• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reporting a Miximitosis outbreak/problem

Emme

New Kit
I'm looking for some guidance on a mixi issue in my families local area. They live on the boarders of Leicestershire & Nottinghamshire. There are many wild rabbits that appear to be affected by this dreadful disease.

I have no idea if this is something that should be reported or has been reported. Can someone point me in the right direction to find out?

From what I understand, wild rabbits can't be treated. Is this correct? Is it possible to stop it from spreading?

It's really upsetting me to see so many sick rabbits and I feel helpless :(
Emme

(I'm really sorry if this subject has been addressed on this forum previously, I haven't had time to scour old posts.)

Last edited:
I'm looking for some guidance on a mixi issue in my families local area. They live on the boarders of Leicestershire & Nottinghamshire. There are many wild rabbits that appear to be affected by this dreadful disease.

I have no idea if this is something that should be reported or has been reported. Can someone point me in the right direction to find out?

From what I understand, wild rabbits can't be treated. Is this correct? Is it possible to stop it from spreading?

It's really upsetting me to see so many sick rabbits and I feel helpless :(
Emme

(I'm really sorry if this subject has been addressed on this forum previously, I haven't had time to scour old posts.)

Hello

Myxomatosis is endemic in the UK. It is not a notifiable disease.

There are no treatment options for wild Rabbit colonies. If an effected individual Rabbit is caught then humane euthanasia would be the action needed.

Pet Rabbits, including those kept as House Rabbits, are susceptible to Myxomatosis. There is a vaccination against the disease which if given every 6 months can offer some protection. A vaccinated Rabbit may still contract Myxomatosis, but usually it is the nodular form and the Rabbit can recover with veterinary treatment and good nursing care.

We have a thread on this Forum where people can post details of known outbreaks. But as I have said, the Disease is not officially notifiable to DEFRA

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?178702-Myxomatosis-Outbreaks-2010-2011

Here is some information about protecting your Rabbits from this nasty disease

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/understanding_myxo_feb06.htm

Back