (he's in for tear duct flushing after Christmas). Listened to chest, very raspy. Took temp - 107!!!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't believe it. Bramble's breathing was horrendous by this point.

He was given an injection of metacam, baytril and millophylline. Then he was put on oxygen for over 40 minutes. Seemed to help.

Home with baytril for 3 weeks and metacam. Although, if baytril isn't helping within next two days, we're back for a different antibiotic. Have to ring Katherine if anything gets worse as she's the one on call.

He's now in the bathroom to keep him cool tonight, has a big bowl of fresh water, his carrier as a hide, towels and fleece on the floor and some mashed veg (recommended by K as we don't want his tummy too full, as lungs need lots of room at the moment)

He's perked up slightly. Was atleast hopping about a bit and more alert before I came to bed 10 mins ago. Hoping cool bathroom helps with his temperature.

PLEASE, please, please can we have some vibes? I know I haven't been on much lately but have ZERO experience with resp problems in buns and would appreciate any and all advice.

I love my house bunny Bramble and couldn't imagine our home without him. He's not the most affectionate bun at times but tonight, he nuzzled right into me and nudged my nose with his. We all truly love him.

I don't even mind that I'm now down £223 just from tonight :(

Last edited:
Vibes for Bramble! ((((((((((((Healing vibes)))))))))))))))))

My goodness I can't imagine 107 temp! I know they normally run higher than most animals, but wow. :(
Hope he recovers quickly. Poor sweetie.

Doesn't matter how often you come on, if you need support you need support!! Massive vibes for little Bramble and hugs for you. Thank goodness your savvy vet was there!

How is Bramble this morning?? I hope he has improved and is feeling better after his emergency vet trip!! Sending tons of vibes!!

Brambles temperature seems to have gone down, his ears are nice and cool. His eyes are still discharge-y but his breathing has relaxed a lot.

The problem I have now is that overnight, he has only did the teeniest of poops. There's maybe only 3 or 4 there and they're very small.

What do I do about this? I'm so worried.

Do we need to go for a gut injection? Or do I just try and syringe him food today? If so, how much and what?????? And how often?????

What a shame, you poor souls. Has he had metacam today because he may well be sore. I would syringe feed about half an hour after giving it to let it kick in and then leave him alone. I would also give him some water. I would also call the vet and see what they think you need to do after his visit last night. If he is pooping by late afternoon once he's been syringe fed, I would definitely get him back to the vet.

I hope Bramble keeps improving :)

Is Bramble eating himself?

Is he able to eat himself if his breathing is difficult?

I hope Bramble keeps improving :)

Is Bramble eating himself?

Is he able to eat himself if his breathing is difficult?

He's just started drinking... So watching him do this. He's taking a few sips and then washing, then drinking again. He's not had a huge amount to drink so not sure whether to still syringe him :/

Am just about to give him his dose of metacam. Vet said if he doesn't improve in an hour, we've to go to the surgery and she'll give me stronger (morphine based) painkillers. He has just been teeth grinding so I know he's sore.

He's not been eating at all from what I can see (gave him mashed up veg when we got home at 3am this morning and none have been touched) Vet said on the phone a few mins ago to get him baby food so OH has just gone out. She said try to syringe him 5 x 5ml syringes as he's a 4.6kg bun.

Going to give him his baytril too.

Just watching him wash and then will give him his meds. Don't want to disturb him as it's the first I've seen him wash since yesterday :(

OH has brought back 'strawberries and apple' baby food. Was the only one there not meat-based.

Is this ok?????

Not an expert but that sounds good to me.

Poor Bramble :( I really hope he feels better very soon xxx Sending lots of vibes!

Sending vibes for Bramble xx

I also checked your thread to see if you said how much you paid. It just cost us £200 to have a bunny pts, but like you say, it doesn't matter as we just had to do what was best by Nutmeg

fruit ones as long as no dairy is fine.....my buns fave is hipp apple and pear pudding...since my very first housebun its been a bunny fave!!!

could the vet give him zantac too.....no eating gives awful gut burning poss ulcerations. I think the jab for pain theyd give him would prob be vetergesic....great for pain...but not sure about resp problems and not eating...bertie was given it once and he slept solid for 4 hrs....we couldnt even rouse him!!

i feel for you with the resp problem.......berties a pasteurella bun..now on his lungs....his recent hospitalisation was touch n go for him..when he came home he was worse than ever:cry: but is a lot less noisy than he was but still raspy and not too great esp when he snores!!

our dazy-mae had a rampant high fever and only showed mild gi symptoms then a haematome on her belly from fighting with merlin. ?Her fever was 42C they managed to get it down to higher side of normal...but whatever infection she was hiding meant her being pts next day. But she had no resp symptoms or anything else....post mortem wasnt much help.

Berties fever was that high when bluebell had one of her fever and off food bouts she had a lot. He thought shed died..the stress flared up his pasteurella and he was snuffly raspy....not at all well and dragging his back legs. vet said it was prob what we said..stress brings on symptoms. He gave him shots of alomycin antibx every 3 days for a week...it helped bertie no end. the legs were the fever had inflammed arthritis in his left hind leg that we didnt know he had

alomycin helped but he had relapses....hed once had depocillin jabs over a long time..that helped...this time he had alomycin jabs there and septrin to come home with..is helping. good luck xx

Back